Rear Camera Shadow on tradesman Mirror/8.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have 2018 Tradesman 2500 I have had a 8.4 hooked up for 6 months or so, I like my rear view camera in the mirror. However I would like to have the 8.4 have the backup camera image too, just so the blue screen isn't there and the wife would appreciate it down there.

Anybody has there's setup this way, I already have a adapter harness for the mic I'm running for bluetooth so I can cut an splice at the main connector for the radio.

I will be swapping to a newer 8.4 in a couple weeks so would like to have a plan before swapping

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you are saying that you upgraded your truck to an 8.4 from a smaller radio that didn't have the rear camera image on the radio you might want to contact @Mpgrimm2 from M2Mods,a vendor here on the forum. He sold me a harness that added the backup image on the 8.4 I installed in my 2018. M2Mods makes the most unbelievably superior quality harnesses on the planet.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks.

OP,
PLEASE DO NOT SPLICE in an aftermarket mic set up into the radio... Just bad.

I assume you came from a base Ra1 radio without mics in headliner or phone/VR buttons on the wheel / BT support.

We can build a bu camera reroute harness* for you and add in the mic wiring to support the 2013-2016 Mopar mirror header harness so you can install the upgraded mirror with mics/AutoDim (none of which have the bu cam display).

(* Still requires removing/repinning 7 wires at the radio connector)

@likes2build actually did this on his 18ram1500 if I recall correctly
See...
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1329408.

M² Mods.

Last edited:

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, I did that @Mpgrimm2 M2Mods rear camera / microphone re-route harness change and added the mirror with microphones. Pinning the connector is a pretty simple job and as a bonus I was able to source a used mirror that had microphones, auto dim AND auto high beam functions.

I was so happy to see that giant bulky Infotainment microphone harness removed and put on the shelf!!!!!

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks.

OP,
PLEASE DO NOT SPLICE in an aftermarket mic set up into the radio... Just bad.

I assume you came from a base Ra1 radio without mics in headliner or phone/VR buttons on the wheel / BT support.

We can build a bu camera reroute harness* for you and add in the mic wiring to support the 2013-2016 Mopar mirror header harness so you can install the upgraded mirror with mics/AutoDim (none of which have the bu cam display).

(* Still requires removing/repinning 7 wires at the radio connector)

@likes2build actually did this on his 18ram1500 if I recall correctly
See...
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1329408.

M² Mods.

I already have the mic run and works great I believe it's the one from the older 4th gens, and I don't want to give up the the rear view mirror with the image in it. I have lived with the blue screen but would like to just clean it up some by having the radio show the same image.

I was thinking of just tapping the video wire but didn't know if that was gonna work with the can bus system

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
You've got 2 options for the camera only reroute.
$40 reroute harness that you'd have to splice on to the 3 video wires behind the passenger air vent at the mirror header harness before it goes up the A pillar to the mirror. .. and then insert the terminals at the other end into the radio connector.
Or
$60 Reroute harness that is plug n play at the mirror header connector (pass Air vent) and still have to install the 3 wires into the radio connector.

See pictures of both here...
https://www.ramforum.com/index.php?posts/1458161

M² Mods.

OP
OP
R

Redheadhunter21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks for the options was able to tap into the 8,9,10 wires behind the vent and ran them back through the dash into the radio harness. And success so now I'm showing the backup camera on the rearview mirror and the 8.4 radio no more blue screen. Also ran some wires for the cargo cam so I can put a front mount camera.

However now I need to figure out why my USB's aren't working for music or carplay.