2004 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Is Producing Oil Smoke At Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Insephet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
I bought a used truck from marketplace a while ago and didn't see this problem when I was test driving it, good job me. I have now figured out that it is burning a heavy amount of oil when it is idling. If I sit for a minute at idle and then rev the smoke gets forced out of the exhaust and creates a big white cloud behind me. If I sit there and hold the rev above idle no smoke comes out, and I don't notice any smoke while driving.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
OP
OP
I

Insephet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
And to elaborate:
Oil = piston rings/cylinder walls. Water/coolant = head gasket.

OP, did you have a question or just here to vent?
I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas on it, I don't know too much about internal engine diagnostics and wanted to see if it could be anything else that is specific to this engine. I've been hearing from a lot of people that it is probably valve guides, as it doesn't constantly blow smoke after the cloud exits the exhaust when revved up.

Also, yes I do know that oil smoke is mostly described as blue, I also smell the oil burning which is why I said that it was oil smoke.

That being said, does anybody recommend a place in the Knoxville area that I can take it in and have work done on it? I do not have the space, nor the tools necessary to do any rebuild or repair at home.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There used to be a modulator valve on the transmission that uses engine vacuum if that valve goes bad it can start sucking Trans fluid and hence smoking tail pipe I would do a compression test, dry one first, a wet one next use a pump oil can and squirt a couple of shots in the spark plug hole and see if the compression increases the oil helps the rings seal, that will tell you the condition of the piston rings.

KenR 955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas on it, I don't know too much about internal engine diagnostics and wanted to see if it could be anything else that is specific to this engine. I've been hearing from a lot of people that it is probably valve guides, as it doesn't constantly blow smoke after the cloud exits the exhaust when revved up.

Also, yes I do know that oil smoke is mostly described as blue, I also smell the oil burning which is why I said that it was oil smoke.

That being said, does anybody recommend a place in the Knoxville area that I can take it in and have work done on it? I do not have the space, nor the tools necessary to do any rebuild or repair at home.
Ellis auto in Seymour is highly recommended, as is County line garage.