parts engine fitment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tubtub159

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a '19 1500 classic 5.7 Hemi, it's been in the dealership for a few weeks with a no-start problem they found a broken timing chain and replaced it and it's still not firing up so I guess the pistons kissed the valves when the chain blew. so far they've done a compression test, I've got several cylinders with what they've said is "inadequate compression", found a few decent-looking parts engines near me and I'm thinking to save myself 6k in labour and parts i'll just replace the heads/valves myself.

TL;DR
- motors messed need to know if parts off a 2012 will fit a 2019 (specifically heads and valves but I plan on keeping the motor for parts afterward)
- need to know roughly how much is involved in replacing heads or valves (id rather do the valves themselves and save the rest for parts in case this happens again, and yes I will be getting an entire seal and gasket kit)
- also what is considered adequate cylinder compression? is there a range I can base off?

p.s I'm familiar with cars, I'm a decent mechanic been working on cars my whole life so I'm in for a challenge just wanna be prepared and don't wanna get in over my head.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I've got a '19 1500 classic 5.7 Hemi, it's been in the dealership for a few weeks with a no-start problem they found a broken timing chain and replaced it and it's still not firing up so I guess the pistons kissed the valves when the chain blew. so far they've done a compression test, I've got several cylinders with what they've said is "inadequate compression", found a few decent-looking parts engines near me and I'm thinking to save myself 6k in labour and parts i'll just replace the heads/valves myself.

TL;DR
- motors messed need to know if parts off a 2012 will fit a 2019 (specifically heads and valves but I plan on keeping the motor for parts afterward)
- need to know roughly how much is involved in replacing heads or valves (id rather do the valves themselves and save the rest for parts in case this happens again, and yes I will be getting an entire seal and gasket kit)
- also what is considered adequate cylinder compression? is there a range I can base off?

p.s I'm familiar with cars, I'm a decent mechanic been working on cars my whole life so I'm in for a challenge just wanna be prepared and don't wanna get in over my head.
Heads will interchange,but if you're that far into it,i'd also pull the lifters and look them and the cam over very close,if anything looks suspect,i'd throw a new cam and lifters into it to,as i'm guessing you've got quite a few miles on it,if the timing chain went south on you.

OP
OP
tubtub159

tubtub159

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heads will interchange,but if you're that far into it,i'd also pull the lifters and look them and the cam over very close,if anything looks suspect,i'd throw a new cam and lifters into it to,as i'm guessing you've got quite a few miles on it,if the timing chain went south on you.
km are pretty low, only 120km what's involved in the process do I need any special tools or anything to do the valves and pull lifters? a buddy of mine mentioned the possibility of timing issues, I would assume the dealer would've done all that after they did the timing chain and tried starting it? I don't expect too much else to be wrong it seemed like a super 1-off thing for the chain to blow the trucks been fairly reliable besides this.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
km are pretty low, only 120km what's involved in the process do I need any special tools or anything to do the valves and pull lifters? a buddy of mine mentioned the possibility of timing issues, I would assume the dealer would've done all that after they did the timing chain and tried starting it? I don't expect too much else to be wrong it seemed like a super 1-off thing for the chain to blow the trucks been fairly reliable besides this.
Once the heads are off the lifters are easy to get to and remove ,look the rollers over very close for any signs of wear,and look at as many of the cam lobes as you can.If it bent valves when they tried to start it,the camshaft was probably out of sync,and might be why it broke the chain

OP
OP
tubtub159

tubtub159

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once the heads are off the lifters are easy to get to and remove ,look the rollers over very close for any signs of wear,and look at as many of the cam lobes as you can.If it bent valves when they tried to start it,the camshaft was probably out of sync,and might be why it broke the chain
okay good to know thank you, I've watched a few videos on what to look for as far as damaged pistons etc. looks like I'll need a special compression tool to push the springs down and remove the valves themselves, I'm wondering if the valves were bent from the original breaking of the chain, I know these 5.7's are zero tolerance and I 100% tried a lot of troubleshooting of my own before sending it to the dealership for a diagnostic, probably a high chance I've got some pretty rough valves and/or pistons i'll make sure to check the cam closely I think my best course of action is just get into it and see how things look, I was looking at RockAuto for any seals/gaskets/or parts, is that recommended for engine components? I'm hoping my donor motor has most of what I need as far as parts go but I obviously am gonna need new gaskets and if the valves are screwed i'll just swap the heads right out and buy new valves off RA