Oil Consumption-Can Anything Be Done?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Update on this. I ran the redline fuel system cleaner and have been running the truck hard! I am just about through a full tank with the redline.
I emailed redline and they said to run 1.5 ounces of cleaner per 10 gallons of gas after the first tank with a full bottle of cleaner is finished.

I've put about 350 miles on since I topped up the oil and filled the tank with redline. No noticeable drop in the oil level yet, but I haven't driven very far.

I'm probably going to drive another thousand miles and see what happens. I usually have to add about a half quart every 1200 miles. That will tell me if the redline did anything.

Also, I installed a mishimoto catch can. I'll probably check that in about 500 miles just to see what is in there.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just checked the catch can after the first 550 miles with it. Had about 2 tablespoons of oil in it. Have about 800 miles since topping up the oil and it doesn't seem to have dropped any. I don't have a frame of reference but 2 tablespoons in the catch can doesn't seem too bad to me after 550 miles.

OP
OP
S

Sean J Blackburn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Noticed that the oil in my catch can was very, very dark and that oil has only been in the truck for 2k miles since I discovered the oil burn problem. Pretty sure when the oil got so low before I noticed it left some sludge behind.

I did a liqui moli flush and refilled with super tech synthetic. It got dark on me but the plan is to run the truck for a day and drain and refill with Mobil 1 extended performance high mileage tomorrow afternoon. I will run the factory specified 5w20. If I'm still burning at the next change I'll try 5w30.

The reason I'm doing another oil change a day after the first is I don't want any trace of that liqui moli left in the truck, hence the sacrificial super tech that will pick up whatever is left after the initial drain on the old oil with flush.

I seem to be burning significantly less oil after 2 bottles of redline and figured I would run the liqui moli flush in case the oil control rings were sticky etc.,and to clean out any deposits.

So far things seem to be going in the right direction. I'll update again once I've got some more miles on the fresh oil that's going in tomorrow.