P2609 CEL Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
I had the check engine light (CEL) come on a couple of weeks after purchase of my 2019 RAM 2500 CTD. The code is P2609 I took it to the dealer I bought it from (CarMax) and they said that I should take it to a RAM dealer to diagnose/repair as the truck is still under the 5-year Powertrain Warranty. The build date for the truck is 4/2019. So I got an appointment at the local dealer and took it in last Thursday (9/5). When I brought the truck in, I asked if this is covered under warranty. They said "we will not know until we perform our diagnostics." So I had to authorize them for a $180 diagnostic charge for the first hour. Then they called me on Friday (yesterday) and said they need another authorization for a $180 diagnostic hour. They still will not tell me whether this is covered under warranty. To me a CEL is, by definition, powertrain (as the E stands for Engine!). Not sure why they are so reluctant to call it a powertrain issue. What are your thoughts, is this going to be covered under warranty? I promise not to hold anyone responsible if you turn out to be wrong.;) Thank you for your time.

From the internet... P2609 Code: Intake Air Heater System Performance
Causes:
- Faulty intake air heater
- Faulty intake air heater wiring
- PCM failure

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Good news for me. Just got a call from the dealer, this repair is going to be covered by the "Emissions" warranty, not the drivetrain warranty. Never heard of the Emissions warranty, but that's fine with me. Whew, that was going to be almost a $3,000 bill!

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Okay, got the truck back. They charged me nothing for the repair. According to the paperwork, they replaced the grid heater and relay. The notes say that the grid heater bolt was loose. That's interesting because I "wiggled" it and it seemed solid to me. Oh well, it's all fixed now. At least the nut didn't burn off and fall into the engine!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat