Push button start, truck won't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 sport with push button start. My check engine light came on this eve on my way home, figured I would get it looked at in the morning. Pulled up at home, put truck in parked and hit stop to head inside. Radio turned off and dash lights turned off but the truck stays running. Tried multiple times and even driving around the block again but nothing worked. Ended up having to pull battery cables to kill the engine which I didn't want to do. Figured I would leave it for a bit and reconnect the battery to see if it was still doing it and sure enough it is. Anyone had this problem or can point me in the right direction?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
2014? the right direction is towards the dealer. :)

not much help, but seriously, you're still under warranty, no?

OP
OP
J

jmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I had bought the truck from a used third party dealer but purchased extended warranty. And the truck only has 45000km on it so should still be covered under factory as well

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'm assuming you have the 8.4 Nav unit. There is an option under settings for "engine off delay", you might wanna check to see if that is set to off. I would also wait at least 15min and see it it shuts off.

OP
OP
J

jmitch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take a peek at that in the morning for sure. Maybe somehow had a glitch and switched itself. I did on off and it kept running for some time and had no sign of turning off but I'll check that for sure

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I would definitely recommend having your local servicing dealer take a look at this! Please keep us posted on what they say and let me know if there's anything I can do to be of assistance. This should be covered under the factory powertrain warranty.

chesafreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Crew
Engine
Other reason I can gloat on why the older the vehicle the better, new automotive is tech is junk

Im sorry but new automotive tech is awesome. Gut may have an issue with the push button but I think its one of the greatest things ever. Im still waiting on my truck but it was the first features I made sure ordering after having one on the wifes Sonata for the last 5 years. Actually had an issue with the sonatas remote start as well but under warranty was just a quick trip to the stealership. No biggie.

Dont get me wrong. I love the simplicity of older rides. Am on the hunt for a k5 to put together cause old vehicles are cool.

luckydiyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really hope people get this message because I seemed to have fixed my issue regarding my 2013 5.7 1500 not shutting off. The problem for me was that when I tried to turn the engine off, I got a message that said that the vehicle was not in park, although it was (console shifter). I took apart the console and inspected all of the mechanical components and all seemed in good working order, so I thought it was an electrical issue. So, I turned on the engine, pulled the 20 AMP ECM fuse, and the engine stopped. I reinserted the same fuse, started the truck and pressed the stop button, and it stopped. I repeated this step 5 times and it worked every time. This repair sounds kinda cheesy, and it may mean more issues with the ECM itself, but what can I say, it is working. Please try it before taking to a dealership. My mechanic buddy will weigh in on this fix when he returns my message but I didn't to waste time in telling people about this.

luckydiyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK, yanking the ECM fuse is dumb. I haven't had any issues in doing that, but its dumb. I just yanked the fuel pump fuse and the engine die. No issues with that either, but geez it is a pain, but it is safer from an electronics point of view. Rather than fix it I will trade it in unless someone has a sure fire fix for it...

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a common problem on the new Darts. There's a microswitch that should make contact when you shift to park. After hundreds of on/offs it gets wonky. The solution is to cut the wires to that microswitch and solder them together. Works on the Darts, hopefully the same for Rams with a console shifter.

luckydiyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you!! I had taken my console apart to see if there was a mechanical linkage failure - there was none. I'll take a look. Appreciated!