Raced a Maxima today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
My buddy drove this to lunch today, BWW parking lot, and its in the 40's here...talk about turning heads when someone pulls next to this 7.50 car, on the streets LOL
at stoplight, "no man, its not just another cammed Mustang" LMAO

20201123_110735.jpg

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My buddy drove this to lunch today, BWW parking lot, and its in the 40's here...talk about turning heads when someone pulls next to this 7.50 car, on the streets LOL

View attachment 228345
Quicker than mine but hey I like my low 10 NA street car. IMG_20200926_171123.jpg

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Elzie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think about what mods you'd have to do to a sbc or sbf to make the power my truck does stock? It wouldn't be much fun to drive and sure wouldn't be as reliable. These are Good times we're living in automotivally![/QUOTE said:
You'd be surprised at the reliability of today's power adders. I have a 2001 Mustang GT convertible that's cammed with headers and a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger. Very dependable and streetable making 470 HP and 510 TQ. Unfortunately, I have the same problem as the original poster and tend to drive it on the spirited side of the tach....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

View attachment 228345

My buddy runs a high 9 sec 3rd Gen Diesal,it's his daily driver "farm truck" no less,lol. When the trucks not at the track,it's usually got a 100 gallon slip tank in the box or a box full of bales,lol. He likes surprising hellcats,lol

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy runs a high 9 sec 3rd Gen Diesal,it's his daily driver "farm truck" no less,lol. When the trucks not at the track,it's usually got a 100 gallon slip tank in the box or a box full of bales,lol. He likes surprising hellcats,lol

He has to have some $$$ in that. Converters alone for a big diesel start in the $$$$ figures.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
He has to have some $$$ in that. Converters alone for a big diesel start in the $$$$ figures.

He doesn't talk about money,but i'd guess he's thrown a few bucks at it,lol. He also has a shortbox regular cab 4X4 3rd Gen Diesal that's his race truck,they're still working on it's tune,but on the shake down pass it went 9.2's,by next summer i expect it'll be in the 8's once he's got it dialed in.That truck is impressive as it'll boil all 4 slicks way out past the 100 ft mark on a full boost launch,lol

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is funny. 6:00 AM this morning, I'm on the way to the gym. Manage to catch the light making a right turn and beat the traffic. This particular stretch has a series of light about 1/2 mile apart. Here comes this late model Nissan Maxima flying by, come up on the next red light and jambs on the brakes. Next green light he floors it (four lane thorofare fwiw), next light sure enough, slams the brakes. I'm positive he's going to do the same thing at the next green light.

I put the trans in tow mode and watch the light, Throttle up to about 800-900 rpm to take slack out of the driveline (I used to drag race - a lot) . Light turns, I'd bet my reaction time was well under 1.0. Let the truck run out the gears , let up about 60-65mph , Nissan was just starting to walk away at that point anyway.

Guess my point is, Nissan Maxima is spec'd to run 0-60 in 5.7 seconds (obviously controlled conditions), but this 5700#, 3.21 geared, 33" AT tired hunk of iron hung right with it in real world.

Have to be honest, I was pleasantly surprised. As predicted, driver of that Maxima wouldn't look over at the next light.
I've done this to what Corvettes owners call "Ricer" cars and have yet to lose between lights and always backing off at 60mph usually way ahead. These Ram trucks are geared low, mine is 392, with lots of torque plus plenty of HP, shouldn't lose to a Ricer car that is geared for higher end racing. I've raced only a few times and it's mostly to show up these young obnoxious punks.

Like GRN69CHV said, it funny as all but one wouldn't look at me at the next light and the one who did gave me a Thumbs up.

I've had plenty of experience as I've had 5 Corvettes over the years with this one the hottest:
https://moskovita-photography.com/1977.htm

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've done this to what Corvettes owners call "Ricer" cars and have yet to lose between lights and always backing off at 60mph usually way ahead. These Ram trucks are geared low, mine is 392, with lots of torque plus plenty of HP, shouldn't lose to a Ricer car that is geared for higher end racing. I've raced only a few times and it's mostly to show up these young obnoxious punks.

Like GRN69CHV said, it funny as all but one wouldn't look at me at the next light and the one who did gave me a Thumbs up.

I've had plenty of experience as I've had 5 Corvettes over the years with this one the hottest:
https://moskovita-photography.com/1977.htm

Mine only has the 3.21's, out of the hole with the low 1st gear that ratio works, but you're setup with 3.92's probably doesn't drop off as fast by the time you get to 3rd -4th gear.

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's always someone seemingly late for work on a stretch of brand new 4 lane road with 5 stop lights about a 1/2 mile apart on my morning commute, and I'll usually oblige them at some point if the moment is right. This morning it was a Maxima. In the snow. lol Wasn't much of a race but I figured it's funny enough to post here.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

View attachment 228345

Man that is just plain awesome man. Classic 4-eye notch back mustang.

I had many foxbodies over the years including my current 87 GT convertible

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Man that is just plain awesome man. Classic 4-eye notch back mustang.

I had many foxbodies over the years including my current 87 GT convertible
and still Ford powered! :)

my family too, youngest has had one Mustang GT, oldest has had 4 GT or LX Foxbodies over the years.

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There's always someone seemingly late for work on a stretch of brand new 4 lane road with 5 stop lights about a 1/2 mile apart on my morning commute, and I'll usually oblige them at some point if the moment is right. This morning it was a Maxima. In the snow. lol Wasn't much of a race but I figured it's funny enough to post here.

No way, you came across someone in a Maxima also!. Must be a Maxima forum somewhere on the Net where they have similar discussion going "Raced a Ram Today".

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No way, you came across someone in a Maxima also!. Must be a Maxima forum somewhere on the Net where they have similar discussion going "Raced a Ram Today".
Post on a maxima forum... dude some crazy guy in a truck was driving like a maniac today on my way to drop my car off to get those two blown spark plugs fixed.....

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

lol I hope so!

I had already read this thread and was thinking Oh yeah, I gotta post this. This particular Maxima owner was real persistent too. Coming up to the next light, there was a car in the left lane so he got behind me, knowing I'd probably be faster at the green. We were off down the road and someone was in the right lane in front of me, so I gently merged over to the left lane, and with snow on the street making slush/snow ruts it's a bit of a white knuckler making that move. Maxima guy gave it a shot, but quickly thought better of it and just slowed down and stayed behind. This was all at about 50 mph. Like I said, not much of a race, but funny and I'm pretty sure he was just late for work.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check this out new Rebel pumeling new Silverado, TRX Obliterating New Raptor. It's rumored Ford is making a super Raptor with the GT 500 engine and in theory have plans to crush FCA TRX with it.. gotta love when the manufacturers compete for HP, is a win-win for us, at least for those of you guys who can afford them :)

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View media item 30271
Mine was completely rebuilt... high 9's now, NA build.

However, not about to race anybody on the street in this. Way too much risk, last thing i want is some numb skull 18 year old in his parents 5.0 to break loose and clip me... But, i would probably be so far ahead that it would be irrelevant, still not worth the risk lol

OP
OP
GRN69CHV

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View media item 30271
Mine was completely rebuilt... high 9's now, NA build.

However, not about to race anybody on the street in this. Way too much risk, last thing i want is some numb skull 18 year old in his parents 5.0 to break loose and clip me... But, i would probably be so far ahead that it would be irrelevant, still not worth the risk lol

I take this as you have a C6 that runs 9's? Obviously a Vette driveline in the picture. Will be interesting to see what tracks do in the future.

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, 2008 z06. I've only put about 10 miles on it this year, been spending too much fun playing in the truck.

I'll put a few miles on it next year, but not many. The roads around here are just terrible.