Power wagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Speer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, just wondering what’s the real difference between a power wagon and some of the other models big horn, Laramie, etc. and is a power wagon good for pulling a trailer ?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Power wagons can lose up to 1/2 of their payload capacity based on the suspension. Not a package to consider if towing heavy loads. The 2500 PW is essentially a 1500 in the work department. But they very cool, and built for great off road adventures. Wish I could have gotten one, but I need to tow heavy loads so got a 2500 6.4 Tradesman. Total enjoy the ride. Good luck

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe they have locking front diff, rear diff, maybe even locking transfer case. A true 4x4. Lifted a tad, not sure how much, and as mentioned above the off road shocks. Ram web site should have all the details. TFL truck on YouTube has some good info on them too

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A Power Wagon is a horrible choice for towing, they have a limited payload do to the softer suspension... They are Not the same as the other 2500's, they are geared towards off-roading with lockers, swaybay disconnect and lower gear ratio etc.

A PW is basically Rams version of a Jeep (a off road capable vehicle).

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
FWIW I tow basically the same stuff I did with my 1500 Laramie...
My Laramie had to work hard, but got it done.
My PW doesn't even know it's back there.
And I don't need a mile to pass someone either.
Ratings be damned, it's still a 3/4 ton truck..
But, yeah it's no Cummins...

Last edited:

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love my Power Wagon. It’s for sure a 2500, and pulls trailers like a dream over what a 1500 would do, but it has the payload and tow capacity of a 1500 because of the suspension. It’s built for off-road fun. Rides closer to a 1500 over a regular 2500. If you are pulling under 10,000, you’ll really like it. If you are pulling a trailer more often than not, you should look at a regular 2500. if your trailer is over 5000lbs, then your tongue weight will be heavy enough that you might want to install air bags on the rear to level out the truck. Its sweet spot is off-road, with rear and front locking diffs, front sway bar disconnect, independent suspension. It’s designed to allow for extreme axle articulation in off-road applications. Having said that, a lot of Power Wagon owners never go off road. They just love the bigger truck with more power and a nice ride, gas engine, winch, overall truck height, look, etc. … like me. But I do pull a 6000lb Airstream on occasion, and I’d never know it was back there if I didn’t have mirrors.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I don’t usually tow anything heavy with my 2015pwb but when I did I knew it. A trailer with 3 quads and a sxs was at the top end of what I would consider the limit. I don’t know how much it weighs but it was my buddy’s trailer. I could tell that the truck was towing but not for lack of power. My friend said he could tell the difference sitting in the passenger seat his 3500 never twitched but the pw was a little weird at speed. Nothing scary just different

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
As was pointed out earlier think of a pw as a truck rubicon that’s what I use my truck for and a daily driver

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    147.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3330.jpeg
    IMG_3330.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 16

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Remember too, it's not just the suspension that lowers the payload.
All the extra goodies like a winch, and skid plates adds to the empty GVW which lowers the payload as well...

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For those concerned about PW cargo and towing capacity, it’s still a 2500. There are so many people who go with another trim and then lift it and think it’s different. The aftermarket lifts have the same affect on vehicle performance, or perhaps worsen them because they’re not fully tested.

So if you’re going to lift it and put big rubber on, don’t fool yourself into thinking you have more capacity. Nor, IMO, should you be afraid of running a PW 2500 over stickered capacity as long as it’s within the 2500 range.

This needs to be said with the caveats that you must not be an idiot, a big ask in this day I know. If you’re heavy, drive slow, corner easy, and brake early. Also look at a load chart for the rubber you use and make sure it can handle your ask and that you’re running the correct pressure.

Last edited:

Philis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the comments here. I have a Rockwood 2023 25foot RV and just traded my 2021 2500 Tradesman for a 2024 Gas Power Wagon for the drive to make it my every day. So much easier to drive than the 21 Tradesman. On my RV FB, someone scared the beejeus out of me saying it was crap for towing. But my Rockwood is is only 5787. I truly think I am fine towing from reading everything here. Any suggestions. I wanted a great looking truck too. Eyes over brain. Bought before I asked. But I thought surly I can tow under 6,000 just me, mysel & I. I have a WDH and I guess should I add air bags?

Attachments

• IMG_8724.jpeg
    IMG_8724.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 10

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
Thanks everyone for the comments here. I have a Rockwood 2023 25foot RV and just traded my 2021 2500 Tradesman for a 2024 Gas Power Wagon for the drive to make it my every day. So much easier to drive than the 21 Tradesman. On my RV FB, someone scared the beejeus out of me saying it was crap for towing. But my Rockwood is is only 5787. I truly think I am fine towing from reading everything here. Any suggestions. I wanted a great looking truck too. Eyes over brain. Bought before I asked. But I thought surly I can tow under 6,000 just me, mysel & I. I have a WDH and I guess should I add air bags?
nice truck

3TV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I towed a 22' PJ Buggy Hauler auto transport open trailer with my 2018 Power Wagon, and it did fine. The trailer weighed about 3,000 lbs, with a 2,000 lb UTV on it.

Hauling a load in the bed was another story. A few times I transported a Polaris Sportsman 1000 cc ATV in the back of the Power Wagon. The ATV weighed ~1000 lbs, and I felt it was unsafe hauling that weight down the interstate in my Power Wagon. If you weren't 100% precise with steering control it would start to sway back and forth, with the swaying continuing to increase until you had to let off the throttle and get on the brakes hard enough to slow it down in a hurry. The swaying was very unsettling for me because I could tell it had the possibility of becoming an out-of-control situation in a hurry, but it absolutely scared the hell out of my wife, who was riding in the passenger seat beside me. After having that happen a few times we just hooked up the trailer and hauled the ATV on the trailer.

Pudge

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Power Wagon 75th
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Very nice! You’ll find your towing experience in a Power Wagon with anything under 10,000 is way better than a 1500. I’m pulling a 6500lb Airstream 27’ and doing two things. Yes to air bags, and using a 10” drop hitch Blue Ox Sway Pro for weight distribution. Often it feels like I’ve got nothing on behind.

Once you have a loaded trailer, your hitch weight can be 900 lbs. So with your other things inside the truck, like bodies, gear, you’ll be maxing your payload, but with the air bags, you’ll get no sag. And for sure, you have to watch yourself to stay within payload legally, but if you slide over a bit, the truck doesn’t know different. It’s a beast.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You should be fine without airbags as long as you have the WDH setup properly. I have a toy hauler thats about the same length but 7300 dry. Add a 1500 lb Can Am and the truck is pretty well maxed out on paper. Truck towed that trailer through the mountains in Colorado fine with just a wdh. I added air bags recently just to level it a bit as it sits a little low still even with WDH.