RamBox Utility Rails with BakFlip or Retrax Tonneau Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to decide between the BakFlip F1 and the Retrax Tonneau Cover for a 2016 Ram 1500 with RamBox.

I did not order a tonneau cover from the factory and read on one of the threads (link below) that the Utility Rails were different from the factory depending on whether or not you ordered the factory tonneau cover. I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere else, and would doubt that Ram would stock different Utility Rails. However, I could be wrong, so enlighten me if you have any knowledge of whether this is true. I don't want to order an aftermarket cover and then find out I have to change the rails.

Also, I was leaning towards the BakFlip F1 but just came across the Retrax (a lot more $) that I saw on a Ram 1500 with RamBoxes. It seems like a nice fit, but will take up some bed space where it rolls up inside the box? My Ram is the 5'7" bed.

Anyone have the Retrax Roll up and how much space do you lose in the bed with it and does it leak much with rain or car wash? Or do you recommend the BakFlip?

Thanks, truck should be here in about a week so I want to order something soon.

http://www.ramforum.com/f41/help_figuring_out_rambox_rails-77652/

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Hi BleuCheese, if you are getting the Rambox without the factory cover, then the rails will work for a ReTrax cover. Only if it you had a factory installed cover would you have a problem. Those rails are designed differently as they provide a flat surface for the cover to seal.
My truck came with a factory cover so I know first hand about this. I was able to sell my factory cover to someone looking for a cover. So, he bought my cover and we swapped the rails.
I can't say for sure about the BakFlip, but I think it uses the same rails.
ReTrax box will take up some space, but only you can decide if it will be an issue or not.
I bought the ReTrax PowerPro MX. It is dry except back around the tailgate. Not really that bad and I could probably seal it with some foam, but it is not that big of a thing. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,604
OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the clarification on the rails. The ReTrax cover looks good in your photo. What do you think of the quality of the product? I don't mind spending the the money on good equipment, but don't want buyers remorse if it doesn't function as the manufacturer shows in their video's. Do you remember if it was difficult to install and does it ever jam up on you? They show that it opens and closes easily with one hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had the Bakflip G2 on my 1500 with Ramboxes and like it. This time around I considered the Retrax, but ultimately decided against is because of the loss of bed space. You loose just over a foot, and if you have a short bed, that's a lot.

I ended up with the Bakflip HD this time around, and I am really happy with my purchase.

12901316_1546587132304315_9090087740866973480_o.jpg

Bakflip makes a really solid product. Just make sure you purchase one from an authorized dealer.

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ReTrax and BakFlip seem like 2 great options. Do you have to open the tonneau covers in order to access the RamBox so you don't throw he top seal out of alignment? It seems like the videos online show the cover in the open position when RamBoxes are opened and closed.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
The ReTrax cover I have is a remote controlled power cover. I don't think it's a necessary option. I was on the fence about power/non-power at first. Wasn't sure how it would be reaching across the Rambox. I can say now that a power cover is not necessary. But it did include a LED light which my '15 didn't have.
It glides easily and never binds. I actually installed it myself, but they do recommend having help to place it in the bed.
Originally I was going to get the shiny black, but then opted for the MX which matches the finish on top of the Rambox lids. It's a matte black. ReTrax is very nicely made and high quality. I have a 6.4' bed by the way. If you are getting a 5.7', then you will need to decide about the canister space. You will have about 8 1/2" from the bed floor to the under side of the canister. Length wise I'd say figure on about 1' is lost.
And just to add, with the Rambox you will get a bed extender/divider included. I use it as a bed divider, but if I would have something too long, I could drop the tailgate and mount the divider on the tailgate as well. Something to consider.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,403

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
Here's a pic looking down at the canister with the cover fully opened. About 12" and you can see the LED light as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 498

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
This pic shows the space that is under the canister. About 8 1/2"

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 665
OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oe542bob, good info and photos. I called and spoke to a rep at Retrax today. I'm not looking for a power unit. I think the manual one would work just fine. Now I have to decide between the ReTrax One and ReTrax Pro. Polycarbonate vs Aluminum. It's a $500 difference between the two models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can open my boxes without opening the cover. No problems with the rubber not being seated. Both trucks. I'm in and out of mine all the time. So if that was a problem with the G2 I would not have purchased the more expensive HD for the new truck.

Stage4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 Cyl
Go to a LINE-X dealer and get the Truck Gear Hard Retractable Cover. It's a rebadged RetraxPro MX and you get a lifetime warranty with it which you can't get with a Retrax badged cover (it comes with a lifetime warranty, but parts are prorated after 3 years).

If you want a Bakflip, you can get the Truck Gear Hard Folding Cover which is a cross between a Bakflip and an Undercover Flex. You also get a lifetime warranty which you can't get with any Bakflip or the Flex.

If you want something a bit different, take a look at the Bak Revolver X2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the comments and suggestions...ended up just ordering the RetraxPro MX from AutoAnything over the phone. They were willing to knock a little bit of money off and free shipping/no tax. Plus, I was watching some YouTube videos that I could find on installing it and it doesn't seem that difficult. Save a little $$ on installation. The truck cost enough to buy, so have to save money where I can now.

I'll post up a photo once I get the truck and cover installed.

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RetraxPro MX

Installed the RetraxPro MX yesterday. Seems to be a quality product and is working well so far. I would say it took me less than 2 hours total by myself. I had to stop and run errands during the install so I didn't time it exactly from start to finish. I only needed help moving it from the garage to place it on the truck. Not that it is too heavy but rather cumbersome and I didn't want the rails bending.

I also put the BedRug Bedliner down.

I'm not sure why the photo is sideways, but just turn your monitor over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 209

XPLSV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, just to clarify: with the RetraxPro MX cover in the closed position, the Ramboxes can be opened fully?

OP
OP
BleuCheese

BleuCheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, just to clarify: with the RetraxPro MX cover in the closed position, the Ramboxes can be opened fully?

Yes the cover doesn't affect the RamBoxes. The cover can be open, closed or anywhere in between and the RamBoxes can open fully.

XPLSV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes the cover doesn't affect the RamBoxes. The cover can be open, closed or anywhere in between and the RamBoxes can open fully.

Thanks. Getting close to ordering a Power Wagon with the Rambox configuration and now that I am getting close, I have been looking at tonneau cover options. I used to have a RollnLock on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 and generally liked the functionality. I had to give up some space at the cab side of the bed, but it was a tradeoff. I've been very interested in the Rambox storage compartments over the years and there are some tradeoffs with those...but this thread has been very informative and the photos of the tonneaus on the Rambox are better than I was finding on the company sites.

XPLSV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got my RetraxPro MX cover installed--very happy with it. Thanks for the input guys!
picture.php