Question about differences between security bypass installation between Alfa and Tazer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just have a question about the bypassing of the security module in my 2018 if I was to go with either that Tazer or that alpha OBD thing.

To those that probably remember, I stated a long time ago that I probably wouldn’t ever get that alpha OBD thing or the Tazer because of the fact that I thought I had read somewhere that stated I’d have to pull my radio out to put that bypass harness in just so I could use it. Then I eventually saw over in the alpha OBD thread that the bypass is actually below the steering wheel but after reading on another thread here recently, I found where someone was recommending the Tazer to someone and when I went on their website to look it up, that’s where I remember seeing what I read a long tome ago that said that Tazer’s security bypass module has to go behind the radio and the only way to get to it is the whole center dash portion has to be pulled off, radio removed to install it and then what makes matters even worse, is if you ever have to take the truck in for warranty work or for recall work, in order for the shop’s computer to be able to talk to your truck, you have to take the security bypass out from behind the radio and put it all back together before you take it in. I have lifetime warranty on my truck so, I really don’t wanna have to pull the radio in and out for whenever whatever time comes up where my truck has to go to the dealer.

That’s why I never got one was because of all that but now I’m curious, why is it that the bypass for the Taser goes behind the radio but the bypass for the alpha OBD thing is right down there below the steering wheel?

Quite frankly, and even though it’s gonna be a lot more expensive to buy a Taser than it would be to buy a cheap android tablet, the Alpha OBD app and that Bluetooth reader thing that plugs into my OBD two port but it seems the Tazer be the easier to deal with and offers more live functions. The Alpha OBD thing just has way too much going for it, being that I have a limited that I really don’t even need that for what everybody else does who basically wants to add all the options that I already have. Because really, the only thing I’d like to add is the disabling of the fog light drop out when the highbeams are on and maybe a couple other things but that’s it. Even if I have to leave it plugged in all the time, that’s OK, as long as it doesn’t emit any kind of interference that jack’s with my key fob range and the transmission of information from my TPMS sensors like that Diablo sport Trinity tuner that I had on my old 08 truck would do when it was left hooked up.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There’s two different ways to bypass the security gateway module, and they both accomplish the exact same thing. The one that comes with the tazer bypasses by actually replacing the gateway behind the radio. The one that most people use from Kaodtech plugs in-line with the OBD port, and has two connectors that plug into the can bus junction blocks. It is easily installed and removed. It doesn’t matter which one you use for the tazer or AlfaOBD because they both do the same thing. Yes, if you need to go to the dealer, you must remove either one. It’s not out of warranty concern, it’s because their tool just won’t work with the gateway bypassed.
Since you seem set on getting the Tazer, but don’t like the fact of removing the radio to install/uninstall the bypass, ask them if the only difference between the 2017 and 2018 tazer is the fact that the 2018 comes with the bypass for $60 more. If that is the case, then get the 2017 tazer, then buy the bypass from Kaodtech so you have a bypass that is easy to remove when you need to.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s two different ways to bypass the security gateway module, and they both accomplish the exact same thing. The one that comes with the tazer bypasses by actually replacing the gateway behind the radio. The one that most people use from Kaodtech plugs in-line with the OBD port, and has two connectors that plug into the can bus junction blocks. It is easily installed and removed. It doesn’t matter which one you use for the tazer or AlfaOBD because they both do the same thing. Yes, if you need to go to the dealer, you must remove either one. It’s not out of warranty concern, it’s because their tool just won’t work with the gateway bypassed.
Since you seem set on getting the Tazer, but don’t like the fact of removing the radio to install/uninstall the bypass, ask them if the only difference between the 2017 and 2018 tazer is the fact that the 2018 comes with the bypass for $60 more. If that is the case, then get the 2017 tazer, then buy the bypass from Kaodtech so you have a bypass that is easy to remove when you need to.

I’ll be damned. Wonder why Tazer wants you do you do all that extra work??....lol. That doesn’t make any sense if they both bypass the module, just in different ways and in different places. It wouldn’t be so bad to only have to rip all that **** out once and never deal with it again but to have to rip the dash apart to undo the bypass, that’s pretty stupid.

I will definitely give them a call, thank you.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2019
Engine
Cummings 6.7
I have both and both install same way into Cam port to left of steering wheel lower section.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 and 2019
Engine
Cummings 6.7

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Classic or new bodystyle? I guess if you did have the new body style and can use that taser with the same security bypass option as the one they use for the alpha OBD, I would hope that I would be able to do the same. Might not be the same cable though.