"ported" TB- WAIT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pld

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just ordered a vararam and a 85mm TB from Moe's about a week ago. Should I have gone a different route? Did I just waste money on mods I won't even notice?

Ah, probably. Of all the vehicles I had in my lifetime (many) I had to add a CAI to them thinking this time I will notice a power increase and I didn't notice **** but sound. Hopefully you do cause it ain't cheap.

hemifever

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done quite a few on the dyno lately. A tb really needs a tune. But if ur stacked up with cai, exhaust, tb, and tuner then ur obviously out for max power and should be running an actual tune. Stock pcm file, and even the preloaded tunes on the tuner just don't cut it. The tunes I write make the power with a tb. Here's a couple of dyno's I did a couple of weeks ago. And in my forum section on the challenger site I've got quite a few folks that have done my tune and reviewed on the throttle body change.

Here's a link to my FB :

5.7 Jeep got 8 hp peak with 12 hp in the curve : https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverT...1005161992830/584860144940661/?type=1&theater

6.4 Challenger got 18 hp : https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverT...1005161992830/583016201791722/?type=1&theater

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Guys, there are so many trucks on this forum and all the others running these mods with positive results, that I don't see how all the sudden each of these mods are being questioned. I cant tell you how many guys have dropped anywhere from .2 to .4 off their 1/4 mile times from this 2 mod combo of the Vararam and TB. Something else to consider is that many of us are used to how the truck has run for the past few months of winter. These past 2 weeks here in TX, temps have been up in the mid 70's which will make the truck run almost .2 slower than it would with temps in the 40's and 50's. That is something that the track guys understand, but I know that it is easy to overlook from the guys that just daily drive their trucks and do not visit the dragstrip.

Saltillo, I searched our mailbox for your name, and I did find your last email in the junk mailbox. You stated that you damaged your PCM by trying to remove that instead of just disconnecting the battery terminal to reset the computer and you now have a completely new PCM that was installed with both of these mods. As finicky as these trucks are with electronics, I would not doubt that the new PCM and new flash could have something to do with why you are not seeing the gains from these upgrades. Give me a call tomorrow, and we will go over everything to see if there is something missed during the install. We would not sell you a part that does not work, so I will work with you to go over all this to ensure that everything is correct.

jakeSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 4WD Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hijack this thread...but Moe's is there any update on the Vararam LT headers? These things were supposed to be out in late November according to their own website-but only thing their site shows is the Corvette headers.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Sorry to hijack this thread...but Moe's is there any update on the Vararam LT headers? These things were supposed to be out in late November according to their own website-but only thing their site shows is the Corvette headers.

Vararam has made 4 revisions to the Y-pipe design in an attempt to make more low end tq for these heavy trucks. They finally got the Y-perfect, but it would not clear the transfer case on the 4wd. Now they are building another set of headers for my 2011 4WD, and I'm supposed to take the truck in next week for them to build a new Y-pipe that will clear both the 2wd and 4wd models. We all hoped these would have been out sooner, but I'm glad they waited to get this right rather than just putting out a product that was just "ok".

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel for the op but Matt seems to be all over this and trying to satisfy a customer! That's a quality we don't see often in day to day life....lol

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
from a humorous point of view - the guy that sells the parts tells you they work and the guy that sells the tunes says they work better with a tuner ;)

when you go from mid 15s to mid 14s though the mods speak for themselves - thanks Matt and Sean!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I feel for the op but Matt seems to be all over this and trying to satisfy a customer! That's a quality we don't see often in day to day life....lol

Totally! It's a lost art. That's probably one of reasons he has a loyal customer base. He sure knows is stuff, too.

The Unabomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 R/T
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've done quite a few on the dyno lately. A tb really needs a tune. But if ur stacked up with cai, exhaust, tb, and tuner then ur obviously out for max power and should be running an actual tune. Stock pcm file, and even the preloaded tunes on the tuner just don't cut it. The tunes I write make the power with a tb. Here's a couple of dyno's I did a couple of weeks ago. And in my forum section on the challenger site I've got quite a few folks that have done my tune and reviewed on the throttle body change.

Here's a link to my FB :

5.7 Jeep got 8 hp peak with 12 hp in the curve : https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverT...1005161992830/584860144940661/?type=1&theater

6.4 Challenger got 18 hp : https://www.facebook.com/HemifeverT...1005161992830/583016201791722/?type=1&theater

In both examples given you say so yourself you need a custom tune to see the benefit.

Most guys are not going to get a custom CMR tune for a TB and CAI. These two items appeal to the masses because they are easy to do themselves.

The true gain in all honesty comes from the custom tune and not so much the throttle body. While it does indeed help most of the gain is coming from really tweaking the tune. That is all in the hands of the tuner.

Will the masses of people putting down cash on a TB and CAI see these "advertised" gains? Highly unlikely. They are better off just keeping the stock TB and intake, and run a canned tune from Diablo.

So to conclude will you see major gains without a custom CMR tune? No, not likely.

Will it help performance a bit? It will, but is it enough to justify the cost? That's the choice the consumer needs to make.

Most guys going the custom tune route will either have every bolt on they can have and tune. Or they'll have done a cam swap, forced induction, etc.

2uqjayo.jpg

35cgdhj.jpg

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Most guys going the custom tune route will either have every bolt on they can have and tune. Or they'll have done a cam swap, forced induction, etc.

The trucks are actually quite a bit different than the cars. The majority of the guys here with a Diablo tuner already have a Hemifever custom tune. With Hemifever and Moe's offering free custom tuning with the Trinity, it only makes sense to take advantage of that from the start. These trucks will benefit from custom tuning even in completely stock form, and it is also why I recommend the tuner as a first mod for everyone. Bolt on parts are almost always an improvement over stock, but having that tuner installed before hand really allows you to get the most out of them. This applies for any bolt on part that affects airflow in or out of the motor.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Hey Matt my wife should be calling this week to order my Birthday DS, make sure she get the pillar pod attachment and the Hemi fever tuning, and it would really help out if you confirm the fact that I can sell it on the forum and recoup a little bit of the money she spent on it last year.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
The trucks are actually quite a bit different than the cars. .

I totally agree. I have both and the difference in the trucks are way different.

The mods done to my SRT8 Challenger in no way compare to what happened to my trucks performance. The same mods on the car do not react the same way on the trucks. Way bigger kick in the pants for the trucks.

If you know anything about the 5.7 car set up vs the truck, then I really don't have to explain the differences. It doesn't matter what the guys on LX think, the trucks just flat out respond to bolt on mods and the canned 91 tune... and quite dramatically I might say.

Think what you want, but the Ram is like night and day after the mods. Just plan all of them working together for the best results. just 1 or 2 alone will leave you wanting.

I can't say "This mod" or "that mod" made the biggest difference as I did 2 at a time... but 4 of the 5 mods are on and it's a blast to drive. Once the pebbles from winter are off the road, and the headers are on, then Sean will get to send the data log file for the custom tune.

Anyone that's ridden with me that has a stock Ram usually starts their comments with "Holy ****!"

Good enough for me I'd say.

OP
OP
Saltillo Express

Saltillo Express

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Saltillo, I searched our mailbox for your name, and I did find your last email in the junk mailbox. You stated that you damaged your PCM by trying to remove that instead of just disconnecting the battery terminal to reset the computer and you now have a completely new PCM that was installed with both of these mods. As finicky as these trucks are with electronics, I would not doubt that the new PCM and new flash could have something to do with why you are not seeing the gains from these upgrades.

Moe's that's not at all what I said in the email man. There was no new PCM ever mentioned ever. When I reset the PCM initially I disconnected the harness at the ECU, which is how we always did it on the Gen II trucks. Yes you can absolutely disconnect the battery, and yes perhaps that may now be the preferred manner to reset the PCM. What ACTUALLY transpired is when I disconnected the passenger side harness it broke and pieces of plastic fell out. That's what happened and that's what I said in the email's that "went to your spam box" - nothing at all about replacing the PCM. Orlando Dodge covered the harness fastener under warranty. So, I can't attribute the questions on the TB and intake to a PCM replacement that didn't happen and was never mentioned in any of my emails.

The reason some ask about the 12-15 hp with no tuning thing is - not everyone cares about 2 tenths of a quarter mile time. Because we don't drag race. We're just street scratchers trying to get moving from dig. You should be able to feel 12-15 with no tuning. With every other Dodge truck I have ever owned, and I've had a few of them - a ported TB made a seat of the pants difference that the average person could feel immediately. I didn't feel it with this one. I can't measure 87 mm anywhere in it. The pitting holes in it look terrible. Having the CNC bit tip in like that to dig down in there is what caused them. And come to think of it, every ported TB I ever got from Dan Arcane was as smooth as silk. No grinder marks in it anywhere. I suppose if there is a dyno sheet that shows this TB make 12-15 on a bone stock truck with no tuning, then hey what are we even talking about?

I'll figure something out on the pitting holes. Gonna take off from here, and you guys aren't hurting for members. Take care and rock on.

TylerB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had an 87mm ported throttle body and sold it. Take that as you will, but my track times without it speak for themselves.

lonewolf2873

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that escalated quickly!

Last I saw, moes was working on helping keep satisfied customer. Personally if I buy a 87mm I'm going to make sure it's polished to high shine before installing. Not a bad idea to look before installing anything.

Now where's my checkbook...lol

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow that escalated quickly!

Last I saw, moes was working on helping keep satisfied customer. Personally if I buy a 87mm I'm going to make sure it's polished to high shine before installing. Not a bad idea to look before installing anything.

Now where's my checkbook...lol

I had to port match, polish and knife edge my PTB in order to feel any difference, but a) it was not from Moe's and b) I live at altitude and who knows about truck to truck differences?