Pcv sludge?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
So I was changing my oil yesterday and as I went to put the oil back in my truck I noticed my pcv filter had some sludge on it (I have a BFI and the pcv and iat sensor have their own filters) I'm guessing its time for a new filter lol but I'm curious as to what could have caused this build up? I plan on changing the pcv valve now too. Anyone got any ideas?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'm trying to figure how you have a filter on the PCV, on the 3rd gen manifold it's located at the back of the manifold and is completely internal. Are you talking about the fresh air make up line? If so, then your PCV isn't working properly and the exhaust gases are evacuating through the FAMU and getting trapped in the filter, which is now acting like a catch can and since it's exposed to dust and such it's mixing the two together to give you sludge.

Is your IAT not in your intake tube? I'm also curious how that has a filter on it. This is purely for my own knowledge.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
I'm trying to figure how you have a filter on the PCV, on the 3rd gen manifold it's located at the back of the manifold and is completely internal. Are you talking about the fresh air make up line? If so, then your PCV isn't working properly and the exhaust gases are evacuating through the FAMU and getting trapped in the filter, which is now acting like a catch can and since it's exposed to dust and such it's mixing the two together to give you sludge.

Is your IAT not in your intake tube? I'm also curious how that has a filter on it. This is purely for my own knowledge.

Let me see if I have any pics to show where the 2 are located.

And you would be correct that the IAT is not in the intake tube.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
uploadfromtaptalk1406920869685.jpg Here's my IAT sensor

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
uploadfromtaptalk1406920962685.jpg Here's the PCV.

Also I know the PCV valve is back on the manifold near the throttle body. So maybe this isn't called the PCV filter but that's what I was told by the member I bought the BFI from.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Interesting relocation of the IAT sensor, first time I've seen it that far before.

View attachment 33794 Here's the PCV.

Also I know the PCV valve is back on the manifold near the throttle body. So maybe this isn't called the PCV filter but that's what I was told by the member I bought the BFI from.

That's what I thought you meant; that is called the fresh air make up line and it helps keep the crankcase at or just below atmospheric pressure so what I said in my first post is correct about why you have sludge building up on it, time to clean or replace your PCV valve.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Interesting relocation of the IAT sensor, first time I've seen it that far before.

That's what I thought you meant; that is called the fresh air make up line and it helps keep the crankcase at or just below atmospheric pressure so what I said in my first post is correct about why you have sludge building up on it, time to clean or replace your PCV valve.

Yea I moved the IAT to where the previous owner showed me he had it. He provided me with the extra wiring and everything.

And I guess I'll go order a new PCV valve and put that in when it arrives.

Thanks dude!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm curious about your IAT location. As I understand the PCM workings, the Inlet Air Temperature (IAT) sensor reads inlet air temperature and this temperature varies under different conditions. In some cases by a whole lot, such as waiting in traffic. The PCM uses this input and others to compute the injector pulse width ultimately adjusting the AFR to a given value for current running conditions. I have and many others have installed "power wires" to offset this temperature signal by 10-20 degrees, but it is still reading the varying Inlet Air Temperature reflecting current conditions but is just offset. Completely removing the IAT from the inlet tube isolates this sensor and eliminates it's purpose. How does that help engine performance? Like I said curious about the logic behind this mod. Thanks,

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
That's just how I recieved the BFI and the parts and how the previous owner had set it up. Do you have a better place as to where I should put it? Or (and I know this is the option you're going to choose) should I drill into the intake and install the IAT there.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That's just how I recieved the BFI and the parts and how the previous owner had set it up. Do you have a better place as to where I should put it? Or (and I know this is the option you're going to choose) should I drill into the intake and install the IAT there.

IMO, for it to do what it is designed to do it should be as you guessed it, mounted in the intake tube. The SRT IAT has an extended stock that puts the bulb really into the air stream. I had the P/N but have lost it, maybe someone has it and will post up. Good luck..

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I'm glad somebody else asked the question. It didn't seem right to me for it to be sitting outside of the intake tube as it defeated the puropse of the IAT. I would recommend putting it into th eintake tube and as close to the filter if you want to measure the coldest air temps possible.

Greg, a local member who is ridiculously knowledgeable and **** about this kind of stuff has tested the regular IAT sensor and the longer 392 IAT sensor and there is zero difference in their readings when installed in an intake, regardless of material used in the intake.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I'm glad somebody else asked the question. It didn't seem right to me for it to be sitting outside of the intake tube as it defeated the puropse of the IAT. I would recommend putting it into th eintake tube and as close to the filter if you want to measure the coldest air temps possible.

Greg, a local member who is ridiculously knowledgeable and **** about this kind of stuff has tested the regular IAT sensor and the longer 392 IAT sensor and there is zero difference in their readings when installed in an intake, regardless of material used in the intake.

That's good to hear, I wonder how he performed this test? Did he mount them where he could read both at the same time? Otherwise how would he know they read the same? My test wasn't very scientific, I simple read the IAT temperature using a AeroForce Interceptor gage. unplugged it and stuck the SRT sensor in and read it using the same gage. They were a couple degree's different with the SRT being slightly lower. My gut feeling was that the shorter sensor picked up heat from the tube and the SRT was more insulated from tube heat and read the truer temperature of the air. But cannot say positively. Did check it a second time and got the same results. I have my CAI heavily insulated which would be a shame IMO to bury a BFI in the same manner. But I think the important point is to have a relatively accurate reading of intake air for sensor input. If you think it is beneficial to off set that value using a Power Wire then that's up to the individual to determine.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
If I remember his procedure properly he mounted an intermediate tube between the filter and TB and installed 2 sets of both sensors on opposite sides but inline with each other or offset by 1", can't remember exactly, with one set near the filter and the other 6" from the turn into the throttle body. He's an electrical-type guy who as a hobby does all sorts of testing for RC aircraft manufacturers so he had them hooked up to one of his portable voltage meters and into a laptop to log test results, he also had a thermocouple wired in the tube for baseline tube temps and temp sensors installed inside and outside the engine bay. He logged for a good 3 days of regular driving to get reliable data because he's like that.

He used aluminum for the tube as it's the worse for heat soaking (he's previously tested 3 different types of plastic, carbon fiber, aluminum, steel, and some exotic concoctions he had from a RC parts supplier) and after he put his data together he concluded that the shorter sensor had zero heat soak issues as many people had originally thought. His standard deviation was +/- .5C between the two sensors at any given time and neither was regularly lower than the other. His basic conclusion was that wall height didn't affect flow temperature, distance did have a change in flow temp that was consistent with his previous testing of the aluminum's heat transfer, but downstream flow temps were the same between the two.

If that wasn't as rigorous a set of testing I've ever seen to prove a point I don't know what is. Then again he also did the first retrofit of a 6.4L SRV manifold onto a pre-eagle engine with full functionality for his 440 powered magnum so he also wanted to know for himself.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder why the previous owner never just drilled into the intake. As for the intake i SO want one!

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
He certainly was more through than my simple test. At $4 for the SRT IAT sensor I think I'll stick with using it. Good job...

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
So it's as easy as drilling the hole in the intake and just putting the sensor through there? I guess I'll have to look into that.

On another note I've ordered a new PCV valve to replace the current one and I'll be changing the filter from the sludged one to a clean one. Now I know there is a way to add a catch can to the 04's but that it required some drilling into the PCV valve or something like that. Does anyone have that info or know where I can find it? I figure it might be something worth looking into doing so I don't have this problem again.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's some pics, hope this helps. I actually forgot I had a power wire LOL. The hole is just cut in the metal and there is a rubber grommet in it.

96F58FC5-9EAF-4AA1-B9D1-4AEB9E542B08_zpsfiupsxts.jpg

8F9F1153-E9FA-43A7-B532-157687785E18_zps3qi3ilzg.jpg

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Well done..