Power Steering Issues Post-Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's up everyone?

I have an '04 QC with the 5.7 Hemi. About a month ago the head over the #7 cylinder drooped and a valve spring broke, sending the valve into the cylinder. The engine was toast. I ended up ordering a remanufactured engine from Powertrain Products. I finally got the truck back about a week ago. Upon inspecting the work, I noticed they had broken the wire harness connectors for the starter and the ETC, both without repairing the damage. They also failed to reattach the bracket holding up the CAI tube. Shoddy work to say the least.

I also noticed a power steering fluid leak. I opened up the the hood and their was PS fluid everywhere! I couldn't tell if it was leaking out of the cap or from the high pressure line. I took it back for them to figure it out and to repair the other issues/bad work.

My question is: Is it a coincidence that the power steering took a s**t right after having a shop do sub par work on the engine swap? Is it possible the PS issues were caused by the engine breaking?

Sorry for the long post. I recently lost my job and can't afford to pay for something the shop caused. Thanks!!

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is absolutely no way a bad valve caused a power steering leak. That doesn't make any sense. It is likely that it was caused when the power steering pump was transferred to the new engine. But those lines do fail on their own over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AZ11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I was having a hard time believing the guy when he told me it probably happened when the valve blew. I'm no mechanic but I didn't think the two systems had any connection other than the belt that drives the PS pump.

Thanks for the response!

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you need to find a different shop/mechanic, if they tried to pass off the PS leak being caused by a valve train failure.

OP
OP
A

AZ11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I m definitely not using them after this issue is taken care of. Would you guys fight the bill or just pay it? Even though these parts eventually fail, I can't get passed the shear coincidence of it all. Especially given the halfass work they did putting everything back together.

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd fight for a better price for sure. Wait until the work is done though, so they don't hold a grudge against your ride.

OP
OP
A

AZ11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good call. They were already pouty Because I bought the engine from someone else. Thanks man!

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The explanation they provided is bogus and stupid. However they can't be held accountable if the wear status of the hoses made it so that when they swapped the pump over to the new engine it sprung a leak.

I would definitely fight the price, just for the fact they are trying to pass it off on false pretenses. But as I said, when doing such work, you are bound to have collateral damage that the mechanic cannot be held accountable for just because the parts are not new and may be difficult to manipulate/take off, generating additional cost of parts and labor.

In most cases mechanics try their best to not have to swap additional parts (unless they are shady shops).

A good mechanic should voice this up front when starting to work on a vehicle, more over if the work involves major parts removal...

My 2 cents

Hope this makes sense.