Power problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Cook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2
Hey everyone, I need some help with my 85 power ram. I just replaced the alternator, the battery, the belts and the voltage regulator. But every time I drive it at night with the lights on, it ends up losing alot of energy. To the point a flash light is brighter than me headlights. My dash goes almost completely dark and the last thing to happen is it wants to stall when I give it some gas. Only did this when my alternator went out on me a couple weeks ago. Anybody got a clue what all is wrong with it???

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hey everyone, I need some help with my 85 power ram. I just replaced the alternator, the battery, the belts and the voltage regulator. But every time I drive it at night with the lights on, it ends up losing alot of energy. To the point a flash light is brighter than me headlights. My dash goes almost completely dark and the last thing to happen is it wants to stall when I give it some gas. Only did this when my alternator went out on me a couple weeks ago. Anybody got a clue what all is wrong with it???
What is the alternator charging voltage?

What amperage is the alternator putting out at idle and at 2000rpm?

Test or have the battery tested just to make sure we do not have a shorted or dead cell.

If the alternator is not charging at the correct amperage then the battery may start to discharge while driving because the power demand of the engine and lights and the entire electrical system is more than the battery and alternator can maintain.

We need to know not only the voltage that the alternator is putting out but also the amperage.