Power Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My power steering just quit. 2016 ram 1500 Laramie (electric). It was making a scratchy noise in the steering column for a couple days and thought it was the clock spring but I'm thinking the big rack and pinion, wisdom/experience with this issue very much appreciated. When I get this done she's going up for trade off, I've just had it with all the new technologies/gadgets. When the truck is on I can only move the wheel like an inch. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, can I do this job in the driveway/garage?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There should be a fuse(about 100 amp) somewhere right off the battery for the power steering.

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
IF you can get the part, you can replace the EPS in your driveway with ordinary hand tools. IF you can get the part.

Lots of YT videos on the procedure.

I found one video on YT where the guy tells you to take off the wheel etc to gain access to the EPS and then the video starts by showing him putting it back together but DOES NOT explain at all what he did to repair the EPS. Comments are disabled on the video. I'm assuming he replaced the drive belt. But no part #'s provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHlXRvsA54&t=31s

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fuses are good, I got the fuse with windows, verified with ohms check also. The steering column was making a scratchy/ light grinding sound, sounded like a loose plastic rubbing together when turning the wheel. I took the steering column apart and couldn't find anything. I got the mrs to turn the wheel and it was coming from the EPS unit itself and resonating up the steering post. It made that sound for about a month and one morning I got in for a grocery run and bam no power steering, no warning. Ordered the whole new unit from Mopar, $2,800 CAD. Replacing the EPS unit in my driveway where it crapped out thankfully. 155,000 kms on the truck and not the first issue. my 03 cummins 5 speed with 360,000kms is more reliable than the '16 hemi.

Another note, I've read there is a probe into recalling these issues on this gen of ram and wondering if anyone knows of a website to report this issue too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

abates362

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
UPDATE...
I swapped out the whole EPS unit and changed CV axles and stub axles while I had the room. Problem fixed, I didn't take it in to get programmed or whatever some of the fellas were talking about on the videos. I counted the threads on connecting rods and seems to be pretty square, tires are wore out anyway so I'll look for abnormal wear for the time being for alignment. Also when I started it up after truck was sitting for 4 days a big puff of blue smoke came out the pipe. Cant get a break with this truck, just chasing issues.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IF you can get the part, you can replace the EPS in your driveway with ordinary hand tools. IF you can get the part.

Lots of YT videos on the procedure.

I found one video on YT where the guy tells you to take off the wheel etc to gain access to the EPS and then the video starts by showing him putting it back together but DOES NOT explain at all what he did to repair the EPS. Comments are disabled on the video. I'm assuming he replaced the drive belt. But no part #'s provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aHlXRvsA54&t=31s
Most likely just replaced the rack with a new one. The issues with them seem to be module related, not so much with the actual mechanics of the system. Not to say it doesn't happen, but most issues I've seen have all been electrical in nature.

Actually replacing the rack is easy. Hardest part is loosening the bolts and get the steering shaft off the old rack. As long as the new rack is centered and you started with the wheel centered, it's a simple r&r job. Just make sure the steering wheel doesn't spin around.