Persuasion Time New Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Outdoorsman:
Better approach angle
200 lbs lighter than Sport edition
6 more gallons for gas
Higher Payload and Towing Capacity
LT tires standard compared to Passenger tires
Trans cooler

Sport:
5.7L standard add on the the MO for 1300
20's standard add on the the MO for 1400

If it was me................... Outdoorsman's hands down. Why do you want to look like every other Tom, **** and Harry? :Big Laugh:

Figured I'd comment on your list. ;) Haha.

Outdoorsman:
Better approach angle, easy add with a leveling kit for $80
200lbs lighter (*150lbs lighter because of the extra options the sport can have)
More towing capacity (This is due to the 150lbs lighter deal, as the difference is 150lbs between the two in towing)
6 more gallons ($75 add on the sport from factory)
LT tires can be added for under $1000
Transcooler can also be added for not much cost.

Sport:
Color matched bumpers and grille
Sport Hood (Expensive to add)
Limited Slip Diff from factory
Heated and Cooled Leather seats
20" chrome clads factory
Remote Start and security group factory
HEMI standard

I'd say go with the sport! The mossy oak stuff can even be added for fairly cheap! My parents do it all the time.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Man am I envious! I love truck shoping!!! Looks like the sport has everything on your list. And with the rebates coming next month the $$$ shouldn't hurt quite as bad :D

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely go with the big cab.

I'm an MO fan... but some of these other posts make a Sport sound like the best bet.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
The sport has what I want but the MO seems better built .. Ugh ..

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sport has what I want but the MO seems better built .. Ugh ..

Is it the plastic front bumper on the sport you don't like? If so i'm sure there would be plenty of people that would trade with you.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Steal bumpers that are coated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Only the front bumper on the sports isn't steel. And like said that could be easily swapped if wanted. But the two bumpers (steel and sport) have different looks about them.

WillisRanches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Another thought on this topic. Are you wanting a truck that is geared towards hunting and outdoor activities or are you wanting a sports truck that is geared towards street driving?

Also after seeing a few more comments about heated and cooled seats. And if you want the 5.7L maybe you should wait till the deals on the 2013 happen. This is a link to what they updated on the 2013 Outdoorsman, heated and cooled leather seats, 5.7L standard and a couple other features you will not find on the Sport model.
Dodge’s Ram division unveils Outdoorsman version for 2013 Ram 1500 - egmCarTech

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
Two problems with this statement, one Dave you always say you would never buy a new truck, and two you said you would leave that cummins stock lol!!
but get a sport or find a 2006 CTD.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Yes I said I would not buy a new truck. But as it stands I want warranty and new is the way to go. Besides that I am tired of buying used with no warranty and I want a smooth ride. Every truck I have owned rode like a hay wagon. I must be getting old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I love the fact that the the outdoorsmans have the steel bumper up front, Eddie are you saying you can't get the 1500 ODM with the LSD? I thought that was an option. and all the outdoorsmans come with remote start like the sports do.. and you were saying that he could add all the stuff later but the ODM comes ready so he won't have to add anything later, just jump in and drive. but you lose the leather heated/cooled seat stuff..

Dave, IMO since you are the outdoorsman type with hunting fishing and what not I would say go for the ODM. 2 tone with painted bumpers, Back seat floor bins (to keep the beer cold) seems more fit for ya.

But the sport for sure is super clean with all the options you get with them plus I know you really want that center shift instead of colum shift.. It's a tough call man..

Both trucks are really nice

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I love the fact that the the outdoorsmans have the steel bumper up front, Eddie are you saying you can't get the 1500 ODM with the LSD? I thought that was an option. and all the outdoorsmans come with remote start like the sports do.. and you were saying that he could add all the stuff later but the ODM comes ready so he won't have to add anything later, just jump in and drive. but you lose the leather heated/cooled seat stuff..

Dave, IMO since you are the outdoorsman type with hunting fishing and what not I would say go for the ODM. 2 tone with painted bumpers, Back seat floor bins (to keep the beer cold) seems more fit for ya.

But the sport for sure is super clean with all the options you get with them plus I know you really want that center shift instead of colum shift.. It's a tough call man..

Both trucks are really nice

Not all sports come with remote start. I looked at plenty while shopping for my truck That Didnt. It's part of the remote start and security package that is an option. As is the LSD. And from the options I could find on the build your own truck options on Rams website, remote start and an LSD were not available while building an outdoorsman. The only stuff he would have to add later would be the level and the tires. As he would have to add 20" chrome wheels to the Outdoorsman anyways which would change the tire since its fit to a 17" Rim. And there wasn't an option for 20s on the build your own either. There's just a lot of stuff that can be added to the sport from factory that the outdoorsman has that can't be added to the outdoorsman. And the sport also has the back floor bins. I have them in mine.

But all that aside. I agree that both trucks are really nice. And either will be a good option, I just believe the sport had a better ability to be spruced up from factory with all the bells and whistles than the outdoorsman.

Last edited:

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
But he wouldn't be able to get actual "all together Color Match" with the metal bumpers because all the outdoorsmans are 2 tone.

But if you were down with the 2 tone Dave you would be good to go on metal bumper lol.. I'm not even sure if you really care about having meta bumpers or not.. Was deff on my list which was a huge reason I went with my outdoorsman

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not all sports come with remote start. I looked at plenty while shopping for my truck That Didnt. It's part of the remote start and security package that is an option. As is the LSD. And from the options I could find on the build your own truck options on Rams website, remote start and an LSD were not available while building an outdoorsman. The only stuff he would have to add later would be the level and the tires. As he would have to add 20" chrome wheels to the Outdoorsman anyways which would change the tire since its fit to a 17" Rim. And there wasn't an option for 20s on the build your own either. There's just a lot of stuff that can be added to the sport from factory that the outdoorsman has that can't be added to the outdoorsman. And the sport also has the back floor bins. I have them in mine.

But all that aside. I agree that both trucks are really nice. And either will be a good option, I just believe the sport had a better ability to be spruced up from factory with all the bells and whistles than the outdoorsman.

When I was talking to my dealer about the ODM he sent me the list of what was standard and options (a breif list)
Remote start is standard on the Outdoorsman. As well as
-Skid plates
-32 gallon tank
-3.92 rear end with posi
-rubber floor mats
-hitch
-fender flares, grey bumpers
-all the other standard SLT features (power windows/locks/mirrors etc)
-17 inch wheels w/bigger tires
-tow hooks
-power drivers seat
-leather steering wheel, radio controls
-body color grill
-fog lamps
-bucket seats

Optional are
-back up camera/dvd/alpine premium sound system
-sunroof
-tow mirrors
-adjustable pedals
-trailer brake connector
-20 inch wheels/tires
-block heater
-ram box
-rear window defrost
-bedliner
-mopar accys such as bed rails and side steps
-Bench seats $900 option (silly cost IMO)

But like you said anything could be added. but from the sound of what he wants, He just wants to jump in it and drive off and not have to worry about adding anything.

I'm sure you will love either truck you get Dave.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
When I was talking to my dealer about the ODM he sent me the list of what was standard and options (a breif list)
Remote start is standard on the Outdoorsman. As well as
-Skid plates
-32 gallon tank
-3.92 rear end with posi
-rubber floor mats
-hitch
-fender flares, grey bumpers
-all the other standard SLT features (power windows/locks/mirrors etc)
-17 inch wheels w/bigger tires
-tow hooks
-power drivers seat
-leather steering wheel, radio controls
-body color grill
-fog lamps
-bucket seats

Optional are
-back up camera/dvd/alpine premium sound system
-sunroof
-tow mirrors
-adjustable pedals
-trailer brake connector
-20 inch wheels/tires
-block heater
-ram box
-rear window defrost
-bedliner
-mopar accys such as bed rails and side steps
-Bench seats $900 option (silly cost IMO)

But like you said anything could be added. but from the sound of what he wants, He just wants to jump in it and drive off and not have to worry about adding anything.

I'm sure you will love either truck you get Dave.

Hmm. Didn't see those online. But hey! I'm sure they're there somewhere. Just gotta find em. Haha. Oh we'll. I agree with loving either truck!

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah there is a video from RAM that walks you through everything that is standard on the ODM and remote start is the first thing they talk about.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sport with Rambox!! I LOVE those hoods, even though I myself am an outdoorsman. However, a bigger fuel tank and tow hooks would be nice.

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Dave if you have a few minutes here is a video of the ODM and options..

Eddie this has some of the options I was telling you about. Yes this guys about as dry as they come but it is some good information

Ram Outdoorsman Walkaround - YouTube