Poor FOBIK design - ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, while the remote start function is not as easy as GM and others when actually trying to start the truck it's somehow much easier to start by mistake while the remote in your pocket. Even worse is how easy it is to set off the panic alarm by mistake. It seems like I do that several times a week lately if I'm working around the house or garage. Does anyone know of any aftermarket units with a slightly better design or have any other ideas that may help with this issue? I really don't want to have to take the FOBIK out of my pocket every time I get home.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I kept starting my Ram while carrying bags of fertilizer & redwood chips,
there was no issue while walking cross the lawn to area where the deck was located.
When i went up the steps, the Ram would start.
Now i put the buttons against my leg, not against whatever i am carrying.

Maybe wearing a lanyard around my neck, would work better.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, while the remote start function is not as easy as GM and others when actually trying to start the truck it's somehow much easier to start by mistake while the remote in your pocket. Even worse is how easy it is to set off the panic alarm by mistake. It seems like I do that several times a week lately if I'm working around the house or garage. Does anyone know of any aftermarket units with a slightly better design or have any other ideas that may help with this issue? I really don't want to have to take the FOBIK out of my pocket every time I get home.
Agreed, I've never activated panic on purpose but plenty of times on accident.

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The ole bluejeans watch pocket is the perfect place for mine. Got a loop on the end to make it easy in/out.

magman777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 2 fobs, I took one apart and took the connections out so it can't accidently go off. The other one I leave in the truck and use it for starting, driving, etc. Works great, I was afraid the door locks wouldn't work after, but they still do their job. My wife is happy, because she was always sleeping when it would go off.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My spare FOB is in the building
In a baggie, with the battery beside it in the baggie.

I have changed my habit of locking the Ram using a FOB,
instead i am using the door lock mechanism on either the drivers or passenger front doors.

With my Ram, to start it, the FOB has to be in the ignition.
I prefer it for security