Ram 2023 Regear help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevie_chams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
Hey Guys! i just purchased a 2023 2500 ram limited and am in the process of installing an AEV lift on it. i have purchase 38.5" tires to go with the lift. im assuming i need to re gear given how big the tires are. having tons of trouble finding the right measurements for the rear. are 2023 running at 11.50" or 11.80"??? is there anything available for 2023 yet? if it is 11.50" in the rear can i order the rear gear for an older model truck or will it not fit? looking for as much help and advice as possible.

really appreciate it!
steve

healthyrx

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport Night
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like the limiteds come with the standard output diesel and 3.73 gears. I would say give it some time driving to see if you really do need to regear. Also being a MY23 it will likely take some time before the big brands come to market with gearing kits.
FWIW I just purchased a MY23 F350 CCLB that I will be putting 38s on soon and regearing from the 3.31s is not high on the list of priorities. From what I can tell these diesels make more than enough torque and HP to be fine on larger tires unless you plan to be towing at max capacity through mountains regularly

OP
OP
S

stevie_chams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
yeah im not planning to tow much other than my boat from time to time and my 18ft trailer with snowmobiles. my main concern by not regearing was the stress the 38.5" tires will put on the transmission over time... Would love to keep the truck for 5 years so not sure how bad that is for the tranny long term. also wondering if i tune the truk and delete the DEF, will this put less stress on transmission or changes nothing?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
From what I can tell these diesels make more than enough torque and HP to be fine on larger tires unless you plan to be towing at max capacity through mountains regularly

Oh they do, but that's not the issue. It's the additional strain on the 68RFE transmission that will be the problem area.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Tell us again why 38.5 inch tires are important to you.
The knee bone is connected to the thigh bone. Giant tires put a strain on the whole drivetrain, trans, transfer case, 2 diffs and the suspension. I made a living driving in the bush with stock vehicles. The ones that seem to break all the time are the "one's set up for the dirt." My 2 cents.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Agreed on sentiments stated... a 38+" tire is a lot of rotational mass for any vehicle that's stock.

If you're only in it for five years of ownership...maybe think about 35's and not going crazy on mods that only hit the transmission that much harder.

Sure the engine can handle it, but the poor transmission is the backbone of your entire vehicle. Doing heavy mods like diesel tuning (stage 2 or higher, especially) and/or deletes is not going to benefit you after the five years of ownership when it comes to resale.

I get where you're going with wanting monster tires, but maybe take a step back and look at the overall picture and regroup your expectations with the deliverable that are achievable within the operating parameters of the stock transmission.

Either that, or drop the coin and have a heavy duty bullet proof and modified transmission built that will handle anything you can throw at it, and be done with questioning if the stock transmission can handle it.

Just my $0.02.

OP
OP
S

stevie_chams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L diesel
the 38.5' wasnt really thought out to be honest. i purchased them with the AEV lift kit thinking it wouldnt be this difficult to find a regear package. i've spoken to Nitro today and they mentioned as long as i'm not towing max payload i will be fine until they come out with regear package for 2023. i had a ram power wagon previously for 6 years with same lift and 37.5" tires. i never had an issue with it. what a great truck! i was also told by nitro that i should be looking at installing a larger transmission cooler which will help prolong the trucks life

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Wow 38.5' is a really tall tire. That is like a two story building. You might need 4.11 or taller for those tires. ;)

OTOH, if they are 38.5", the 3.73's will probably be OK with the fairly light tow load. If the trans goes, then replace it with a built transmission. The warranty on the stock trans likely will be void anyway with the lift kit and tall tires.

the 38.5' wasnt really thought out to be honest. i purchased them with the AEV lift kit thinking it wouldnt be this difficult to find a regear package. i've spoken to Nitro today and they mentioned as long as i'm not towing max payload i will be fine until they come out with regear package for 2023. i had a ram power wagon previously for 6 years with same lift and 37.5" tires. i never had an issue with it. what a great truck! i was also told by nitro that i should be looking at installing a larger transmission cooler which will help prolong the trucks life

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
4.11s would be barely adequate. Higher gear ratio would be an improvement. More like 4.88s.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
double check on any DELETEs that you may want to do
More & more Motor Vehicle Rules are being changed every few months, it seems like