Pedal Commander causing MGU failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
After taking delivery of my new 2024 Ram Laramie I installed the pedal commander that I took off my 2022 which worked flawlessly. At the time I didn’t realize u didn’t follow the directions on having the door open for 15 min and the key fobs away. A few hours later the check engine light came on and the volt meter was low. The dealership told me the next week after diagnostics that the etorque MGU failed and had to be replaced because was faulty. It doesn’t seem logical that the pedal commander could cause that, but now I’m concerned about putting it back on (took it back off at the dealership before repair). I really like the pedal commander and it made the vehicle more fun to drive. But now I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard of the PC causing issues for some but haven't heard this one yet although I just saw another thread on a failed MGU with nothing mentioned about a PC. Could very well be coincidence.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The PC shouldn't affect the MGU - it deals only with the circuit to the electronic fuel control and pedal - basically pulling required power from the power line to the pedal, then monitoring the two outputs from the pedal and pushing modified voltage out to the throttle to change how the throttle reacts - giving you more or less power. PCs can cause a code to throw that will put you in limp mode (the ECU detects a disparity between to the two pedal outputs). I suppose if you put too much torque on the newer MGUs, it could cause a problem - but that soon - I'd say it's more likely a defect in the MGU.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The PC shouldn't affect the MGU - it deals only with the circuit to the electronic fuel control and pedal - basically pulling required power from the power line to the pedal, then monitoring the two outputs from the pedal and pushing modified voltage out to the throttle to change how the throttle reacts - giving you more or less power. PCs can cause a code to throw that will put you in limp mode (the ECU detects a disparity between to the two pedal outputs). I suppose if you put too much torque on the newer MGUs, it could cause a problem - but that soon - I'd say it's more likely a defect in the MGU.
""" DITTO """ not saying that it could not effect it, but not heard of that before. Also, OP, good U removed the PC before taking to dealer. No need give them ammo to deny warranty work.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the pedal commander and it made the vehicle more fun to drive. But now I’m just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?
Did your 22 also have eTorque as well as your 24, did you check W PC to see if its compatible with the eTorque system.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My PC has been on and running for close to 2 years with no issue. It’s always on and buried under the dash out of the way and set on City. All they do is operate the throttle fly by wire input.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had my PC on my 2018 2500 for 5 yrs with no issues. Took it off when I traded it...installed it on the new 2023 the day after it came home...(knocking on wood), no issues.

OP
OP
N

New Silver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Thanks everyone for responding. My 22 ram was etorque also, never had a problem. The dealership said the 24 MGU was faulty. It’s just weird that it happened the same day. It logically didn’t make sense that the PC would cause it, it just made me wonder given all the threads I have read about malfunctions. I’m still debating trying it again.