Power Mirror Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROADPOP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hoping someone will know if it’s possible to have the power outside mirrors light all the time, mine only come on when the turn signals flash..2010 Ram R/T

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think I read elsewhere that it's one of the things that can be programmed in, like fog lights with high beams.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hoping someone will know if it’s possible to have the power outside mirrors light all the time, mine only come on when the turn signals flash..2010 Ram R/T

I think I read elsewhere that it's one of the things that can be programmed in, like fog lights with high beams.

Nope, no programing for it, not even with AlphaOBD, but you can do it with a wiring kit that a couple of places sell.

I don't know anything about them, but these guys are running a Halloween special on a kit right now. https://www.jhdlighting.com

And these are the other one I've seen: https://www.facebook.com/RivetConcepts/

-K

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
TBH I don't know. The $55 kit has some sort of module it appears in the y connector, while the $20 kit looks to just be a simple Y crimp. Not sure what it is or why it's needed... resistor, fusible link, etc...

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
I know it needs a resistor to work properly, not understanding why it needs a fuse unless it’s just for added protection.

Is M2 Mods making these kits yet, anyone know?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Is M2 Mods making these kits yet, anyone know?

I don't believe so. I think the harnesses they already make keep them more than busy considering that it's a side job for both of them.

-K

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
yeah i would probably go with the JHD kit for $20 - unless that module in the $55 kit (if that's really what it is) is required for some reason. Maybe it's for LED's/Canbus?

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
So I went ahead and ordered the kit from JHD lighting mentioned earlier in this thread. It’s a nice little kit with everything required. I installed it today.

This is not a difficult mod to do, the hardest part is fishing the wire through the rubber “boot” between the doors and the cab. On the cab side of that, the end of that boot is one big plug with little room to do anything. The drivers side has the parking brake assembly right in the way. The passenger side has more room in that boot, there are fewer wires.

There’s not much room to use a fish tape, so I borrowed a small fish wire from my wife’s sewing kit, thin rigid wire with a hook on the end, it worked very well.

Once you get past that it’s just cutting one wire in the door on each side and crimping the kit in, then hiding your wiring under the dash. My roof clearance lights were installed by the dealer, so I had a convenient power wire to tap into. Here’s a pic of the result, it’s dark and rainy so not a good pic.

IMG_1302.jpg

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I went ahead and ordered the kit from JHD lighting mentioned earlier in this thread. It’s a nice little kit with everything required. I installed it today.

This is not a difficult mod to do, the hardest part is fishing the wire through the rubber “boot” between the doors and the cab. On the cab side of that, the end of that boot is one big plug with little room to do anything. The drivers side has the parking brake assembly right in the way. The passenger side has more room in that boot, there are fewer wires.

There’s not much room to use a fish tape, so I borrowed a small fish wire from my wife’s sewing kit, thin rigid wire with a hook on the end, it worked very well.

Once you get past that it’s just cutting one wire in the door on each side and crimping the kit in, then hiding your wiring under the dash. My roof clearance lights were installed by the dealer, so I had a convenient power wire to tap into. Here’s a pic of the result, it’s dark and rainy so not a good pic.

View attachment 146306

So no issues wiring them directly to the 12V clearance lights? I'm looking at a way to re-wire mine and debating on using the clearance light wire (I have some ready to install - I'm just scared to drill) or run them from the relay box I added that only supplies power when the truck is running. I assume the lights in the mirror are 12V, but you never know with trucks and computers these days...

wallacemf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 4x4 Hemi 6.4
Yep no issues with using the clearance light wire. If you don’t have clearance lights, you can tap into the parking light wire at the headlight switch, same difference.

The mirror lights are LED so the kit has resistors and diodes wired into them. It’s all inside the heat shrink already, so it’s plug and play. The hardest part is pulling the new wire through the boot between the door and the truck.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yep no issues with using the clearance light wire. If you don’t have clearance lights, you can tap into the parking light wire at the headlight switch, same difference.

Just a little tidbit, all the 4th Gen trucks, even the 1500s, have fuse 79 (clearance lights) powered in the TIPM, so even if you don't have the extra wiring, all you need to do to access that circuit is to put a fuse tap in the slot and you've got a 10 amp circuit that goes on with the parking lights and does not trigger bulb out warnings, etc.

-K

Reactions: JB1

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have added a relay block which provides power only when the truck is running. I already have my air dam lights running off of it and I’ll probably have my clearance and mirror lights tied into it too. I also have my turn signals as DRL’s thanks to AlfaOBD.

All amber, all the time...

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
EB4304B6-1243-4A88-A114-12A6E96CD019.jpeg
Woot! Got my JHD kit!!

Unfortanetly I’ll be out of town this weekend, but I’ll be tackling this as soon as I get back next week!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca