Power Steering Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 Ram, 5.7 Hemi

Is this pretty significant chip in my power steering pulley a cause for concern? And can a significant chip like this happen on its own or do you think it would need some force behind it?

Backstory: Had some engine work done recently where it required the mechanics to pull the engine. Honestly not sure if it was there before I brought it in or if it was one of the mechanics that damaged it. Since, I’ve been hearing squeaky sounds when I start the truck, that point me in the area of the broken pulley. Could this cause a squeaking sound? And is this a safety concern where I need to fix it ASAP?

Attachments

• IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    155.3 KB · Views: 13

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When they were pulling the engine, assuming that they banged that pulley on something to cause the damage its possible that the pump bearing is damaged and causing the squeak. Possible but far from guaranteed. You likely just need to crawl under and spend some time listening (which you may have already done).

Assuming the pump itself is fine and the pulley is the only concern, as long as there are no cracks coming off of the break I wouldn't worry about a failure. Technically you will have a mass imbalance that could cause vibration but I doubt that would be noticeable.

OP
OP
Z

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed since, at highway speed I get a bit of a vibration. Could this be the culprit?

And the squeaking sound only happens when for the first few minutes after I start the truck then goes away.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not gonna hurt as long as belt seats in there OK, but if it was me, I would replace. But that is just me. My thought being if idler pulley is worn, that belt may have a lil play. U may wanna have the PS pump checked also in case bearing got tweaked. Hard to know here ref Internet Guessnosis.

OP
OP
Z

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power steering pump is brand new. But the pulleys could be the source of the vibration at highway speeds?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed since, at highway speed I get a bit of a vibration. Could this be the culprit?

And the squeaking sound only happens when for the first few minutes after I start the truck then goes away.

A squeaking belt at the start is quite typical of a belt that is damaged or too loose.
If the belt has no apparent frayed edges or damages, I would check the tension.

This vibration you mention, does it happen at a specific speed? I would doubt it has any relationship to the damaged pulley. Vibration at speed is usually related to wheel balance or driveline couplings.

Like tb56, I would consider replacing it unless it's horrendously expensive.

OP
OP
Z

zyn_enthusiast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A squeaking belt at the start is quite typical of a belt that is damaged or too loose.
If the belt has no apparent frayed edges or damages, I would check the tension.

This vibration you mention, does it happen at a specific speed? I would doubt it has any relationship to the damaged pulley. Vibration at speed is usually related to wheel balance or driveline couplings.

Like tb56, I would consider replacing it unless it's horrendously expensive.

It happens around 50-60 mph. I just got new AT tires, so maybe I just need to get them rebalanced. Thoughts?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It happens around 50-60 mph. I just got new AT tires, so maybe I just need to get them rebalanced. Thoughts?

That's a good place to start.
I would speak to the shop where your tires were installed but keep in mind the items below.

Some tire sellers are grossly incompetent when it comes to balancing wheels.

Many users insist on the use of a 'Road Force' balancing machine.