Old truck hates the cold I guess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hotrod1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Once again I'm gunna dive into the wealth of knowledge here after such a speedy and helpful response the last time.

The truck had been doing this since it's gotten cold here in Texas (was 29° this morning) when I first start it up in the am it doesn't want to stay running. Its fires off on the first hit but the rpms are really low and bouncing like its starving for fuel long as i let it run babysitting it for 5-10 mins it stays running fine, if not itll die not when i put it in revese but whe. I let off and hit the brake to go into drive unless i hold te rpms alitte which about requires a third foot lol. Only really does it if its less that about 40° in the mornings or it starts fine n will continue to be fine all day regardless. I need to check the fuel pressure sometime to see if its the pump but wanted to see if y'all have any other thoughts. Also would it be better to check the fuel pressure first think in the morning when its cold or does it matter?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Check fuel pressure and try cleaning up the throttle body and IAC (don't move the pintle at all, just spray it down with throttle body cleaner). See if it improves and post results of fuel pressure test.

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
T-body is clean and IAC is new. Just did the plenum kit and change a bunch of stuff while I was at it. Plugs, wires, cap n rotor, and the timing chain. Will post fuel pressure soon as u get a gage. Tomorrow if the old lady is nice to me but maybe Thursday when I get paid

OP
OP
H

Hotrod1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright I checked the fuel pressure just now sitting in front of O'Reillys. Key on its sitting at 29lbs and started its sitting right at 50lbs. The 50 sounds about right bit I would think it would have more with the key on as thats its way of priming the system correct?