Question about lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Test driving a PW tomorrow and quite possibly buying it. In all likelihood the salesman will know jack about the truck, so I have a quick question.

I've noticed in pics and videos that there's a dial that has "front lock" and "rear lock" for the lockers. Does this mean that all 4 tires can't be locked together and only one axle can be at a time?

If all 4 can be locked together, how is that accomplished since I haven't seen anywhere on that dial to lock both axles at the same time?

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Disregard. I just watched another video and it appears I didn't see it correctly the first few times. I now just saw there is a setting for front and rear lock.

Answered my own question. Hopefully I can get this truck tomorrow.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck with the purchase. It's always nice to be able to answer your own questions

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Don't forget about the front sway bar disconnect and the 4 wheel shift is on the floor instead of the console.

Man, I've looked at PW to long to know all this without owning one. :(

Good luck and hope the numbers work out for you!

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can only lock the axle's and disconnect the sway-bar when the transfer case is shifted into 4 Low.
If you are in 2 wheel drive,or 4 high,the lights on the switch's will just blink,and nothing will happen.

There is a by-pass kit being made to fix this problem by another member.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
You can only lock the axle's and disconnect the sway-bar when the transfer case is shifted into 4 Low.
If you are in 2 wheel drive,or 4 high,the lights on the switch's will just blink,and nothing will happen.

There is a by-pass kit being made to fix this problem by another member.

Awesome info and good to know, thanks!

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lockers and Swaybar Disconnect Operation

Swaybar will disconnect in 4Hi and 4Lo at speeds below 19 mph.

Lockers only work in 4Lo.

Both blink until they activate, then light goes solid to show its engaged or not.

This is my only real annoyance about this incredibly capable rig; The Swaybar Disconnect won't work in 2WD, and that the Lockers don't work in 4Hi and then even in 4Lo, they disengage and the Swaybar connects back up if you exceed 19 mph.

I run "unimproved / non-maintainted" roads a LOT and would like to be able to at least go 45-50 without the swaybar connected. I also run in the Dunes, where momentum is key to going up any incline... Lockers that remained working at higher speeds would be a big benefit.

Luckily, the truck has a very good LSD and that allows you to get most places as is in 2WD.

I would go right out and purchase or wire up the "work around trick" to get all of these neat functions to work independently and on demand at any time, but I don't want to pooch my warranty just yet.

**Shaner82, when you go for your test drive, it will seem like the Lockers will not engage as the lights will just keep blinking for a very long time. This is because it is on pavement. You need to do some "S" turns to get the lockers to align. Then, it will start binding, as if driving in a circle with 4WD activated. You'll feel it in the steering.

Off Highway, where there is enough slip for the tires to rotate independently and lock up, it happens pretty quickly. But you can drive for days in a straight line down the street and if the wheels don't turn at varied independent speeds, it may never lock up. I was freaked when I first bought mine and kept getting only a flashing light on the dial, expecting it to instantly lock everything up. It won't, and it is totally normal.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's definitely a way to override those limits. It was a simple mod on my Jeep Rubicon to get the lockers working in 4hi, although I didn't do it. Probably something similar for these trucks.

On the Jeeps guys were just running power directly to the lockers with aux switches. Some guys used relays, some didn't. Google for it and you'll get the idea.

Then you could lock the rear if you want even in 2wd.

Could probably do the same thing for the sway bar.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I figured it was possible, but I don't like the idea of hacking an splicing on the new rig. And the warranty thing.

It's just a shame that they have to dumb everything down from the factory for the least capable and most liability suit filing operators.

:mad:

Now you have me wondering how hard it would be... problem is, it all seems connected. The ESC, ABS, SwayBar, Lockers and Tow Haul mode all do different things (even when it acts like you have shut it all down) when going in and out of 4Lo.

In 4Hi you can activate Tow/Haul mode and reduce or turn off ESC. You go into 4Lo and it shuts off Tow Haul and turns ESC back on it appears. But, then you can use the Lockers... go figure. :shakehead:

Don't they understand there are times in a guy's life that he wants to deliberately get his truck all out of shape and sideways? :burnout:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't think you need to splice anything. Just add additional wiring and switches to apply power to the lockers. The lock indicators and such won't work, but the axles will. Google for jeep rubicon locker mod.

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the lockers only work in 4lo? That's too bad, I'd love to have the rear locked in 2wd.

What about the ESC? On my 1500, the only time I can disable it is when in 4lo. Is it possible to disable the ESC in 2wd on the PW?

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a member on here/on the registry that is making bypass kits that use the factory knob. Allows you to lock them up whenever you want. I have one installed on my truck, no splicing at all. Very professional kit that uses OEM connectors. There is quite a waiting list right now though. If you are lucky he will see this thread and chime in. I would recommend going over to the registry to talk about more specific PW stuff.

OP
OP
shaner82

shaner82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the registry?

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Google: power wagon registry

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There is a member on here/on the registry that is making bypass kits that use the factory knob. Allows you to lock them up whenever you want. I have one installed on my truck, no splicing at all. Very professional kit that uses OEM connectors. There is quite a waiting list right now though. If you are lucky he will see this thread and chime in. I would recommend going over to the registry to talk about more specific PW stuff.

Hey that's me! LOL.

Yes, the waiting list keeps growing but I just haven't had the time to get them done... Family crap keeps popping up. :D

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So the lockers only work in 4lo? That's too bad, I'd love to have the rear locked in 2wd.

That is correct. Luckily it has nice tight Limited Slip in the rear (all the time obviously).

But, I too would strongly prefer to have the ability to activate / deactivate all the features when and where I wanted.

I too, have never heard of "The Registry". I will have to check it out.

There is a similar thread going on now over in the 4th Gen section about LSD's, ESC, ESP, Traction Control and when you can or cannot activate them.

I am a bit embarrassed to say, but I don't recall if you can fully lock out ESC in 2WD. I know you can turn off the Traction Control Portion.

I guess I need to go back out and play with it while taking notes so I can remember what mode I can access and under what conditions, meaning in 2WD / 4Hi / 4Lo, etc. It can be a little overwhelming to remember all the combinations. But, I really should be familiar and confident in my own rig.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey that's me! LOL.

OK, so where is the thread, or how do I get on "The List". More importantly, what is it going to take to get pushed up to the top? :****:

And hey, myyoung84, can you go offer an opinion in that other "LSD" thread so NYCruiser and I can finally get this hashed out?

:D

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OK, I offered my input. LOL.

I also don't want to break any rules here but there's a website called the Power Wagon Registry that has oodles of Power Wagon info. ;)