OPT7 lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U-LUZE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anybody used these with non-projectors? Do they scatter like HIDs?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Has anybody used these with non-projectors? Do they scatter like HIDs?
Yes, I have them in my quads. They scatter, but so do the halogens. They put out much more light than halogens and as long as you aim them lower you won't blind other drivers (unless you have a lift that overcomes the headlight adjustment).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to bring this back up. Now that some of you, besides AB, have been using the OPT7 bulbs for a while. What's your take on them? Still enjoying them, any issues with fitment, or flickering, or longevity?

I've had them for close to 7 months, haven't had any issues. While they are definitely better than stock, I kinda feel like they aren't as bright as others I've seen. My jeep has halogen bulbs in a projector housing and I like the way they function better than these do in quads. I am doing a major overhaul on my truck and bought new projector housings and am switching over to HIDs. I'll probably put the opt 7 bulbs in my jeep and see how they work with projector housings. I'm guessing the scatter and fact that they are in dual housings is the reason I'm not completely happy with them. I'd say I'm 85% satisfied but I have a hard time settling for anything less than 100%.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Many tests showing that the LEDs, while brighter to look at, don't throw as much light as far down the road in a reflector-type housing.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Many tests showing that the LEDs, while brighter to look at, don't throw as much light as far down the road in a reflector-type housing.
I have to ask, relative to what?

U-LUZE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a Kensun HID kit in my SRT and I also have the same kit in my 2011 Durango. The SRT I haven't had any issues. Very bright and cleaner light. In the Durango it is the same way but I get the occasional pissed off driver high beaming me. That's the main reason I haven't put them in my ram yet, since the truck sits higher and will appear brighter yet to oncoming cars. You're probably right, that if I aim them lower I may be OK. I want to go with projectors eventually in the Ram. Never had a high beam flashed at me in the SRT.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I had a Kensun HID kit in my SRT and I also have the same kit in my 2011 Durango. The SRT I haven't had any issues. Very bright and cleaner light. In the Durango it is the same way but I get the occasional pissed off driver high beaming me. That's the main reason I haven't put them in my ram yet, since the truck sits higher and will appear brighter yet to oncoming cars. You're probably right, that if I aim them lower I may be OK. I want to go with projectors eventually in the Ram. Never had a high beam flashed at me in the SRT.
I will admit, I was worried at first having to keep adjusting them downwards. Relative to a premium halogen though, these are much brighter. I haven't seen these in a projector housing yet so I'd be interested to hear your results if you go this route.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Relative to regular halogen bulbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair enough...that's not been my anecdotal experience with the OPT7s or the cheap Chinese bulbs that I first had (but they failed).

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Fair enough...that's not been my anecdotal experience with the OPT7s or the cheap Chinese bulbs that I first had (but they failed).

I'm guessing it's critical to get the LEDs aligned just so. Glad they work well for you.

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
opt7 fluxbeam disappointed

installed it on my 14 ram sport with projector case. it is much brighter than stock but the throw is very disappointing. it might be because the projector does not have enough reflectors inside than the quad lamp. anyone else find the same experience? if yes, what did you end up with? HID?

thanks

RAMblin1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
installed it on my 14 ram sport with projector case. it is much brighter than stock but the throw is very disappointing. it might be because the projector does not have enough reflectors inside than the quad lamp. anyone else find the same experience? if yes, what did you end up with? HID?

thanks

If you have quads you have no projector...or did you retrofit them? I had them in quads and the throw wasn't amazing...but then again you have to aim them so low due to scatter. I upgraded to projector housings with an HID kit and it's night and day...no pun intended.

EDIT*. Sorry read that and missed that you have projectors...that is weird that throw isn't good enough. I'd try aiming them up since the projectors I have actually do a good job of keeping the light down with a good cut off. I can't fathom HID bulb vs LED bulb would cause different results in terms of cutoff and scatter.

Last edited:

RamRMK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had the lows since last December with no issues.

bisdak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If you have quads you have no projector...or did you retrofit them? I had them in quads and the throw wasn't amazing...but then again you have to aim them so low due to scatter. I upgraded to projector housings with an HID kit and it's night and day...no pun intended.

EDIT*. Sorry read that and missed that you have projectors...that is weird that throw isn't good enough. I'd try aiming them up since the projectors I have actually do a good job of keeping the light down with a good cut off. I can't fathom HID bulb vs LED bulb would cause different results in terms of cutoff and scatter.

UPDATE: I replaced the fluxbeam with OPT7's Canbus HID. Yes, difference is night and day on head lamp with projector. The new disappointment I had with OPT7 is one of the bulbs is yellower. Yes, they are sending a replacement, great. Replacing the bulb on this ram head lamp is just too painful. Then the left headlamp vertical adjuster is broken. So I had to tie it for adjust. I'll stick with this until I find a good after-market replacement.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

thanks
The morimoto 2stroke bulbs seem to work better in the projectors

zstampe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you guys have the dust caps installed or not? I installed mine but don't want them to get to hot and mess the bulbs up