Parts to inventory for coming shortages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I refuse to be forced into an electric vehicle and electric lawnmower and electric stove to appease the weird weather cultists gods. So which parts on a 4th gen hemi 4x4 should I plan on getting now knowing that they most likely won't be offered or available much longer??

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hard to say without a crystal ball. Too many possible parts to list. Maybe see about picking up a totaled parts truck? It's the same for most vehicles as they age. Car makers are required to keep spares on hand for a certain number of years, then all bets are off. Fortunately for 4th gen owners they made the 1500 Classic thru 2023. You're good for how ever many years that requirement is at least.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A lot of parts will be available through ebay etc and the aftermarket. Ram 4th gens are probably the longest-lived truck model in history! There will be a healthy aftermarket for years to come. Engine parts you'll be able to get. What you can't get, you can source from ebay or a local salvage yard. You don't have to deal with rust in your area. Exterior cosmetic items are often quick to be discontinued and harder to find (good) aftermarket. Trim, etc. And they take a beating in your area. Items associated with the driver's door (trim/gaskets/hinges, etc) that get used each time your truck is used.

- Door/window outer belt weatherstrips. They usually get discontinued early and aftermarkets are "ok" but usually inferior to OEM. I bought a pr for my Ram. That said, if yer not too picky, aftermarkets will work just fine. Worn ones can lead to door bottom rot (not in your area though).

- Cab mounts. They eventually get old, crack some, and can sag. Aftermarkets are usually hard and not OEM-like. Get a Pr because usually the rear cab ones fail first.

- Driver's seat bottom, cover. They're probably already discontinued for your truck. If not, would be a good idea to get one. They wear first. If yours is black leather, that gives you options. You could always have an upholsterer replace the worn pieces, and forget stocking one. Aftermarket ones are available, but IDK how good they are.

- Upper Control arms

- Lower Control Arm bushings (Oem are usually better than aftermarket)

- Sunroof gaskets (for those trucks which have them). These need to be OEM. Now is the time to get one if you need it.

- Drivers door hinge assemblies. You could drill out and install new pins/bushings. But last I looked Mopars weren't too bad priced.

- Cam & set of lifters??

- Exterior emblems (although they probably don't go bad in your area)

Where do you stop??

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Aftermarket is always worth a look, but usually OEM or NOS is the better product. But less expensive.

More OEM parts to add to the "maybe" stock list:
- Mopar front hub/bearing assemblies
- Rear trans/transfer case output bushing & seal
- Seals - Pinion/Front driveshaft
- Front driveshaft CV (otherwise you'll be stuck with Dorman or import quality). Esp if you run larger tires or off-road.
- Radiator
- Heater core
- TIPM if you could find a good lightly used one.
- Mopar driver's lower seat cushion. IDK how long these will be available. But the Mopar one is rather high-tech ...two-stage foam injection (slightly harder foam on the outer perimeter), softer in the center.
- Gear selector assembly (column-shift trucks). These are known to break. Not that expensive.
- Driver's side arm rest. If avail separately. Anything on the driver's side will wear faster.
- VVT assembly. I just know on my Hummer, I'm not sure if there is an aftermarket solution.

Any of the above OEM products you'd be able to re-sell on ebay if ya never used. And likely come out ahead. All of those could be purchased aftermarket, but I doublt the quality would be OEM-grade. Seals usually aren't. I think i got one of the last Hummer H3 front OEM driveshafts available. It was even discounted. Now ya have to buy a custom-made one and yer lucky to find an AAM CV.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I replaced my truck's bottom seat cushion this summer with OEM (from ebay). It was badly torn & the foam was all chewed up. Looks like new now. I also bought outer window sweeps ...to stock up on in the future. If your truck resides indoor's most of the time, you probably don't need those.

Door latches used to be something you could only get OEM ...or off to a junk yard, but some aftermarket OBS GM door latches I recently bought are a 100% kissing cousin to an OEM GM latch I bought years ago ...and a lot cheaper. Must be the OEM making them. They looked duplicate. Soooo, maybe that'll hold true for Rams once Mopar stops selling door latches. The aftermarket has gotten a lot better ..even though a lot of classic car guys gripe about the stuff all the time (they just don't remember the 80's when a pittance of aftermarket products were barely available).

Try restoring a 60's non-mustang Ford back in the 80's or early 90's when very little was available aftermarket.

Last edited:

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm. This is an interesting topic. If you ever tried to restore an older vehicle you know this issue well. One good thing is the cab is still being made for HD trucks. Assuming it carried over window motors and things like that.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I refuse to be forced into an electric vehicle and electric lawnmower and electric stove to appease the weird weather cultists gods. So which parts on a 4th gen hemi 4x4 should I plan on getting now knowing that they most likely won't be offered or available much longer??

How are you being forced into an electric vehicle?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the 11y of owning my truck the only OEM part I purchased is the Solid Lifters and Water Pump.

As for the rest, Aftermarket is 100x better

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of parts will be available through ebay etc and the aftermarket. Ram 4th gens are probably the longest-lived truck model in history! There will be a healthy aftermarket for years to come. Engine parts you'll be able to get. What you can't get, you can source from ebay or a local salvage yard. You don't have to deal with rust in your area. Exterior cosmetic items are often quick to be discontinued and harder to find (good) aftermarket. Trim, etc. And they take a beating in your area. Items associated with the driver's door (trim/gaskets/hinges, etc) that get used each time your truck is used.

- Door/window outer belt weatherstrips. They usually get discontinued early and aftermarkets are "ok" but usually inferior to OEM. I bought a pr for my Ram. That said, if yer not too picky, aftermarkets will work just fine. Worn ones can lead to door bottom rot (not in your area though).

- Cab mounts. They eventually get old, crack some, and can sag. Aftermarkets are usually hard and not OEM-like. Get a Pr because usually the rear cab ones fail first.

- Driver's seat bottom, cover. They're probably already discontinued for your truck. If not, would be a good idea to get one. They wear first. If yours is black leather, that gives you options. You could always have an upholsterer replace the worn pieces, and forget stocking one. Aftermarket ones are available, but IDK how good they are.

- Upper Control arms

- Lower Control Arm bushings (Oem are usually better than aftermarket)

- Sunroof gaskets (for those trucks which have them). These need to be OEM. Now is the time to get one if you need it.

- Drivers door hinge assemblies. You could drill out and install new pins/bushings. But last I looked Mopars weren't too bad priced.

- Cam & set of lifters??

- Exterior emblems (although they probably don't go bad in your area)

Where do you stop??

Those door/window belts are expensive! They're like $300 EACH

The sunroof gasket is a good item to add.

I don't get the door hinge assembly?? What fails on that?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those door/window belts are expensive! They're like $300 EACH

We might be talking about different parts. What part were you looking at? The belt weatherstrip I was talking about HERE are $74 ea. A guy can probably buy a whole set aftermarket, for that, but if a guy wants OEM.
26e75ed5053b06b37e97caae2f28ea9a.webp

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Obviously by the long list of "potential" items, it's just not practical to buy and stock a whole lot of spare OEM parts. In reality, I probably wouldn't stock up on much. On my older vehicles I always manage to find what I need, used/aftermarket/salvage yard.

The only items I bought for my truck are 2 belt weatherstrips (its a reg cab), just because I'm picky about them. But I'm sure if I didn't have them, I would manage just fine with aftermarket weather strips. Oh ...and I also bought a set of chrome aftermarket outside door handles HERE. I've heard good and bad. One of these days I'll give them a try.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
here is an additional suggestion: Make sure you and everyone you know gets to the polls TO VOTE!!!!! Do your research and make your choice. If you do not like what is happening, it is another way to "fix" it. I am not telling you who/whom to vote for BUT TO VOTE!!!!!!!

OP
OP
B

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We might be talking about different parts. What part were you looking at? The belt weatherstrip I was talking about HERE are $74 ea. A guy can probably buy a whole set aftermarket, for that, but if a guy wants OEM.
26e75ed5053b06b37e97caae2f28ea9a.webp
Yes, these are correct. They're nearly $300 to replace on a crew cab. My concern is the new ones will warp the same as the originals??

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's a thought: I have two DD's and both are hard to get OEM parts for. Older Jeep Grand Cherokee and Hummer H3 ..of which there is almost no aftermarket support for. Basically, I haven't needed to get too many parts from the factory except a couple (sunroof gasket being one of them). When something is needed, there ALWAYS seems to be a way too get parts...internet, ebay or used. Rarely have to go the 'used' path.

In 8 more years, let's say, most 4th gen owners will have moved on and these trucks will be "old trucks" ...much cheaper. They'll be *really* rusty old trucks in the North! Every 15+ year old truck which experiences a cam failure most owners will probably junk it or sell for parts. And who knows? Events could push gasoline past $5/gal ($7 CA) and the value of pickups in general drops significantly. There'll be some low mile trucks around to buy as a replacement if you ever want to get a lower mile one.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, these are correct. They're nearly $300 to replace on a crew cab. My concern is the new ones will warp the same as the originals??

Ok, I see. You're talking a *set* (of 4). Yeah, that's the price of keeping an old truck good, unfortunately. IDK if they'd warp.. you're in Houston ..hot sun. If your OEM ones warped, I'd probably assume the same would occur on another set. But would aftermarket one be better or much worse??

It might not hurt to read up Amazon reviews for aftermarket 4th gen weatherstrips ...or 3rd (or even 2nd) gen weatherstrips. I read some things about that ...but worth doing your own research. Try to tease out northern state reviews vs southern. Hot sun isn't kind to rubber/plastics. Aftermarket ones might be cheaper and a guy could replace them more frequently if they did warp.

Last edited: