P0520 and P0522 3.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My 2014 3.6L 1500 recently got P0520 and P0522 codes. After extensive research, it would seem it is most likely an oil pressure sensor gone bad. I would normally swap it out and see if it fixes my problem. However, in this case, I have a 3.6L and swapping it out seems like a PITA (i.e. removing the intake manifold, awkward location) AND I don't have the typical symptom everyone mentions (i.e. sensor showing max or min pressure). In my case, the sensor seems to be showing pressure continuously varying somewhere between 240 and 305 kPa (I think that is fairly normal?). See this video of my pressure sensor reading in action:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/1xft...7.43.mp4?rlkey=isg3adls2vwg7t7tvqqf8wid5&dl=0

So the sensor seems to be working. I understand it might be a problem with the harness... but I don't really know how to check that. I did change my oil after the code came up and it didn't change anything. Oil level is ok.

Before I start taking everything apart, what would your approach be to this situation? I would love to hear what you think and what you would do. I don't really feel like taking the top of my engine apart if there is other stuff I should do first, please let me know! Thanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
what weight is the oil that you are using

I heard or i should say read, that someone used a bigger size oil filter & it worked for them ??
Haha, I had seen that video and the comment... I'm using 5w-20. Haven't changed the filter model I use, so it would be weird that that is suddenly the problem, no? For once I kind wish I had the hemi...oh the easy sensor placement...

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The sensors just go bad sometimes they tend to leak a little have had a few that still read semi accurate. Also while your in there re seal your oil cooler because it WILL leak if it doesnt already.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
sort of reminds me of all those Ford V-8 oil sensors that i changed, they developed a crack & leak a good bit

OP
OP
P

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Turns out I also have a small oil leak, I have small drips in the snow below my engine. Do you guys now suggest I just replace the full oil cooler assembly instead?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Turns out I also have a small oil leak, I have small drips in the snow below my engine. Do you guys now suggest I just replace the full oil cooler assembly instead?
Yes! That plastic oil cooler assembly is a weak link. Constant cooling of plastic sitting in the valley of an aluminum V block. What were they thinking? Anyway I have a 2018 and just replaced mine as I had a coolant leak from a failed seal. Don’t know how many miles you have on the truck but since you have to pull the intake manifold, change the spark plugs. While I was in there I changed my knock sensors just as a precaution. They are 15-20 bucks each so it was worth not going through the hassle for me. It’s also a bit easier to get to the thermostat and the PCV valve with the manifold and wiring pushed out of the way so I changed them too. You also may want to consider draining the oil and coolant as it’s going to get some contamination when you pull that housing. Makes it easier to clean up too. It really is a PITA and it will take the whole day to do.