Ordered HIDs and had some question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I've ordered me a few HID kits... normally I go to DDM tuning but since they ship from china anymore A) it takes way to long and b) the last few kits ive gotten have SUCKED... So I ordered from Retro-Shop.us which i will say does amazing custom retrofitted headlights :).

Anyways onto HIDs...

I'm going to do the install tomorrow...

From what I can see theres ALOT of grounds... Est. 6-8 grounds for headlights and fog lights total.. I'm not quite sure where to hook all of these grounds.... and where to mount ballast and all that.. I've installed HIDs in the following before
2005 Chevy Silverado
2011 Scion TC
2003 Dodge Ram...

and now wanting to put them in my Dodge ram 2012... Just know theres lots of people that have done these installs so wanted to get yalls opinions

Heres the links to what I bought so you can see the kit and wiring and give me some ideas :)

Fog Lights - H10 35w 6k - 2009+ Dodge Ram HIDs - for Fog lights

HeadLights - H13 50w 6k- 09-12 Dodge Ram HIDs - for "Dual" (H13) lights

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did just the head lights and mine were quads but same idea. I mounted my ballasts underneath the headlights but there's also a angled piece of frame behind the light you can mount it to. As for the grounds they didn't cause me any problems. Just make sure you secure them directly to metal. I think I grounded mine on a piece of frame beside the grille.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just didnt wanna take a chance of ballast getting to hot with the headlight housing so close ya know

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
s but there's also a angled piece of frame behind the light you can mount it to.

That's where my ballast are mounted. Works fine.
Find any metal to metal bolt for the ground. I forget where I hooked mine up..lol

ramstein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue too. I still haven't installed mine yet but the main problem I found after I attempted to install was that the issue wasnt where to mount the ballasts, it was where to ground them after you mounted them. There wasnt exactly a good piece of metal frame to mount the ballasts to AND a piece of metal frame that the ground wire from the ballast could reach to. I plan on getting some extension wires to have more options to ground. Does anybody know if we have to scuff away the black paint on the frame and can we ground two or more things in one spot??? Good luck with the install, post pics of where you decide to mount your stuff!

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mount ballasts on the inside of the angled piece of frame and DRILL a small pilot hole and then use self-tapping screws for EACH ground on the outside of the angled frame.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mount ballasts on the inside of the angled piece of frame and DRILL a small pilot hole and then use self-tapping screws for EACH ground on the outside of the angled frame.

See thats why i have been told... Make your own pilot hole..and make your own grounds

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody know if we have to scuff away the black paint on the frame and can we ground two or more things in one spot???
ALWAYS sand through paint to ground to bare metal. You can "piggyback" multple ground lugs on top of one another without problem, but that just makes sanding through the paint even more important. You can spred some dielectric grease over the lugs once everything is tight to make sure no corrosion sets in.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So its okay to stack 3-4 grounds on top of each other as long as the bolts long enough?

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So its okay to stack 3-4 grounds on top of each other as long as the bolts long enough?

My advice is not to do it. I did it on my 2010 and had flickering/light out issues even with star washers in between. I tore it back apart and grounded them individually and my issue went away.

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue too. I still haven't installed mine yet but the main problem I found after I attempted to install was that the issue wasnt where to mount the ballasts, it was where to ground them after you mounted them. There wasnt exactly a good piece of metal frame to mount the ballasts to AND a piece of metal frame that the ground wire from the ballast could reach to. I plan on getting some extension wires to have more options to ground. Does anybody know if we have to scuff away the black paint on the frame and can we ground two or more things in one spot??? Good luck with the install, post pics of where you decide to mount your stuff!

Yes you have to scuff it. If you can't find exposed steel you gotta do it yourself. You can't ground it to the paint or you'll have problems.

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just didnt wanna take a chance of ballast getting to hot with the headlight housing so close ya know

I haven't heard of the ballasts getting hot enough to do any damage. Like I said I installed mine under the headlights. I used the angled part of the frame to mount the resistors for my switchback signal lights which do get very hot so I wanted them as far from the housing as I could get them.

OP
OP
N

novalok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay I won't stack 4 grounds on top but it's okay to do multiple separate grounds to the same piece of metal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
This is where I put them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 41

MiRamDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's right in front of the battery. There was a rubber bumper cover there. I Took it off to find a perfect spot.

That's where I mount my relays. I like the "Factory" look.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here's a better pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 34

SprayTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you have multiple grounds connected together it creates a 'ground loop'. In audio systems this will create engine whine noise to be played through the speakers. Creating individual ground points stops the loop.
I'm not sure how this plays into the lighting system, but it seems to me that creating a looped 'buzzing' in the electric circuits it probably would interfere with the operation of any transistors.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk