RA4 headache

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2014' Limited with the RA4. I was on an earlier firmware and chose to update it to the latest one today. Well after doing that I have now lost the ability to see my reverse camera on the screen. Only the cargo cam comes up.

Prior to the update I could select cargo or reverse camera. Now it's just cargo.

Is there any way to downgrade the firmware?

I was on 17.11.07 and updated to 18.45.01

I suspect no.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I still have my reverse camera in the rearview mirror (Which I hate). Much prefer it on the nav screen. I did have to run wires from the A pillar to the radio to get the reverse camera on the navigation display years ago when I got the truck.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
No downgrade...
Issue with 13-15 RAx radios. Only fw 17.11. could display both BuCam and Cargo Cam on radio (other versions are 1 or the other input only (there are technically 3 video inputs). Not an issue with 16+ radios.

The video inputs are likely swapped around on you now from 31,32,33 to 24,25,26 or vice versa.

See this post on the BuCam thread.... Post # 51

** Do you have BuCam only, or BuCam and Cargo Cam??
(What option camera buttons show on the radio?)

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No downgrade...
Issue with 13-15 RAx radios. Only fw 17.11. could display both BuCam and Cargo Cam on radio (other versions are 1 or the other input only (there are technically 3 video inputs). Not an issue with 16+ radios.

The video inputs are likely swapped around on you now from 31,32,33 to 24,25,26 or vice versa.

See this post on the BuCam thread.... Post #

** Do you have BuCam only, or BuCam and Cargo Cam??
(What option camera buttons show on the radio?)
I was afraid of that. Damned it. Yes the head unit has a "cargo cam" button and when pressed displays the reverse cam.
When put in reverse the HU does nothing and the mirror integrated rearview turns on.

I guess I'll have to reverse the wire mod and live with the way it is.

I should have left well enough alone.

Anyone want to trade a 16 or 17 RA4 for a ?UAQ? I had installed the android auto radio in my truck and pulled it out to put an RA4 back in. I had the separation issues that's well known with the UAQ. I had replaced the digitizer once. My goodness that factory goop is horrendous. Worked good for 2 years and now the replacement digitizer is acting up again and I do not want to deal with it. I have the USB thing and adapter harness also.

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For clarification I could pick up a 2016' or 2017' RA4 and have both cameras no matter what firmware it's on correct?

Also I notice there's some 8.4" with navigation but no sirius and no u-connect. My truck has sirius and u-connect neither of which I use. Should be plug and play if I should pick one up?

Thanks folks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I was afraid of that. Damned it. Yes the head unit has a "cargo cam" button and when pressed displays the reverse cam.
When put in reverse the HU does nothing and the mirror integrated rearview turns on.

I guess I'll have to reverse the wire mod and live with the way it is.

I should have left well enough alone.

Anyone want to trade a 16 or 17 RA4 for a ?UAQ? I had installed the android auto radio in my truck and pulled it out to put an RA4 back in. I had the separation issues that's well known with the UAQ. I had replaced the digitizer once. My goodness that factory goop is horrendous. Worked good for 2 years and now the replacement digitizer is acting up again and I do not want to deal with it. I have the USB thing and adapter harness also.
I'm sure someone would take you up on that offer but you may be able to stop the digitizer issues by opening the radio and replacing the thermal material inside for about $20 if interested.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For clarification I could pick up a 2016' or 2017' RA4 and have both cameras no matter what firmware it's on correct?

Also I notice there's some 8.4" with navigation but no sirius and no u-connect. My truck has sirius and u-connect neither of which I use. Should be plug and play if I should pick one up?

Thanks folks!
Uconnect No, SXM yes.

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm sure someone would take you up on that offer but you may be able to stop the digitizer issues by opening the radio and replacing the thermal material inside for about $20 if interested.
Hmm. What thermal material are you speaking of? I've already been through the chore of getting all the goop off the LCD so diving into it again for anything else is probably trivial at this point.

Thanks

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hmm. What thermal material are you speaking of? I've already been through the chore of getting all the goop off the LCD so diving into it again for anything else is probably trivial at this point.

Thanks
It's much easier then digitizer replacement!

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Thanks folks!
17 Ra4 VP4-NA Nav USA radio..
68270661Ax

Will work fine. Direct swap. Cameras work on all fw.

Edit:
Not sure how your cargo/BuCam Reroute was done, but you may have to swap video inputs

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp decided to just purchase a unit out of a 2017. PN 68270661AE Hopefully this will allow me to have both cameras on the radio screen. RA4 and ?UAQ or UAS? will be posted for sale soon. I can't remember which of the two it is but it does have navigation.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Welp decided to just purchase a unit out of a 2017. PN 68270661AE Hopefully this will allow me to have both cameras on the radio screen. RA4 and ?UAQ or UAS? will be posted for sale soon. I can't remember which of the two it is but it does have navigation.
Nav = UAQ

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp. Got ANOTHER RA4/VP4 and I am happy to say this one does have both cameras as you guys said it would. It's out of a 2017 Grand Cherokee and works perfectly!

I'll post up the UAQ and other RA4/VP4 here soon.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: I just noticed I do not have authorization to post a FS ad? I'm certain I have sold a thing or two here a few years ago without issue. Interesting.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Welp. Got ANOTHER RA4/VP4 and I am happy to say this one does have both cameras as you guys said it would. It's out of a 2017 Grand Cherokee and works perfectly!

I'll post up the UAQ and other RA4/VP4 here soon.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: I just noticed I do not have authorization to post a FS ad? I'm certain I have sold a thing or two here a few years ago without issue. Interesting.
It used to be 50 posts but I guess they upped it...

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I found the faq about it. Oh well. I'll get there eventually. Just odd because I have sold at least 1 thing here before. My stock radio as a matter of fact back when I put in the Android auto unit.

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I only have 2 more questions.

I'm pretty sure on the UAQ and my original RA4 I had a rearview camera button and cargo camera button in the menu. Now I have only Cargo camera but when I select it I can then toggle between the two.

Setting I'm missing in AlfaOBD or is it just the way it is? Just a minor annoyance now.

Also. From what I can tell the BCM only sends power to both cameras when the vehicle is below a certain speed. Is there a setting I can change to leave them powered up all the time so I can peek at the cargo camera while driving?

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ugh the saga continues. So about a week ago I installed another head unit from a 2017 Grand Cherokee so I could have access to both the cameras. I plugged it in, entered the pin and all was well. AM worked, FM worked, HD channels worked and Sirius worked. Nav worked fine. Clock used GPS to sync and all was great. Drove it last weekend no problems.

Get in the truck today and the clock is way off, Sirius is gone and AM/FM can be selected but all presets gone and you cannot tune anything as in there's no frequency displayed at all. Try to type one in and nothing happens.

Did a hard reset of the radio. No change.
AlfaOBD to hard reset the radio. No change.
Pulled the battery cables for a few secs. No change.

GPS is locked into my location.
Bluetooth via phone works fine.
Climate controls, setting etc all seem fine.

Any ideas? This unit came from a wrecked Grand Cherokee so I really doubt it was having issues before I put it in my truck.

Thank you.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ugh the saga continues. So about a week ago I installed another head unit from a 2017 Grand Cherokee so I could have access to both the cameras. I plugged it in, entered the pin and all was well. AM worked, FM worked, HD channels worked and Sirius worked. Nav worked fine. Clock used GPS to sync and all was great. Drove it last weekend no problems.

Get in the truck today and the clock is way off, Sirius is gone and AM/FM can be selected but all presets gone and you cannot tune anything as in there's no frequency displayed at all. Try to type one in and nothing happens.

Did a hard reset of the radio. No change.
AlfaOBD to hard reset the radio. No change.
Pulled the battery cables for a few secs. No change.

GPS is locked into my location.
Bluetooth via phone works fine.
Climate controls, setting etc all seem fine.

Any ideas? This unit came from a wrecked Grand Cherokee so I really doubt it was having issues before I put it in my truck.

Thank you.
No idea, but most salvage yards offer free exchange or full refund on defects...

OP
OP
F

firehawk618

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welp I managed to get it working again.

I'm not sure how much of these were related but here's what I did.

BCM: Country code was not set. Changed to USA. Still no tuner.
Radio: Changed region code from 0 to 2. (Put my old radio in to see what the code was on that. It was set to 2) Still no tuner BUT now the Driver / Passenger heat icons on bootup were on the correct sides of the screen. Progress.
Radio: Re-loaded the latest software update after making the changes above and the tuner is back! Still have both cameras. Only 2 issues that I can see and I am going to wait a day to see if they correct themselves.

1. Interior rearview mirror dimmer button is gone. (this radio never had that button for some reason)
2. GPS time is off by an hour.