Options for fender well liner rub on 2/4 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilligaf-23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive had the belltech 2/4 drop with street performance shocks for a year+. Things were good for awhile, rode great and only rubbed when high at high speed on a dip. but now rubs on most dips on the fender liner. It seems the springs and everything have finally settled.
I have the stock R/T 22" wheels, tires are 32"
Is there any options besides different tires to help?
Would different firmer shocks help reduce? Looking at the QA1 shocks, but if it wont change anything then want to put money elsewhere.
Switch to a 2" knuckle drop instead of spring?
Or am I just fighting an uphill battle with stock wheels and tires and go back to stock springs?
Just want to what options I have.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
I had a similar issue, I had 305/45/22 tires on there and they were rubbing on large bumps and pot holes, I since changed over to 305/40/22 and made a huge difference. Not sue if different shocks would assist with the bottoming out.

OP
OP
Dilligaf-23

Dilligaf-23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar issue, I had 305/45/22 tires on there and they were rubbing on large bumps and pot holes, I since changed over to 305/40/22 and made a huge difference. Not sue if different shocks would assist with the bottoming out.
I switched from beltech street performance shocks to the QA1's. HUGE improvement. Still every now and then a rub, but nothing like it was before

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm doing a 4/6 IHC drop over the winter and this is one reason I'm planning to sell my 22's and go to 17's. The other reason is for a better ride, besides, I never liked the big wheel small tire look.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm doing a 4/6 IHC drop over the winter and this is one reason I'm planning to sell my 22's and go to 17's. The other reason is for a better ride, besides, I never liked the big wheel small tire look.
When are you doing an 8 speed swap,lol

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When are you doing an 8 speed swap,lol
Good question. For this year I think I've about done all I want to. I want to do a cam and 6.4 intake next year, so that will require the 8 speed swap, as the 5 speed won't hold up to that much power. That gives me all year to find a trans and the other needed computers, shifter, and such.
One thing I am considering is a gear swap. I have the 4:11's now, but with going to 30" tires, to clear the fender liners, and having to go to an even smaller 28" race tire, cuz that's about the biggest they make, I'm considering going to a 28" tire all the way around, as there's more options in performance tires in 28". That will bump up my rpm's by about 3-400 I think, so I'm debating going to a 3:70 gear. I'm having the true trac installed early January and that would be the ideal time to change gears.
The other consideration with going to 28" tires would be if that makes it too low causing constant bottoming out and scraping the ground. I wish I would have measured the crossmember height so I would know how low I could go. I still want to be able to drive this truck normally in the summer, not just race it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Good question. For this year I think I've about done all I want to. I want to do a cam and 6.4 intake next year, so that will require the 8 speed swap, as the 5 speed won't hold up to that much power. That gives me all year to find a trans and the other needed computers, shifter, and such.
One thing I am considering is a gear swap. I have the 4:11's now, but with going to 30" tires, to clear the fender liners, and having to go to an even smaller 28" race tire, cuz that's about the biggest they make, I'm considering going to a 28" tire all the way around, as there's more options in performance tires in 28". That will bump up my rpm's by about 3-400 I think, so I'm debating going to a 3:70 gear. I'm having the true trac installed early January and that would be the ideal time to change gears.
The other consideration with going to 28" tires would be if that makes it too low causing constant bottoming out and scraping the ground. I wish I would have measured the crossmember height so I would know how low I could go. I still want to be able to drive this truck normally in the summer, not just race it.
3.55's is what i'd do with a 28" tire.That's pretty close to what you'd have with a 4.18/4.20 rear gear and a 33" tire.If you like high speed freeway cruising,i'd even consider 3.21's. I went from 3.21's to 3.55's with a 28" drag radial and didn't gain squat at the track,but my milege took a $h!t kicking and my oil temps also had a noticable increase at 75+ mph

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
3.55's is what i'd do with a 28" tire.That's pretty close to what you'd have with a 4.18/4.20 rear gear and a 33" tire.If you like high speed freeway cruising,i'd even consider 3.21's. I went from 3.21's to 3.55's with a 28" drag radial and didn't gain squat at the track,but my milege took a $h!t kicking and my oil temps also had a noticable increase at 75+ mph
I don't know if your numbers are right, you list 4:18/20 gears and a 33"tire. I have 4:10's and a 32" tire. I know the difference isn't much.
My biggest concern would be the crossmember and exhaust scraping the ground. I have a 4/6 drop kit, plus another inch going to a 30" tire, if I go to a 28" tire that drops the frame another inch, for a total of a 6" drop. I don't know if I have enough clearance for that. I'll have to get that front end together and set it on the ground to see what I have. I know the rear isn't an issue.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't know if your numbers are right, you list 4:18/20 gears and a 33"tire. I have 4:10's and a 32" tire. I know the difference isn't much.
My biggest concern would be the crossmember and exhaust scraping the ground. I have a 4/6 drop kit, plus another inch going to a 30" tire, if I go to a 28" tire that drops the frame another inch, for a total of a 6" drop. I don't know if I have enough clearance for that. I'll have to get that front end together and set it on the ground to see what I have. I know the rear isn't an issue.
Little tidbit for you,a 4/6 drop isn't really great for the track,unless you go to a custom 4 link set-up,even the relocation brackets don't really bring the rear geometery back into spec enough for a 6" rear drop.I'd stick to a 2/4 drop at most with the relocation brackets,if the trucks going to be seeing any amount of track time.
Your right if you have 32" tires,i was just going off what most guys have with the 22" rims,a 32" tire with 4.10's is pretty close to the same effective ratio you'd have with a 28" tire and 3.55's..I f you plan on 8 speed swapping it,you have to factor in the 8 speeds stump pulling 4.71:1 first gear,so you don't really need a set of deep gears to utilize it's first gear,you'll blow right through it's first gear way to fast,with a deep overall final drive ratio
Don't get hung up on going super low if the trucks going to see track use

Last edited:

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I really wasn't planning on going super low, just trying to find tires that will fit and work, without spending all of my play money. I was just considering using 28" due to there being more options with that size. but concerned about being too low and scraping. I do have a pair of coil spring pads that the end of the spring sits on that I could use to raise it a little. I am going to put it on the ground and see where it sits as is.
Since I am going to get the true trac installed next month it would be a perfect time to also swap gears.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I really wasn't planning on going super low, just trying to find tires that will fit and work, without spending all of my play money. I was just considering using 28" due to there being more options with that size. but concerned about being too low and scraping. I do have a pair of coil spring pads that the end of the spring sits on that I could use to raise it a little. I am going to put it on the ground and see where it sits as is.
Since I am going to get the true trac installed next month it would be a perfect time to also swap gears.
A 4/6 is pretty low,especially if you want the rear suspension to provide some body seperation and plant the tires into the pavement

Racer9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, it isn't meant to be a racer, just have a little fun now and then on the track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat