Rear differential multiple failures.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2019 ram 1500 classic slt still under drivetrain warranty. At 47,000 kms i thought i had a seized brake caliper but had no heat in the hubs on a road trip so i took it to a mechsnic that got authorization from dodge to look at it since there was no dodge dealers anywhere close. Mechanic said the rear diff fluid was black but no metal bits. He put it all back together with fresh fluid as dodge advised and told me to book an appointment with dodge at my final destination (which i booked for the following day). No leaks, no noise, i even crawled under my axle 3 times onnmy drive and no issues and cap still on. 7 hours later i get rear end noise but im on a snowy hill in low visibility in the middle of nowhere so i need to drive 5 minutes down the mountainous pass to find a safe place to pull over. As i hit a safe place to pull over the resr diff grenades. They tow it the opposite direction i was travelling.

My vehicle sat 2 months at the dodge lot before they were able to replace the rear diff. I pay to have it towed to me 5 hrs for 500$. The moment i drive it i hear noise and take it to the local dodge dealer 10 minutes later. Mechanic says im just breaking in the new diff, keep driving on it a week then we will do something for you if its still making noise. 2 days its a soft whir noise almost not even noticable. Day 3 loud whirr noise and i book an inspection. Mechanic calls and says it is just my winter cupped tires. I go to test drive with him after work because i disageeed ans it was making metal rsther thwn rubber noises at certain speeds mostly on immediate acceleration and deceleration. Mechanic still disagreed so i said take it apart and i will pay the bill if you find nothing. Mechanic took it apart and there were metal bits in the rear diff 3 days after the repair.

Now my vehicle sits 6 weeks waiting for new diff parts. I get the truck back and it is very stiff on turning (feels like resistance from the rear but no noise and i cant put my finger on whats wrong... it just felt different). 2 weeks later i swesr i hear the whir come back but its hard to tell if its wind on my canopy or a metal sound again. I take it to the mechanic and he blames my cupped tires again on a **** drive. He said becauae my winter tire on the right rear is stsrting to go bald, he cant rule out the tires until i put new tires on.

I let me vehicle sit in my driveway 2 months waiting for the snow to melt so i can put my descent summer tires on to see if it still has noise. (At this point i am considering selling my truck so i don't want to fork money into tires). I did drive my truck every few days just to insure nothing seized and the battery didn't die. Othet than that i barely drove it as i was worried i would damage the drive train.

Summer tires on and snow gone and i hear the noise. I just got a call from dodge saying both outer bearings on my diff are worn and need to be replaced. The noise was at 80 to 85km hr on acceleration and deceleration. My vehicle has had 3 rear diffs go within about 500km of driving to work under 10km and the occational 150km round trips.

Vehicle has 48,200 km on it. Power train expires next june or at 100,000 km. If you were in my shoes would you accept a bearing replacement for the now 4th time in that few of kms between replacements or do you think i have justification to argue the internal housing of the components must now be damaged to have that many bearings and pinions replaced? I feel like ram should replace the rear axle at this point. I am also very concerned that each time dodge told me to keep driving on it after voicing my concerns could lead to premature wear on other components. In total i think i have been out my vehicle over 6 months which is about 1000$ in vehicle insurance to have it sit at dealerships plus the $500 tow and 2000$ to insure my other truck while this one sat.

Furthermore, was there a recall on canadian rsm 1500 rear differentials? I noticed there was a recall in the US where rear differentials were not filled to specs and there were inatances of rear differentials being prematurely blown way b4 expected.

Thanks.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow, not a good rear diff experience. There was a forum post HERE recently (like last weekend) by a forum member who basically had almost the same exact story as you articulated. In general there haven't been very many diff failure posts I've seen over the yrs. So, I don't get the sense it's a common failure.

Does your truck have the rear limited slip? Are they using the correct diff lube? That would explain the 2nd diff's hard rotation on turning. At least possibly.

All in all it's difficult to explain how you could be going through so many rear diffs. They weren't all from the same year or production I doubt. Cupped tires is a lousy excuse (BTW). Thats a mechanic who doesn't want to dig into a problem he might not easily get paid for ..or have a lot of paperwork to get paid. That the problem with how these mechanics are paid (flat-rate) disincentivises digging into root-cause analysis.

It's difficult to imagine how both rear wheel bearings could be bad on a brand new rear differential. If I were you i would get ahold or RamCares on this website ...and explain your case to them. They might well take care of you and get your problem resolved to your satisfaction.

@RamCares

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to verify, they replaced parts in the current axle versus just replacing the entire thing? From my experience a dealer will often just replace the entire axle assembly because it's cheaper and easier.

If they replaced parts I would be curious to know exactly what failed and what parts were replaced. Was it the same failure each time? Yes, there is a chance the actual housing/carrier was damaged, such as if a race spun. That is also why I would like to know exactly what failed....if a bearing failed and ran metal through the ring and pinion I hope they replaced it also versus just slapping new bearings or something in it. Rebuilding the differential does require some skill, special tools, and knowledge to make sure everything is setup right. When you get into installing new gears and differential components it's not simply a bolt in and go situation.

Dbrewton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before the recall, I bought a rebuilt rear for my 2005 for 1700 bucks. When turning it felt like it was slipping then grabbing. I drained the fluid, put new fluid and the correct limited slip additive in it. Has been perfect ever since I did this 10 years ago with absolutely zero rear end noise. I use it to pull my 30ft travel trailer also. Your mechanic is stupid. Take it somewhere else and make sure they use the correct lube and additive next time.

zrock

Reaction score
I would not worry to much about running out of warranty on this you already have the documentation to back up your claim if things continue to go wrong. To me the shop that did the first repair did a 1/2 a job and probably billed warranty for the full job.. Did you get a copy of the bill showing what was changed and the work done?

OP
OP
F

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not worry to much about running out of warranty on this you already have the documentation to back up your claim if things continue to go wrong. To me the shop that did the first repair did a 1/2 a job and probably billed warranty for the full job.. Did you get a copy of the bill showing what was changed and the work done?
I tried looking for the first repair sheet from the firwt dealership but can't find it since my move. That one failed after 3 days. This is a picture of the newest work order from the 2nd rear diff repair. The other file is my rear bearings. They made bad noise within 2 weeks of the recent diff repair and probably drove under 150km (10 km each day). The mechanic at the dodge deqlership said ira cupped tires and keep driving on it.. several months later it turns out they told me to drive on bad bearings the entire time. My 4 x4 has also sounded like a turbine since the first rear diff repair. I was in 4 x 4 driving in snowy mountain conditions when my rear diff blew and i heard grinding. I have a hunch my 4 x4 somehow got damaged when the rear diff blew but the mechanic said that ian't poasible. But i havent paid for them to inapect it as their shop rate is 170 canadian an hour! I am thinking of pretending im purchasing a vehicle and **** drive my same model to see id the noises sound the same. Ive had this lemon vehixle for so long i 4got what a normal vehiccle sounds like. What woukd you do next when dealing with fca or the dealership? I also get harsh driving now at low kms like stsrts and stops ans driving under 25 km hr. Im worries all this wear from bad parts caused wear to my transmission. I almoat feel like my only option ia to sell it bec i dont trust the longevity of my truck after so many bad repairs.

Attachments

• 20230821_170635.jpg
    20230821_170635.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230821_170750.jpg
    20230821_170750.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 10

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The single biggest reason for second or subsequent diff failures is the failure by the tech to properly clean the diff housing AND TUBES. We used to tell the tech that the tubes are clean when you can pull a white rag and a black rag through them and not see any dirt or sparkles.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The magic word here is Dealersh!T :crazy:

If my old ******** Reckneck ass can rebuild diffs in his home shop with zero issues, Makes me wonder how dumb these new techs are.

ZF Axles are literally the easiest one to rebuild to top it off.

Take your truck to a real shop dude.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The magic word here is Dealersh!T :crazy:

If my old ******** Reckneck ass can rebuild diffs in his home shop with zero issues, Makes me wonder how dumb these new techs are.

ZF Axles are literally the easiest one to rebuild to top it off.

Take your truck to a real shop dude.
Rebuilding a diff ain't rocket science but attention to detail is desirable. I can't remember how many that I have done over the years ..... but lots. I was even able to quiet down some of the "singers" that would show up in the shop. It has been a few years now and probably couldn't lift the carrier assembly into place. Age does nasty things.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Age does nasty things.

Tell me about it, I think I got maybe 10 more years and Ill also have to pay people to work on my stuff :(

But I live in a small town and the local shops here are actually really good. Heck one of the shops here was the 3 master tech from GM that quit the stealership and started their own...lol...

And we have an awesome custom shop as well. My buddy got his Gladiator gear swap done there and from looking at it the gear pattern was spot on ;)

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell me about it, I think I got maybe 10 more years and Ill also have to pay people to work on my stuff :(

But I live in a small town and the local shops here are actually really good. Heck one of the shops here was the 3 master tech from GM that quit the stealership and started their own...lol...

And we have an awesome custom shop as well. My buddy got his Gladiator gear swap done there and from looking at it the gear pattern was spot on ;)
I'm still plugging away but only on my own stuff. 3/4 of a century and not always sitting at a desk takes its toll.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting old sounds great to me!!! I am 44 and have my 16 year old son do a lot of the oil changes and tire rotations...but that is from my stupid ass cancer I have. Between that and chemo, not much energy left in this guy!! 2 weeks ago the Dr. told me I am lucky if I have 6 months left, so that is why I say getting old sounds great!! Haha.

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doctors aren't always right. I know a lady that was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer 19 years ago. She was told the prognosis was not good. She is still doing good.
I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will prove the doctors wrong.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Doctors aren't always right. I know a lady that was diagnosed with stage 4 metastatic breast cancer 19 years ago. She was told the prognosis was not good. She is still doing good.
I wish you the best of luck and hopefully you will prove the doctors wrong.
Thank you!! I am a fighter. When they tell me a timeline, I just use that as fuell to prove them wrong!! I'm going to California next week to a cancer center and hopefully they will give me some better news!!

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you!! I am a fighter. When they tell me a timeline, I just use that as fuell to prove them wrong!! I'm going to California next week to a cancer center and hopefully they will give me some better news!!
Well, you take care and keep fighting. The lady I mentioned previously is actually an American but through various circumstance she was treated in Canada