Rambox Tonneau cover recommendation please...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Backflip G2 too on my Rambox. First problem you're going to have is that it won't be watertight right after install. You will have to get yourself some black Door and Window Silicone and seal a bunch of crap to make it work. Biggest pain in the ass is getting the drains watertight. I bought the upgraded panels so I don't have a problem with them denting, but for $800+ , I expected a better product. If I was to do it again, I'd find the cheap roll up type that I had on my old Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I'm thankful to have a F1......only because the previous owner put the $$$ on it. :)

After purchase I fixed a few issues with it and def not water tight right now.

I replaced the padded foam rubber stripping where it rests on the cab, added some self tapping screws to tighten up the pull bars where rivets had popped out and attempted to reseal the little drain cups.

It was also missing the straps to hold it open and was the old D ring version. The struts were intact and work great.

I ordered the newer strap kit from Bakflip and it was a quick easy install.

Paired with a Bedrug, it's a giant locking trunk. For my use I love it.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still loving my Extang. The only water that gets in the box comes from around the tailgate. A tailgate seal will fix this

twolabsdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Bakflip F1 - Too Easy For Thieves, Too Hard To Install

Apologies for the long delay in posting an update on my experience with my Backflip F1.

Installing it was a challenge! There are some serious disconnects between bakflip and Ram. Turns out that a few trips to Home Depot were needed to get washers to shim the brackets on the rails so that the latches would actually be able to close with more than just the tip of the latch grabbing. Also, the hardware for the support rod that keeps the thing open required smaller nuts, seems the rails Ram used were "different" than what they expected. I'm still trying to get the thing to align properly and to close easily... not fun at all. And the drainage cups that go on the front... they don't fit and have to be cut because of the top plastic trim has a tab that holds it into place on the rail.

When I spoke to bakflip, they acted surprised, nobody EVER calls with these sorts of issues. Yes, sent them a bunch of pictures to prove I wasn't making this stuff up!

Last week of December while I'm on vacation in San Antonio. At 8:30 AM the hotel staff knocks at the door, guess what? Truck was broken into! They not only busted my rear passenger door window, they popped my rambox (without setting off the alarm I might add) and more relavent to this thread, they were able to open the bakflip f1 without damaging it! Had no idea, don't recall anybody sharing that you can lift the larger separator joint up and slide the first two segments back which exposes enough of a gap at the tailgate to get fingers in to unlatch the cover. I'm attaching pics here, let your own eyes be the judge.

Now, I'm stuck with a problem--- To keep it, or return it?

It does a decent job of keeping the water out. It does allow me to travel and keep things in the bed. But it does not allow me to keep things in the bed securely.

I'm curious what the community thinks and if others have had a similar experience.

Grant211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Seems like backflip is the crowd favorite, but damn they are pricey

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Seems like backflip is the crowd favorite, but damn they are pricey

Don't get a BAKFlip VP. The warranty is shorter and the vinyl only looks great at first. It actually traps rain water and eventually begins to cave in and separate.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Tyrant

Reaction score
Ram Year
'12CC / '15RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't get a BAKFlip VP. The warranty is shorter and the vinyl only looks great at first. It actually traps rain water and eventually begins to cave in and separate.

this is true.. it took almost 3 years but this is what I'm facing now.
the cover was great for the time I had it but now looks bad, I plan on replacing but honestly can't find anything with as low profile as the bakflip.
the G2 on my 12 has held up fine over the years, in retrospect I should've spent the extra $ and got the G2 instead.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
this is true.. it took almost 3 years but this is what I'm facing now.
the cover was great for the time I had it but now looks bad, I plan on replacing but honestly can't find anything with as low profile as the bakflip.
the G2 on my 12 has held up fine over the years, in retrospect I should've spent the extra $ and got the G2 instead.
Same timeframe for me too. I think BAKFlip knows it too because all of their other warranties are much longer. The only saving grace is things still stay dry in the bed, but for the cost of this cover I'm very disappointed.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Bakflip HD held up pretty well on my 2012 over the two years I had it. I did start to have seal problems around the tailgate though. But it looked almost as good as it did when I bought it. I just traded my 2012 in on a new 2018 with ramboxes over the weekend so I’m back in the market for another bedcover. I went with a 6.4 bed so I couldn’t transfer the existing cover. [emoji1]

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just bought the BAK Revolver X2. I like it so far. It’s a rollup, so it does not take up any space, it’s vinyl top but solid aluminum underneath and locks full length on both sides of the entire box. Time will tell but so far I like it.

OP
OP
H

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought the BAK Revolver X2. I like it so far. It’s a rollup, so it does not take up any space, it’s vinyl top but solid aluminum underneath and locks full length on both sides of the entire box. Time will tell but so far I like it.

Pics? [emoji1]

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have an access tonneau roll up for the ram box from my 2015 1500 I'm willing to part with. Worked great on my 1500. I tried the tuxedo on my new 2500 with ram box and it was so high off the tailgate I sent it back. I'm thinking I'll get another access roll up since it sealed so well.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk