P0420

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Twistedwithin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So,on the way to work I get the great check engine light again. This time it p0420, which I'm assuming is the cat?, looking for advice on what to do with this,do I really need to replace the cat? Can I delete it ?, and if I delete it(no emissions where I'm at) will the check engine light be on forever?

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It could be a cat starting to plug, a bad O2 sensor, etc. If your truck's fuel economy hasn't drastically dropped and isn't running rough, you can probably get away with just clearing the code for a while. It may be on the line of being out of tolerance and may even go away on its own. I dealt with that code on one of my previous vehicles for a couple years and never had an issue. I would clear the code and the code would come back every month or two.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine are free flowing and I only get a code maybe once a year. I used a couple of spark plug non-foulers on the rear o2 sensor to space it out of the direct flow.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
P0420 Dodge Code - Catalyst System Efficiency Bank 1

I found this site to be the most accurate