ok I need some advice, 2004 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DouglasReisinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my 04 Ram I spent several thousand fixing the body rust, new rockers, new fuel tank, rebuilt rear end, just had one side exhaust manifold studs fixed for inspection. Overall we now have over $7000 in this truck. It was only supposed to be 5 to get all the rust removed, painted etc. So now I noticed since I went to the Pennzoil premium synth oil I have a burnt oil smell coming from the truck. It doesn't seem to be burning oil as I checked and it's still pretty full. Obviously it's burning some or I wouldn't smell it. The other day after we pulled the camper into the campsite I saw the smoke coming from the exhaust. The truck has 144,000 miles and I don't want to give up yet but I'm tired of putting money in it. What's my options? Anybody have success using the rislone oil treatment.

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Exhaust ? Do you mean out the tail pipes or smoking exhaust manifold?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would run a compression check on all the cylinders to see if it’s across the boards or a single cylinder. And switch back to a high mileage oil (in whatever brand and assuming conventional) this might help. Have you checked/changed your PCV valve ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DouglasReisinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did just change the PCV valve, I also had a broken lifter spring recently and had that changed. I believe he did a compression check on all the cylinders to find that when it wasn't running properly a few months ago. I noticed the smell after switching to the Pennzoil Platinum 5-20 awhile back. Been thinking about switching back to regular oil to see if this helps.