Radiator fan doesnt come on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john818

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey so I recently got a 2014 ram 5.7 and for the first couple months it ran fine. Noticed recently the temp Guage will creep up to 3/4 of the way before the H when idling in hot weather. I also noticed my A/C doesn't blow as cold as it used to. I checked my coolant levels and there spot on, I decided to sit in idle and monitor my radiator fan to see if it would come on with the A/C on and off. It never came on. I inspected the connector to the radiator fan and it is secure, I checked the fuses visually for breaks in the circuit and they looked fine. I have two relays, one for RAD FAN HI SPD and one for RAD FAN LOW SPD and a 60 amp RAD FAN HI/LOW 60 amp fuse. I noticed there's no fuse in slot F01 which corresponds to RAD FAN PMW. Anyone know if the missing fuse is my issue? Thanks

OP
OP
J

john818

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BTW when I drive the temperature Guage goes back to normal temp which makes me think logically it's the radiator fan, thanks again for ur input.

shopman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it have the mechanical fan still on the engine? It would be the high speed fuse that runs the fan because it's only a high speed setup. Unplug the connector going to the fan and check. if you get voltage between the two pins that course. bond with the ones on the fan plug. If you have voltage, then it's the fan If you don't have voltage, then you have to check into the system. But it. won't turn on until about 220 and more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

john818

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it still has the mechanical fan on the engine in addition to the radiator fan. Thanks man I'm going to check for voltage at the high speed fuse and at the connector.

OP
OP
J

john818

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it got really hot where I'm at so decided to let the truck idle and tested for voltage, I had voltage at the fuse terminals and saw the fan kick on when I reinserted the fuse for the high speed. I did find my coolant is leaking from the coolant sensor which was causing my temp to go up when I idle. Thanks again for the information on which fuse runs the RAD fan!

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Electrical fan suppose to come on with the AC on no matter what the temp is.
If its running with the AC on its most likely the mechanical fan clutch.
When you are cruising the air flow from your speed will keep radiator cool.
If you are idling or moving slow in stop & go traffic you will heat up if fan clutch isn't engaging.

Edit: Reread & you said you sit at idle with the AC on & off & electrical fan didn't work so keep looking in that direction.
Maybe someone else could chime in on the pin-out connections to check.

Last edited: