Disconnected hose 3.6L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a P0456 code (evap) and went to check the purge valve when I found the hose in the picture disconnected. I can't find where to reconnect it. Please help. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L. Thanks!

20240111_150542.jpg

After some more digging, I found that it might be a vent for the transmission. Is this accurate? If so, is it supposed to be connected to something or just hanging there like that? I assume if it is for the transmission, then I should probably go back to checking the purge valve. Thanks for helping me confirm!

Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like the vent line for the transmission.
And yes, it just hangs out up there ;)

Not that it affects me in any way but out of curiosity, what is the point of running a hose into the engine bay if its not connected to anything?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not that it affects me in any way but out of curiosity, what is the point of running a hose into the engine bay if its not connected to anything?
It's a vent hose,so about all you could do is maybe stick a small filter on it,but it still has to be open to allow the pressure build up inside the transmission to go somewhere when it gets up to operating temp,and it also has to allow air back into the transmission when it cools back off,other wise you'd blow the seals out of the transmission.They could of ran it into the top of the air filter box i guess,but that'd probably add another $0.50 to the manufacturing costs,and might lead to fluid being sucked up the tube and onto the filter under high vaccum situations,highly doubtful,but still a possibility

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
It's a vent hose,so about all you could do is maybe stick a small filter on it,but it still has to be open to allow the pressure build up inside the transmission to go somewhere when it gets up to operating temp,and it also has to allow air back into the transmission when it cools back off,other wise you'd blow the seals out of the transmission.They could of ran it into the top of the air filter box i guess,but that'd probably add another $0.50 to the manufacturing costs,and might lead to fluid being sucked up the tube and onto the filter under high vaccum situations,highly doubtful,but still a possibility
So why do they bother putting an elbow on the end of it??

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So why do they bother putting an elbow on the end of it??
Appears to be 3.6 specific,as the 5.7's 8HP70's vent hose doesn't have an elbow on the end.I don't know how you figure any of us can legitimately answer that question,as i don't think any of us work in the transmission plant that builds the light duty 8 speed you have behind your 3.6,i'd hunt up the phone number to one of the engineers that was responsible for the build of your transmission to get the correct answer.If i was to guess,it probably has something to do with keeping dirt /dust / water etc from entering the hose

OP
OP
P

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Appears to be 3.6 specific,as the 5.7's 8HP70's vent hose doesn't have an elbow on the end.I don't know how you figure any of us can legitimately answer that question,as i don't think any of us work in the transmission plant that builds the light duty 8 speed you have behind your 3.6,i'd hunt up the phone number to one of the engineers that was responsible for the build of your transmission to get the correct answer.If i was to guess,it probably has something to do with keeping dirt /dust / water etc from entering the hose
Sorry... there was supposed to be an LOL at the end of that sentence... I wasn't being serious, my bad. But your answer is 100%.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a P0456 code (evap) and went to check the purge valve when I found the hose in the picture disconnected. I can't find where to reconnect it. Please help. I have a 2014 Ram 1500 3.6L. Thanks!

View attachment 535177

After some more digging, I found that it might be a vent for the transmission. Is this accurate? If so, is it supposed to be connected to something or just hanging there like that? I assume if it is for the transmission, then I should probably go back to checking the purge valve. Thanks for helping me confirm!

Do you have 4WD? If so, it may be a front differential vent?

You could follow the line to its origin to determine its use?

OP
OP
P

Pat D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
Do you have 4WD? If so, it may be a front differential vent?

You could follow the line to its origin to determine its use?
Yes, I have 4WD. Too cold here to follow that line right now though. I assume the even if it is a differential vent, it stays open to the air.