Paint protection ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDA-PW2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
View media item 26155
Anyone have any ideas on how to protect the paint from trail brush?

Would that clear wrap xpel? stuff work or would it just cut and rip off?

We do lots of fire road back country trials in so cal. Most are “Jeep” width. The power wagon is about 6” too wide each side so I’m pushing through the brush at times.

Short of just letting it scratch or linex the sides, what else can I do? It’s a new 2018 so I’m still in the new scratches are painful stage.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Xpel can take quite the damage.. well I prefer 3m scotch guard film. Hell I hit a car and ripped my bumper off my Charger. Got back home and pulled off the film and very little paint damage by little I mean literally only a scratch in the center made it to the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After looking and drying my tears, I have to agree I'd try a PPF and see how it works---It has to be better than nothing.
Jay

Last edited:

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at the severity of the Damage, PPF won't protect much in the long run and as pricey as it is, won't be worth it. While it will protect initially, it will eventually rub off and rub through, it's not meant for this type of damage. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try it once and see how it turns out, but keep in mind all those scratches in the paint will show through since I doubt most of them can be removed prior to applying the PPF, and the PPF will quickly look the same before just being ripped through.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I was going to use it like that I would just buy an old beater truck and keep the new one nice and shiny for a few years. But it is your truck, so enjoy it any way you like.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you tried to polish those out yet? My truck looks like that after off roading a bit but I have always been able to get rid of the pinstriping. I think protection film will be your best bet like Purplert suggested.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMG_6950.jpg
IMG_6952.jpg
IMG_6962.jpg
IMG_7041.jpg

That’s the damage left. I would also mention cars was also ceramic coated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a little different than the OP's situation. Imagine those scuffs building up and eventually shredding the PPF, it would look terrible. Point is you'd have to constantly replace the PPF and while it's getting shredded I'd bet it would still strike through and damage the paint anyway, so really pointless and extremely costly.

OP
OP
JDA-PW2018

JDA-PW2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Have you tried to polish those out yet? My truck looks like that after off roading a bit but I have always been able to get rid of the pinstriping. I think protection film will be your best bet like Purplert suggested.

That pic was from the trail. 90% of that is just dirt. I think a few made it into the clear coat. I’ll repost next week when I clean it.

Kinetic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That pic was from the trail. 90% of that is just dirt. I think a few made it into the clear coat. I’ll repost next week when I clean it.
Depending on how much damage is fixable, keep in mind you have a finite amount of clear to play with.

cuminslvr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I hope its not as bad as it looks, looks like lots of scratches. I dont really know how to protect paint against the brush. Its hard enough to protect the paint in parking lots. lol

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Any kind of protector will fail over time. I would look at something more aggressive like a color matched lineX