Radio help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman. My radio is starting to crap out. It is the RES non-touchscreen. The radio will turn on and I can change the channel, switch between satellite to CD to am/fm and it recognizes all of that but there is no sound. Won't even recognize I am turning the volume knob. Then at random it will play sound and the volume will work. Once it is working it will continue to work until I turn the truck off. It won't cut out. Sometimes it works right when I start the truck. Sometimes it won't and will start working when I hit a bump or when just sitting in a parking lot. It is completely random. So I was pretty sure it was the radio. I have tried to reset by disconnecting the battery. Didn't work. I found a RBZ touchscreen radio in working condition and installed that and it worked great for the first 4 or 5 days. Now that radio will work when it wants. The screen is completely black but when i touch the screen it beeps acknowledging that I touched it. Then the next time it will turn on and work like normal. What could cause this? I thought it was the radio. I am leaning twords the truck now.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Check the connection behind the radio. Whenever I hear going over a bump changes the problem, i think loose connection or a short.

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do as Huntergreen suggested also check the wiring to the radio to make sure nothing is being pinched anywhere and make sure none of the wires are being pulled tight which could stress the connection in the plug.

Go out to your TIPM, the box in front of the battery and check the fuses to make sure they are all tight and secure. Push down on them and rock them back and forth in the seats a little. I think the radio fuse is M38 or M37, the top of your cover will tell you. One last thing to check, there is an inline fuse on the harness in the engine compartment, google hidden ram radio fuse and it should bring up some topics for you.

OP
OP
Trucker202

Trucker202

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I will check all that in the morning.