Ram 2500 6.4 hemi pick up tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6_4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The transmission pan was punctured and replaced.Drove it half a mile down the road without oil pressure thinking it might need to build up.The pickup tube was bolted up,it wasn’t tight enough or something.I took it to a mechanic not a machine shop and said it would most likely need a new motor.The mechanic didn’t look at the cylinders or anything on the inside of the block.Do I need a new engine or is it worth trying to bring it to a machine shop to have it rebuilt.The shavings in the pan are from the pick up tube.I only drove it a half mile then turned it off and has only been towed around since then.This happened in the transmission pan not the engine pan for people who are confused

Attachments

• IMG_1776.png
    IMG_1776.png
    466.5 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I'm going to preface ALL of this by saying everything below is guesswork based on your post.

How would the transmission pan being punctured affect the engine? Do you mean the engine oil pan was punctured?

I think you need to clarify that for us first and give us some backstory - was it the transmission pan that was punctured, or the engine oil pan? Did you drive the vehicle after the puncture or was it immediately shut off and towed home?

If you had a transmission pan puncture, then had an engine failure, that's two separate issues and your motor already wasn't healthy.

If you had an engine oil pan punctured, drove it home with low oil, then let it sit until the pan was replaced, then there's a strong chance you already had damage to the engine and not picking up oil just made things worse.

From years of doing my own oil changes (which causes momentary no oil pressure at first startup and would be similar to replacing an oil pan), your oil pressure should have picked up within 30 seconds. Any longer and it should have been shut off and investigated.

OP
OP

6_4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The oil pressure was fine when I parked it and knew the pan needed to be replaced the problem occurred when I replaced the transmission pan and the pickup tube must not have been tight enough or moved causing the oil not to build pressure

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it is your motor oil pan ,when you crushed it is when the pickup became dislodged.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The oil pressure was fine when I parked it and knew the pan needed to be replaced the problem occurred when I replaced the transmission pan and the pickup tube must not have been tight enough or moved causing the oil not to build pressure
You are confused. The transmission pan has absolutely nothing to do with the engine oil pan.

OP
OP

6_4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
there’s nowhere it says engine pan I said the transmission pan that has oil in it was punctured.Can you tell me where I said engine oil pan.PROBLEM OCCURRED IN TRANSMISSION PAN.I was wondering if the TRANMISSION PAN PICKUP TUBE in the TRANSMISSION PAN NOT ENGINE PAN would cause me To Need NEW MOTOR.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there’s nowhere it says engine pan I said the transmission pan that has oil in it was punctured.Can you tell me where I said engine oil pan.PROBLEM OCCURRED IN TRANSMISSION PAN.I was wondering if the TRANMISSION PAN PICKUP TUBE in the TRANSMISSION PAN NOT ENGINE PAN would cause me To Need NEW MOTOR.
No it would not trans has nothing to do with motor no connection oil wise and the pan in the picture is your ENGINE pan. It sounds like you ran something over and hit both pans bending the ENGINE pickup tube hence loss of oil pressure. I recommend pulling 1 rod cap looking at bearing if it looks fair I would replace pickup tube and pan throw it back together and seeing if it knocks.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
no oil pressure for half mile. all the crank and rod bearing are wiped out for sure. sorry about the bad news

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You're still confused.
There is no pick-up tube in the transmission pan. The fluid is picked up through the filter.
And the pic you posted is a pic of an engine oil pan.
And NO anything you damaged in the trans has absolutely NOTHING to do with you needing a new engine.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Did the engine start knocking after half a mile? Any shavings in the oil filter?

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

As others have said, no, there's no pickup tube in the transmission - the oil is picked up through the filter. If THAT was loose then you could have a fluid issue in the transmission where it wouldn't pick up fluid, but then again the truck wouldn't MOVE if the transmission couldn't pick up fluid since it wouldn't build pressure.

NOTHING there would cause you to need a new motor. There would have been no reason that your engine oil pressure wouldn't have been normal right from the initial startup.

If your engine oil pickup tube in your motor was loose and fell off, you would have had to hit the outside of the motor pretty hard to knock that off even if it was loose. They don't generally just 'fall off.' Either way, this would be a separate issue from ANYTHING in your transmission.

As others have also said, you posted a picture of your ENGINE oil pan, not your TRANSMISSION oil pan. If you had to replace the transmission pan, do you have any pictures of the damage? Just to show us what happened? I think it'll clear up some of the confusion you caused by telling us you did work to your transmission then had engine troubles, then posted a picture of the inside of your engine oil pan.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
I don’t really see any shavings inside the picture of the oil pan. The entire posting is just confusing. Who knows?!? It’s funny the issues some people have and then jump onto a forum and post about it vaguely.

I see posts about 2011 Jeep grand Cherokee hemi 5.7 oil pan. They are saying the pickup tube is press fit or threaded and when you drop the pan a new pickup tube and seal are required. Maybe OP dropped the pan and the tube came out along with it, from what I read on Jeep forum this might be by design.

His zero pressure could have been caused by a sensor issue.

If it were mine I’d get a new pickup tube and seal, bolt up the pan, with RTV applied in the appropriate places and fill it with oil and turn it on. An easy way to tell if it’s getting oil or not is to install a new filter, turn engine on for 10-15 seconds, turn it off and unscrew the filter and see if it has oil.

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don’t really see any shavings inside the picture of the oil pan. The entire posting is just confusing. Who knows?!? It’s funny the issues some people have and then jump onto a forum and post about it vaguely.

I see posts about 2011 Jeep grand Cherokee hemi 5.7 oil pan. They are saying the pickup tube is press fit or threaded and when you drop the pan a new pickup tube and seal are required. Maybe OP dropped the pan and the tube came out along with it, from what I read on Jeep forum this might be by design.

His zero pressure could have been caused by a sensor issue.

If it were mine I’d get a new pickup tube and seal, bolt up the pan, with RTV applied in the appropriate places and fill it with oil and turn it on. An easy way to tell if it’s getting oil or not is to install a new filter, turn engine on for 10-15 seconds, turn it off and unscrew the filter and see if it has oil.

You're absolutely right about the different ways to check, and that it could have been a sensor issue. Still, he saw that he had no oil pressure and went for a drive, I would not have moved the truck if the oil pressure didn't come up right away or within 15-20 seconds, it should have been shut off and investigated.

My point is, though, that if he replaced the transmission pan, then he didn't need to open the engine in any way. It is either a very unlikely stroke of bad luck that the oil pickup tube fell off while he was replacing the transmission pan, or for some reason he pulled the engine oil pan while he was replacing the transmission pan. Or he doesn't understand which oil pan he replaced and thinks the engine oil pan is the transmission oil pan, but I don't think this is the case.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The engine oil pick-up tube is bolted to the oil pump,and also to a main bearing cap,odds of both bolts falling out and letting the pick-up tube dislodge from the oil pump,are pretty long odds,lol
Anybody else notice he joined Feb 22nd,and hasn't been back since Feb 24th,makes you kind of wonder a bit ;)

OP
OP

6_4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I dropped the oil pan and only way to do that was to remove the pickup tube and when I put I back up it was on tight chances are if the 5.7 pickup tube is threaded the 6.4 is threaded too and my issue is I didn’t replace the pickup tube. I had to replace the oil pan and transmission pan both were damaged from bottoming out,sorry for the confusion

Last edited:

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I dropped the oil pan and only way to do that was to remove the pickup tube and when I put I back up it was on tight chances are if the 5.7 pickup tube is threaded the 6.4 is threaded too and my issue is I didn’t replace the pickup tube. I had to replace the oil pan and transmission pan both were damaged from bottoming out,sorry for the confusion
You were pretty insistent that you only changed the transmission pan, knowing now that you had to replace both (as we asked/assumed many times but you insisted you didn't) then that changes things.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat