P indicator flashes when in Park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wggerrett

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
2017 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi. P indicator always flashes when in park. No codes present. Works fine through gears and indicates normally. Once back in park, P flashes and key will not turn past aux and it will not release key. Have to disconnect battery to release key, then process starts all over.

Last edited:

Davood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 4x4
any response on this. I have the same problem with my 2017 5.7 Hemi. wont shift out of Park.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If this is an original EVIC then your shift linkage might be out of adjustment or whatever senses position is not working.
I have an 8 speed EVIC in a 6 speed 3500 and the P flashes with no other problems because the EVIC apparently does not see the appropriate park signal.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If this is an original EVIC then your shift linkage might be out of adjustment or whatever senses position is not working.
I have an 8 speed EVIC in a 6 speed 3500 and the P flashes with no other problems because the EVIC apparently does not see the appropriate park signal.
The OP has a 1500 with the 8-speed ZF tranny, it is controlled electronically, no linkage.

OP - 4x4 or 2x4? There has to be a DTC set, do you have access to a code reader, one that can look at specific modules like the transmission?

My best guess is for some reason, the transmission, while actually in park, does not think it is.

Dksmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to bring up an old tread but I’m having the same issue as OP. Just swapped out my cluster for my Tradesmen to a premium Evic and the Indicator for park is flashing. Everything works perfectly fine. Just annoying tbh.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine did that when the battery flaked out. But if you've been driving your tk regularly it might not be it.

Still... always worth a quick inspection of the battery terminal and major ground points (above front L tire, near fuel filler neck, battery>body ground)

Dksmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine did that when the battery flaked out. But if you've been driving your tk regularly it might not be it.

Still... always worth a quick inspection of the battery terminal and major ground points (above front L tire, near fuel filler neck, battery>body ground)
I will check it out this weekend. Yeah truck runs just fine. Didn't show on original cluster at all.

Dksmoke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Checked battery everything is perfect. Tight terminals and all.