Parts to inventory for coming shortages

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't get the door hinge assembly?? What fails on that?

The hinge bushings/pins can & will eventually wear out given enough time. But don't put oil on them... that'll actually reduce their life, not extend them. I know, I did that on a Jeep once. Bad idea. And hard to say what aftermarket assemblies will look like. If the aftermarket ones are as durable tht would be great.

Chrysler uses these unique pressed-graphite-impregnated-brass-lined bushings.They look chintsy, but they're actually self-lubricating and durable. But with a 100# door, they can eventually wear out. Esp the lower hinge with the spring & roller. An improper hanging door wears out the latch and striker too. Aftermarket hinge pins and bushings I've bought for other vehicles NEVER *quite* fit as tight as OEM, and most pins/bushings are going to be steel bushings, or brass.

Maybe aftermarket hinges will ultimately be duplicates of the OEM hinges WITH the graphite bushings, IDK. Time will tell. That would be great (fingers crossed). But it's something to 'consider'.

My truck has almost 200k and the hinges are still tight. So, only 4th-gen 'Lifers' or those afraid of the boogyman, or expecting to do a restoration in the future on a nice little Express, should consider it.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The thing with aftermarket automotive rubber products.
The rubber breaks down, just like a Tire in a dark warehouse, hanging on a rack.

after 10 years , no honest shop will mount the tire on a rim, that they know will be used on a vehicle
A law was just passed, to bad that it is coming too late.

The law states something about letting vehicle owners work on their own vehicles

The OTHER SIDE

Last edited:

Davis MacD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Smog tests will expand from the SF Bay Area to all of California, then to America. Co2 & unburnt fuel regulations will get tighter and tighter until your hemi is declared a threat to heath, then it will be declared akin to a confederate flag and the days of dragging Leroy down the road. European Imperialist slogans will be painted on your truck and you will be treated as if you're wearing a panda bear fur coat by police....

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Geno's Garage is one place where you can purchase quality Seat Foam
You have a choice of Mopar OEM or quality after market

lazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
You can't count on anything in the future, the government could put a stop to any aftermarket company. Just recently they have a plan for you if you buy stocks, they will make you invest a certain percentage of your stock portfolio in green businesses. They will force you to live your life as they see fit, I would be scared if I was 20 years old.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seat Belt Buckle??

For my older (90's) Chevy I discovered a while back finding a 'good' driver's side (matching blue) seat belt ...the buckle end which mounts to the floor (which includes the center passenger), was nearly impossible to find. There's a plastic piece inside which becomes brittle. When you push the tab in, ...it eventually breaks given enough years/time. Drivers and passengers side are different on my GM, and there were a lot of different colors.

But I see on the Rams, they *appear* to be the same unit L to R. And Ram doesn't have as many interior color combinations as the older trucks did. Maybe they're all black (??). But if you were into Ram ownership for 'life' and didn't want to go digging through the weeds at salvage yards in the future, it might be something to add to the growing list. The GM buckles like mine I DID see at the salvage yard, that matched ..were already taken, or busted. I found a mis-matched color which will work for now, until someone (hopefully) starts reproducing them.

But it was a relatively inexpensive part from GM ...back when they were available. I would have bought one had I "known"...

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Lot's of good ideas here for sure. I think availability of parts is going to be driven by popularity of the vehicle as well. Had a previous 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 with 5.7L Hemi in it that several parts where difficult to find when I owned it a few years ago. Like seat cushions, seat coverings, and some stuff under the hood (non engine) But my 2006 F250 Diesel I owned at the same time, I found all kinds of those parts from 3rd party sellers, some OEM still, etc. With the 4th and 5th Gen Ram truck series being so popular I think parts will be available for some time overall. I'm sure there will be exceptions for some very specific stuff, but overall I'm not too worried tbh. Especially since after market seems to be so strong today. If something really starts to be scarce, maybe some talent on this site or similar will solve that shortage and have a nice business to run! There's certainly a lot of creative minds here.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahhh, they're back! I kept a couple catalogs of theirs in my bookcase ...just as momento's for old time sake. That was the ole standby for a lot of people back in the day. How many guys here would page through their latest catalogs for new stuff? And they had a bazillion items. I still have a large wire terminal/crimper assortment set from them. Bought my GM OBS truck's exahust kit from them. Good quality and price. Lot of things. I bet a bunch of guys here still have some JC Whitney-purchased items in their shop.

Technically they were positioned better than anyone to be internet auto parts leaders.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought lots of stuff from JC Whitney. But yeah, I used to spend hours paging through their catalogs back in the day. Glad to see they're still kicking.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I bought lots of stuff from JC Whitney. But yeah, I used to spend hours paging through their catalogs back in the day. Glad to see they're still kicking.
Yep, me too. It's how you shopped for parts before the internet was born.