Quad Cab vs Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well think about it this way, with the longer bed it will be easier to carry the material from Home Depot to extend the garage. :gr_grin:

In my case there is no room in the garage for my Ram anyway so if I get a '13 I can go for the longer bed.

True. I hadn't considered not parking in my garage. I would build a new house with a garage to fit whatever I drive before I parked outside everyday, but that's me and you're entitled to whatever suits you. The longer bed on a CC would be nice.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You aren't really supposed to tow a 5th wheel with a 1500 anyway, and trying to turn corners with a 5th wheel and pull over bumps at the same time in the 5'7" box would have me often concerned for the back corners of my cab.

Also even an SUV like the Durango can be rated for 8,500 lbs which is darn close to the 1500's 10,000 lbs. then you have way more interior room, and you could still get a bumper pull travel trailer. Also it would fit in your garage, and give you interior room for kids and cargo, no strapping, and tarping your luggage, or other gear that can't get wet.

This sounds more like a want as opposed to a need discussion on trucks though, in which case I would probably go with the CC.

Black Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have loved to get a Durango or Grand Cherokee but to get one with a hemi cost is 10,000 - 15,000 dollars more than I spent on the Ram. Not willing to pay that much for a Dodge product.:shooter:

ram-head

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want a Grand Cherokee in the garage, too. But since I won't buy one until I can afford an SRT8, I doubt I'll ever get one.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You aren't really supposed to tow a 5th wheel with a 1500 anyway, and trying to turn corners with a 5th wheel and pull over bumps at the same time in the 5'7" box would have me often concerned for the back corners of my cab.

Also even an SUV like the Durango can be rated for 8,500 lbs which is darn close to the 1500's 10,000 lbs. then you have way more interior room, and you could still get a bumper pull travel trailer. Also it would fit in your garage, and give you interior room for kids and cargo, no strapping, and tarping your luggage, or other gear that can't get wet.

This sounds more like a want as opposed to a need discussion on trucks though, in which case I would probably go with the CC.

Dodge did a study before they made the Ram 1500 4th generation and found that most buyers needed at most 10000 pound towing ability as they are usually used tow tow a boat and smaller campers. They also found that many don't tow with 1500's at all and want more people space. You can try and make fun of people that use their truck differently or you can realize that reality is 1500 buyers do so because they want a vehicle that can do it all including getting groceries, towing reasonable loads and hauling loads like tree branches and bikes.

I tow more than anyone I know with a 1500 but I will be first one to tell you bed size has nothing to do with how much work my truck does and in a lot of situations I probably should have bought a 2500. Don't assume because you have a QC and the guy who pulls up next to you has a CC you somehow use your truck as a truck more or something. We all have different needs no doubt and the facts should talk. Feeling like more of a man because you have a long bed really is not a fact just an opinion.

So to anyone out there trying to decide sit in back of both and tell me what you think having your knees stuffed in the back and plenty of room for the ATV in box. I'll take the room up front and haul things with the tailgate down or in the trailer where big loads belong anyway.

Most of the things we do are wants not needs. I could get to work on Razr scooter but does not make me want to do it. I drive a pickup because it is what I prefer and can afford right now.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I definitely am not trying to make fun of people that "use their trucks differently." I also, don't assume the guy who has a CC uses his truck less than me, although that would probably be a reasonably safe assumption in most cases.

I will say that, "Feeling like more of a man because you have a long bed really is not a fact just an opinion," is a funny thing to say since it seems kind of snide. I guess though I do appreciate the huge ***** extension that I drive for all the work it does, but I sure wish I could get a long box because I personally could do more work with a long box.

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem is you won't be able to fit in a standard garage.

Perhaps my garage isn't "standard" although I think it is; but I fit my Powerwagon in it before the leveling kit and 35's went on. It was a cc 6'4" bed.

DrewB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 CC.it is in the body shop right now cus it got hit with an egg. Any way my rental is a 2013 slt qc. After driving it for a few days I am so glad I got a cc. I have so much more space and my passengers appreciate it. I'm with the others. Get a CC

OP
OP
H

hemipowerv8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Going with the Crew for sure...will have to order though as I want the 8 speed also...

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im a bit late on this reply, but I came from an extended cab Silverado with the rear suicide doors, Cab room was never an issue and I had kids and adults in the back of that, the only thing I did not like was the suicide doors, it was almost impossible to get stuff in the back when in between vehicles in a parking lot.

I liked the Quad because it has the same bed size my Silverado had and I figured if I wanted a full size back seat I should probably be looking at an SUV instead of a truck.

Dont get me wrong, I think the Crew Cabs look great, but I really didn't want to spend the extra $ for less cargo space. Love my Quad Cab. Just my .02

Ike:imo:

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im a bit late on this reply, but I came from an extended cab Silverado with the rear suicide doors, Cab room was never an issue and I had kids and adults in the back of that, the only thing I did not like was the suicide doors, it was almost impossible to get stuff in the back when in between vehicles in a parking lot.

I liked the Quad because it has the same bed size my Silverado had and I figured if I wanted a full size back seat I should probably be looking at an SUV instead of a truck.

Dont get me wrong, I think the Crew Cabs look great, but I really didn't want to spend the extra $ for less cargo space. Love my Quad Cab. Just my .02

Ike:imo:
I have more backseat room than my girlfriends 4runner
e2ade5az.jpg

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't see a rider in passenger seat being comfortable if my daughters car seat is behind them in a QC as even in my crew it touches until she is old enough and I can face her forward.

$miley

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I can't see a rider in passenger seat being comfortable if my daughters car seat is behind them in a QC as even in my crew it touches until she is old enough and I can face her forward.

$miley

This is why I'm getting a CC... I have a 1 month and 2 year old... Car seats are going to be around a while! :disgust:

Ike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
e2ade5az.jpg

As you should, I was refering to the 1500 QC vs CC. (Nice truck by the way)

I guess if you have a couple young'uns around you might opt for the cabin space in lieu of cargo space. I have passed that stage in my life and am quite happy with the QC.

Ike

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I like that even with a forward facing car seat my 3y/o still can't kick the back of my seat.. She drives my wife nuts with that in her Journey.

Workram11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi5.7
I had a 2010 QC 1500 and hated it. We had to have the car seat in the center of the back seat, which isn't the safest place to have it. Not an issue with the CC and we can also fit more stuff back there. My truck, with a long bed, still fits in our garage next to my wife's XL Denali.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I mainly use my truck for hauling my quad and with a QC it fits perfectly with the tailgate up which makes it so much easier for throwing my fuel jugs and extra gear in the box. I don't have any kids or haul more than one person in my truck very often so for me a QC with more box space was a better fit. If I didn't have a quad I would have probably gotten a CC though. It mainly comes down to what you use your truck for. I think either way they are nice trucks.

Reactions: Ike

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
e2ade5az.jpg

Believe it or not, if you compare specs on the dodge website, the 1500 crew cab has the same or more people space in the back seat than the megacab does, depending on which spec it is (headroom, leg room, etc).

The mega does have the small storage compartment behind the seats and the back seats recline.