Rear end whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good day all looking for some insight. My 2014 ram 1500 has started a noticeable squeal on moderate to hard acceleration. Changed water pump and belt. First thinking it was that but squeak continues. What and where should I be looking for this gremblin. Somewhat embarrassing when I accelerate to over take another vehicle and my truck is squealing like an animal lol. Please anything will help. Thank you.

MarkMac77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Is the squeal originating from the rear differential? If so, how many miles does the truck have and when was the last time you changed out the differential lube?

My wife’s old 2014 did developed a squeal from the rear differential a few years ago. It had about 170,000 miles and I wasn’t great about servicing the diff lube. The differential bearings were badly spalled. I ended up paying a differential shop ~$1200 to rebuild the differential.

The upshot is you can probably nurse the rear end along a few weeks and safe tokens. The squealing will typically worsen steadily for a while before any catastrophic failure occurs.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since you started at the front, are you sure now that it is in the rear end?
Did you change/or lube the belt tensioner? If not, the belt just might not have enough tension on it.

OP
OP
T

Toeknee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks yall for the responses. I did not change/lube pulley or belt. I can try that. I think it’s coming from the rear I hear it with my head out the window lol. Truck has 67000 on odometer

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat