PCV Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@danielmid which oil catch can you go with? Wanting to get one.
I ran a cheapo eBay one for a few years but recently swapped over to the UPR from Nick along with the drain kit. The eBay one worked fine, I just wanted the better baffle and mounting and drain kit. Plus my O'Reilly hoses were starting to show some cracking, so that was a perfect excuse to upgrade.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Ok, it's now two weeks later since repositioning the PVC and all is good. I wouldn't of thought that that how the PVC is installed mattered ... Idk. I'm still going to install an oil catch can just the same.
An oil catch can is a wonderful thing! I've used them for years on my modern HEMI's.
Billet Technology has sales for their products, and their quality is amazing. Plus they have their Z-Bracket in their kits which makes installation and location placement perfect for our trucks.

I empty mine every oil change and there is a couple to few ounces of crap in there. I still clean my throttle body once to twice a year because that's just me, but the catch can really keeps the throttle body and intake plenum so much cleaner.

Also consider removing the plastic hose from the connector in front of the oil fill hole and installing a breather filter. Just make sure you plug off the hole on the other end so you're not sucking dirty air into your engine.

Attachments

• 20221028_094607.jpg
    20221028_094607.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221028_094611.jpg
    20221028_094611.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20221027_125444.jpg
    20221027_125444.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 26

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An oil catch can is a wonderful thing! I've used them for years on my modern HEMI's.
Billet Technology has sales for their products, and their quality is amazing. Plus they have their Z-Bracket in their kits which makes installation and location placement perfect for our trucks.

I empty mine every oil change and there is a couple to few ounces of crap in there. I still clean my throttle body once to twice a year because that's just me, but the catch can really keeps the throttle body and intake plenum so much cleaner.

Also consider removing the plastic hose from the connector in front of the oil fill hole and installing a breather filter. Just make sure you plug off the hole on the other end so you're not sucking dirty air into your engine.
I like your setup with the legmaker intake and all, but I don't see or don't understand the breather filter advantage over letting the engine suck air through that existing tube from the filtered air intake box.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I like your setup with the legmaker intake and all, but I don't see or don't understand the breather filter advantage over letting the engine suck air through that existing tube from the filtered air intake box.
Thank you. That 4" pipe with elbow and IAT relocation have made an improvement. I used to be a big CAI person, but have since learned that CAI's only lead to greater potential of less filtered air into the engine, and really only make cool sounds at WOT. The stock system unto itself is in essence a cold air intake system.

I did the 6.4 lower air box and air intake horn upgrade and use the 6.4 OEM air filter. It made a bit of difference for sure. Plus I removed the charcoal pad on the underside of the airbox lid too.

As for why I removed that plastic hose and vent to atmosphere. I did that so I don't suck in the recycled vapors back into my intake system which further benefits the "clean" process of having a catch can in use, too.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you. That 4" pipe with elbow and IAT relocation have made an improvement. I used to be a big CAI person, but have since learned that CAI's only lead to greater potential of less filtered air into the engine, and really only make cool sounds at WOT. The stock system unto itself is in essence a cold air intake system.

I did the 6.4 lower air box and air intake horn upgrade and use the 6.4 OEM air filter. It made a bit of difference for sure. Plus I removed the charcoal pad on the underside of the airbox lid too.

As for why I removed that plastic hose and vent to atmosphere. I did that so I don't suck in the recycled vapors back into my intake system which further benefits the "clean" process of having a catch can in use, too.
I did the intake box/elbow as well, my 15 didn't have the carbon filter portion or that would have come out also.

I am sure at some point there may be vapors in that make up air hose, but as far as I could tell the design is flow the other way, fresh air into the crankcase while the PCV pushes air out, so I'm unsure how much vapor would be in there. Filter looks sweet there though! Also, your engine is way cleaner than mine could hope to be.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I did the intake box/elbow as well, my 15 didn't have the carbon filter portion or that would have come out also.

I am sure at some point there may be vapors in that make up air hose, but as far as I could tell the design is flow the other way, fresh air into the crankcase while the PCV pushes air out, so I'm unsure how much vapor would be in there. Filter looks sweet there though! Also, your engine is way cleaner than mine could hope to be.
For me it's about being preventative, and I don't disagree that it's kind of overkill.

I shampoo my engine at least once a year in the late spring, myself.

I use Simple Green concentrated, douse everything under the hood on a cold or luke warm engine, wait 10 minutes, and pressure wash it out, then immediately spray the alternator with WD-40 everywhere, and the choice connectors too. She's gleaming afterwards.

I take her for a good highway romp, and then let her cool down. Afterwards out comes my can of Krown spray (like WD-40 only more rust inhibitors) and I soak up my alternator again and everything under the hood, including opening the fuse box and soaking everything under it, plus the bundle of connectors underneath it. I then let it set for a good long while and then wipe the entire engine bay down with a couple of microfibers.

I also get my truck Krown sprayed every late sprint to early summer, and it is soaked in every single nook and cranny, including every inch under the hood.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
A PCV valve is a one-way valve designed to let gasses/pressure flow out of the case. Think about that....and make sure it's mounted in the correct direction. Most of them have an arrow printed on them. Also. it is possible for it to be clogged and still "rattle".
For the price of a OEM pcv in Canada,if it still rattles i wash them out with brakeclean,then blow air through them,and call it good,so far i've never had to replace one on a hemi.The way the PCV's are designed on a Hemi,it's hard for them to plug,they aren't like the old school pcv's of yester year

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
For the price of a OEM pcv in Canada,if it still rattles i wash them out with brakeclean,then blow air through them,and call it good,so far i've never had to replace one on a hemi.The way the PCV's are designed on a Hemi,it's hard for them to plug,they aren't like the old school pcv's of yester year
Agreed!
The old tube style ones from back in the day would plug up very easily.
The MOPAR PCV valves are dear in price!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Agreed!
The old tube style ones from back in the day would plug up very easily.
The MOPAR PCV valves are dear in price!
Stick a rubber hose/nozzle on your air chuck that fits the hole in the side of the valve ,plug the other hole with your thumb,and if it doesn't blow air out the bottom hole after cleaning it,it's still good to go.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
They be proud of them things. I think Amazon is getting $57 beans for them...Sure do miss them $8 jobs on the old Chevys.

OP
OP
B

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran a cheapo eBay one for a few years but recently swapped over to the UPR from Nick along with the drain kit. The eBay one worked fine, I just wanted the better baffle and mounting and drain kit. Plus my O'Reilly hoses were starting to show some cracking, so that was a perfect excuse to upgrade.

Is the one I ordered. Has nut on bottom that I can add a drain valve later on if I wanted. Looks similar to yours. Will let you know how it goes. Haven't gotten it yet but should have installed by weekend.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7