Ram 2500 5.7 battery saver mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildBill2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys, I've seen a few threads on here about battery saver mode but no answers that I can see...

My, new to me, 2016 Ram 2500 has been in my possession since Thanksgiving. I have a Fisher V-plow. I've been getting "battery saver mode" almost every time I plow. It's not a big deal, but I kinda like having the radio work... Before I hit 36000 miles, I had my local dealer (not where I bought it from) check out the electrical system and they replaced the alternator. The service manager and I both agreed a two-three year old battery shouldn't be bad. So it happens less frequently, but still an issue especially when I have the lights on. I really don't want to buy a new battery for a 3 year old truck, that I've owned for 3 months. Does anyone have a way to disable battery saver mode? It's very frustrating to have to restart the truck to get my radio to come back on.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just a thinking out loud, is your plow grounded to the frame? Or to the battery itself? The "Battery Saver" sensor is on the negative terminal. The high inrush of the plow could cause enough voltage drop to trip it. Or that "sensor" could be bad.

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does your truck have the snow chief group? They come with a bigger alternator..220amp I believe. Mine will go into battery saver mode if its really cold and I have the heat on high, radio on and am running both blades. They draw alot! Mine is a 16 and I replaced the battery already and went with the most CCA I could. It helped alot.

OP
OP
WildBill2500

WildBill2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think I have the snow chief group, but I am definitely going to check out the plow's grounding and get the highest cranking amps I can, if I have to go that route.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It's interesting that the EcoDiesel alternator is rated for 230 amps where as the higher output for the HD trucks is 220 amps. Although the EcoD does have electric power steering and an 850 watt cooling fan for the radiator. Both of those have 125amp fuses coming right off the battery.

bman2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I have a 2019 Ram 2500 and my Battery Saver Mode comes on in the cold weather (Oklahma) not in the warm weather. Heat takes power Steering Wheel Heater comes on and that's when my Battery Saver Mode kicks on.......so I took out Fuse 43 (Steering Wheel Heater Fuse) so far so good......good luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 with snow chief group and I get the battery saver mode. I only have 200kms and I don't have a plow. I was thinking my battery is toast.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
18 2500 with a Cummins, and I'm getting it now. The grid heater uses a lot of juice when first starting so I'm assuming that's the big draw.

Weird part is that even though I get the message, my heated seats and steering wheel are kicking ass the whole time. Not gonna worry about it until the time comes that it won't start. Then, bigger batteries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
18 2500 with a Cummins, and I'm getting it now. The grid heater uses a lot of juice when first starting so I'm assuming that's the big draw.
Keep in mind that the grid heater is still kicking on and off after the truck is started and until warmed up enough.