RA1 to RA2 upgrade gone bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014Exp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemim 5.7
As stated ugraded my RA1 radio with a RA2 and all was good, except for the SiriusXm issue of it always going back to the preview channel. To try and fix i downloaded the 5.0 uconnect upgrade and well that ended up in the notorious 114 error or bricked. Great so I throw the RA1 back in and nothing.. like no power getting to the radio, Put the ra2 back in and same thing.. I tried checking for power on the Red wire on the connector but dont see any voltage. Checked the fused and all are good? Am I missing something before I take ti to the dealer... It still under warranty so I can just have them correct the old RA1, but I think the RA2 is toast.

Any Advice?

Thanks

Clyde

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I read somewhere that there is an in line fuse between the battery and the radio just before it goes through firewall. Apparently around the brake booster.

Saw the picture posted a while back, no idea where.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read the same thing , can't remember where though .

Good luck Sir .

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I didn't grab a picture of it when I blew mine, but it's a different size than the rest of the fuses in the power distribution block. I believe it was a 20 amp fuse. It's in a square rubber protective unit inline from the battery to the firewall. It took a bit of effort to open and then to close this (which is good because it probably means a good weather resistant seal).

OP
OP

2014Exp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemim 5.7
Thanks

Thanks for the info,, found the fuse mentioned and that was it.. Unfortunately my new RA2 is a bricked,, and tech support is useless. Oh well picked up another cheap at the Junkyard and all is good again.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info,, found the fuse mentioned and that was it.. Unfortunately my new RA2 is a bricked,, and tech support is useless. Oh well picked up another cheap at the Junkyard and all is good again.
Could you please post pictures of this inline fuse Sir ?
A photo of its location and size may help someone in the future

Thanks !

jgkreal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PT 4.7
Hey 2014exp! I have upgraded my RA1 to a RA2 but it keeps turning off around the 2 minute mark, any suggestions??

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Put the ra1 back in temporarily and/or test the Ra2 back in the original truck if possible.

PS: it's not a sales code issue. Lots of people have swapped the ra1 for an Ra2 without any issues.... Although some have had issues with different year radios in their truck (while others haven't).

http://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458159]M² Mods.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey 2014exp! I have upgraded my RA1 to a RA2 but it keeps turning off around the 2 minute mark, any suggestions??

Throw the crappy factory radio in the trash and go aftermarket. Then if you ever decide to add an amp you wint have to spend $250 on a pac and have crappy signal with the speaker level inputs. Rca to rca connections will always sound clearer than speaker level inputs.

jgkreal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
PT 4.7
Throw the crappy factory radio in the trash and go aftermarket. Then if you ever decide to add an amp you wint have to spend $250 on a pac and have crappy signal with the speaker level inputs. Rca to rca connections will always sound clearer than speaker level inputs.

Thank you for your input! But I really love the clean look of the RA2, dont plan on adding any subs or amps anytime soon so I will probably just stick with the RA2! thanks tho!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the RA2 , it's clean and simple , good hands free Bluetooth and a good backup cam view as well . A nice upgrade from the RA1 imo [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk