Purple Drink's Sound Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Purple Drink

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I am new here and this is my first post. Let me first say nice to meet you all. Just a bit of background, this is my first truck besides a 89 S10 I have ever bought. I have a 2014 Ram Sport Crew Cab. If I say or ask anything dumb please don't hold it against me. Just wanted to share my build with the community.

I have been looking into adding a sub to my setup along with amps, 3 way components for the front and new 6x9s in the rear. All of the subs that I see are always for under the seat but has anyone here tried anything else? I am currently working on a sub box to replace my center console. My hope is to make it look as factory as possible. I will post photos of my progress tonight.

Wish me luck.

BTW I haven't built a sub box in over 4 years. I used to work for circuit city a long time ago. So I have a lot of car audio knowledge but some of it may be dated.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
Welcome... :favorites13:

Post up a few pictures of Your truck!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome and I think there are a couple of folks that have done a center console or at least have attempted it around here.

OP
OP
P

Purple Drink

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
going to start shaving, sanding and shaping the box once all the frame work is complete.

I plan to wrap in in faux leather or vinyl. The back side where the sub is will be painted gray to match the dash panels.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
GRRRReat work sir!
Whats the volume of enclosure? & what subwoofer are you gonna install?

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Daum thats going to come out badass.

OP
OP
P

Purple Drink

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am running a Alpine Type X 12

Gross volume is just under 2.0 cubic feet. However I have 1" polyfill sheets to line the entire inside. The Port is 12" X 1 " X 24L".

By the way some of my tricks to building a box will remain a secret because they are very unorthodox but i will tell you a awesome trick to determine volume with out over thought math….. cheerios a 12"X12"X24" box a generic cheerios. LOL

Looking into redesigning the path of the port tonight along with the idea of narrowing it up a bit. I am really going for SQ which is going to be hard with a T Shaped Port. Gonna look into turning it into a Y tonight or tomorrow.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow that looks great can't wait to see the finished project. That is also a bad ass sub we did one to alpine spec box off of 1000w RMS and it rattled **** off the shop walls but sounded great doing it.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Welcome!!! You are off to a excellent start. Looking forward to seeing your finished project.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
I dig the enclosure...it's definitely off to a good start. I can appreciate wanting to do something different but in reality you would have achieved the same results with an underseat enclosure.
If you're gonna run a 3 way front plus 6x9's in the back....you're gonna have a serious tuning nightmare on your hands. I'd seriously consider losing the rears altogether.
A solid 3 way front stage tuned properly will be more than enough even for a crew cab.

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice dude, i think you will fit in around here. welcome!

I agree with unbroken about rear speakers. I dont have em, dont miss em either, but to each their own. You plan on running a processor? factory head unit or what?

Anxious to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
P

Purple Drink

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice dude, i think you will fit in around here. welcome!

I agree with unbroken about rear speakers. I dont have em, dont miss em either, but to each their own. You plan on running a processor? factory head unit or what?

Anxious to see how this turns out.

Yeah I debated about losing the rears. I have also considered sniping the tweet off them. If the 6x9s fight with the 3 ways I will first just try to turn them down till I barley notice they are there …. or my other back up plan is to replace them with a 8" mid bass or tune the 6x9 so it acts like a mid bass.

There will defiantly be a gap in frequency between the 6 1/2 3 way components and the 12" sub. What ever it is is what the use of my rears will pick up.

As for a interface I am using a AudioControl LC6i. A bit old school when comparing it to a BitONE but it will do the trick. The amps I am using are Alpines. PDX 150.4 and PDX 1000.1.

As for the box I should have more photos this weekend. Currently shaping it and prepping it to be wrapped.

Got in all my install supplies last night so I am gonna start the wiring soon too.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In a good 3way setup I don't think there should be any gap from midbass to sub bass the added speakers will really make it a nightmare. The subs should also be able to make up any missing midbass.