Rear brake rebuild almost done, now this...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They seem to wanna sit just off-center a little. I can easily center them by moving them but they seem to wanna naturally migrate toward the rear.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
update: I just tried to install the old drums and was not able to get it to fit all the way on.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I haven't but the forward shoe has a pin that the adjuster lever mounts to so they'll only fit on one side. You can see it at the very right of the last picture. Still think I should switch the fronts though?

My bad you’ve got the shoes on right. I was remembering the old GM cars(before anyone knew what a computer was)

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
update: I just tried to install the old drums and was not able to get it to fit all the way on.

A Q I didn’t think about.
Did you have the drums turned?
Is there a lip on them?
How far are they going on before they stop?
Is it getting cockeyed midway on?

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

Might need a rubber hammer and help them get motivated with some light love on each side working your way around

Hero6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did back brake shoes on my 99 last weekend, i did not notice the back shoes having a thicker pad than the fronts. they could be made that way and i didn't notice, but you may want to go to the parts store and compare another set of shoes...Also, what about the new adjuster on the bottom, have you compared it to the old one? Is the new adjuster longer maybe?

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Q I didn’t think about.
Did you have the drums turned?
Is there a lip on them?
How far are they going on before they stop?
Is it getting cockeyed midway on?

I did not have the drums turned. There's not much of a lip at all. I just got new drums because I figured it would be nice to have new drums with new shoes.

They make it about halfway over the pads. Not quite far enough for the lug studs to come through. It appears to be hanging up about midway onto the shoes with no particular area appearing to be the problem. They get stuck equally all the way around.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did back brake shoes on my 99 last weekend, i did not notice the back shoes having a thicker pad than the fronts. they could be made that way and i didn't notice, but you may want to go to the parts store and compare another set of shoes...Also, what about the new adjuster on the bottom, have you compared it to the old one? Is the new adjuster longer maybe?

I did compare shoes while at the store earlier. They are the exact same size/shape/dimension. I did not check the adjuster....I'll do that.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might need a rubber hammer and help them get motivated with some light love on each side working your way around

I gave it some heavy love but still no. They hang up exactly like the new ones do...which leads me to believe there's nothing wrong with drums. It's gotta be some other part...I think...heck if I know. I'm pretty frustrated by now.

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a picture of the farthest I can get the drums on. It catches on the entire shoe, both front and back. The second picture shows the line that the drums leave on the shoes. It makes it about halfway over it. This line is consistent across the entire front and rear shoes.

fG0fJdR.jpg

WXDG0Lc.jpg

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did compare shoes while at the store earlier. They are the exact same size/shape/dimension. I did not check the adjuster....I'll do that.

Adjusters are same size. I tried to install drums with old adjuster but still same story.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

MrROgers did get new spring kits. You might be right and need to go back n use the other (old) adjusters.
I’m thinking that since the new shoes are thicker they could be for the heavy 1/2 or light duty he trucks yes they were built. But in all reality I believe that the drums weren’t turned so there’s a lip on them making it hard to go back on. I’ve had that issue before and couldn’t afford to turn the drums. So

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hmmm

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Your outta your mind. What the hell are you thinking. Install new shoes and grind them down so the drum goes back on. I’m damn sure glad your not working on my truck!!

Yeah me too, seems like your apita. As I SAID “worst case”, you’ve never been in a situation where some old school backyard type **** was required to get you going when needed?

Last edited:

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah me too, seems like your apita. As I SAID “worst case”, you’ve never been in a situation where some old school backyard type **** was required to get you going when needed?

I grew up fixing it on Saturday so daddy could get to work on Monday.
I never had a concrete floor until I bought my house and it barely fits a car. The only lift I had growing up was a tractor jack and cynder blocks. I did get an opportunity to go to college then a career in the Marine Corps.
Since you seem to know where I’ve been and in what situations I’ve been in... You must be a psychic.
Now this is another mans thread so I’m asking you to follow the forum rules and lets you and I start a friendship. You never know when WE might need each other’s help on a confusing situation.
And btw I’m a custom hot rod and race car builder.

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
MrROgers
Did you get the drums back on yet?

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I grew up fixing it on Saturday so daddy could get to work on Monday.
I never had a concrete floor until I bought my house and it barely fits a car. The only lift I had growing up was a tractor jack and cynder blocks. I did get an opportunity to go to college then a career in the Marine Corps.
Since you seem to know where I’ve been and in what situations I’ve been in... You must be a psychic.
Now this is another mans thread so I’m asking you to follow the forum rules and lets you and I start a friendship. You never know when WE might need each other’s help on a confusing situation.
And btw I’m a custom hot rod and race car builder.

1, never said I knew where you came from or what you know or what you’ve went through so don’t put words in people’s mouths. 2, you called me out on some bs because shaving a 1/8-1/16 off would hurt so much! So next time keep calm and you won’t disturb others threads. No hard feelings, good day and thank you for your service. Sorry op.

Last edited:

Usual Suspect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Used to be pretty common to take a skim cut on new shoes on the grinder to get them to fit with new drums and to true them up.
shoe grinder.JPG

OP
OP
M

MrR0gers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting heated in here. I Just wanna say that I love you all. Everyone has been very helpful :)

MrROgers
Did you get the drums back on yet?

I've had no luck. I'm at the end of my rope. I had to walk away. There's just no logical reason for them to not be fitting. I haven't turned the old rotors but I got new ones. Anybody got a suggestion? At this point the truck is inoperable and I really need to get it working. Got a bunch of jobs lined up that need to be done.

Last edited: