Rear seat video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey guys,
I am thinking about adding rear seat video to my Ram, and I'm looking for some options. I would like to get headrest monitors, and I would like them to be able to play separate movies on each monitor as well as playing the same one. Wireless headphones are also a must.
I looked at a system at best buy for $529 that had the headrests, and all of the options I was looking for. I thought it was a fair price, but they want $200 to install it, which I thought was high.
I also talked to a local custom shop, and they quoted me around $1400 for a custom install, although this was also for a set that included the new headrests. That's more than I want to spend.
Am I wrong in thinking $200 is too much for the install at best buy? I have installed many stereos in my own vehicles before, but I want this to be done professionally. Obviously I don't want junk, either.

Am I just being a cheapskate? Are there other options out there short of the crappy monitors that strap to the headrest?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
$200 would be about right because of the other work involved. Wired have to run from both to the head rest and back and all over the place. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i personally wouldn't trust best buy guys to install it but it is a lot of wires that have to be run.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
I must have the only good best but around. Lol. I think they did a good job on installing my subs and amp. Clean and right. But I hear nothing but bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I wouldnt think $200 is a terrible price for install. If you want to do it yourself you'll obviously save but need to make sure you have the know-how before you start to tackle that project. When i weigh options like this i usually try to consider is $200 worth it for the time and effort and b.s. i would have involved into it.
Good Luck man and make sure you post pics!
I'd love to have a setup like this in my truck especially for the kids!

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed a over the head dvd player in my 09. Install isn't that hard. Going to get a lockpick for my mygig so I can play a movie on both screens.

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
$200 is a fair price. They have to remove the dash, flooring, seat covers, and wire. I would jump on the $200.

OP
OP
AV8B6015

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The more I think about this, the more I think that $200 isn't all that bad. I just don't want to spend the money!!
On a side note, they should not have to pull the dash, since this won't be integrated with the factory head unit. The monitors should just need to be hooked to each other and to power.

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just picked up a used set of rosen av7500 headrest DVD players. Install was simple I had them running in 1/2 hour(a weeknight so no time to finish). I just need put the box someplace under the middle seat. They play dvds sepereately or can play the same on both screens. They have wireless headphones and some built int video games. They also have 2 addiyional RCA inputs for a wii or xbox etc or the head unit if I get lock pic later on down the road.

DODGE RAM HEADREST DVD PLAYERS | eBay

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here they are all wired up and installed.

Attachments

• DSC00218.jpg
    DSC00218.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 121

Mad Cow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I think it will look great. I am trying to think of how I can add more screens so I can do a dual screen COD or BF3 in the truck. I have the rear video that is like 10" but when you play more then one person it is so small it's not even worth it.

Jluge2615

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Here they are all wired up and installed.

What else needed besides heat rest? Any wiring that they dont come with? I wanna buy them but dont see ant on ebay

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
How did you run the wires inside the seat? Did you have to remove the seat-back?

The wires run though the head rest post and have connectors that hook up behind the seat. On the bottom of the seat there is a flap that is held with 2 elastic straps that just slide off the springs to give you easy access.

Just took them out before I traded the the truck in so I was able to remember what I did as I was taking them out sorry I missed the reply.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i personally wouldn't trust best buy guys to install it but it is a lot of wires that have to be run.

Old thread but have to call this out. I install for Best Buy on the weekends. It is hit or miss with your store but majority have decent installers. Our area has 9 MECP Master installers alone. There are less than 300 total in the country. Don't forget that we are insured and backed by very large company. No other shop can say that. We do full inspections pre and post of your vehicle, something 99% of places don't do either. Also if one store is ****** and doesn't do a good job, you can take it to any store in the country to get it fixed (again something no one else can touch). We will also remove anything we install at no charge. We have to get trained and certified before we can even sit in a car. I've known shops that have thrown people in cars after a day or two of watching.

Sorry for the rant but I hate when we get a bad rep. We have over a 1000 install bays so of course we are going to have a few bad eggs, we even do in our own district, but what we offer no other mom and pop shop can compare. We have had people drive 3+ hours just to come to our store because they didn't like their local Best Buy, and we have a very strong word of mouth.

We fix stuff weekly from other local shops, that charged more than we would. Two weeks ago I had a guy come in because he had 4 speakers and an amp installed, when the car was off the speakers still made noise. I looked for the amplifier and found it mounted to the steering column, I could of adjusted the gains by tilting the steering wheel up.

Not saying all locals are bad, but do your research, talk to any installers about your install, look for reviews, and just do your research fully.

Last edited:

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Old thread but have to call this out. I install for Best Buy on the weekends. It is hit or miss with your store but majority have decent installers. Our area has 9 MECP Master installers alone. There are less than 300 total in the country. Don't forget that we are insured and backed by very large company. No other shop can say that. We do full inspections pre and post of your vehicle, something 99% of places don't do either. Also if one store is ****** and doesn't do a good job, you can take it to any store in the country to get it fixed (again something no one else can touch). We will also remove anything we install at no charge. We have to get trained and certified before we can even sit in a car. I've known shops that have thrown people in cars after a day or two of watching.

Sorry for the rant but I hate when we get a bad rep. We have over a 1000 install bays so of course we are going to have a few bad eggs, we even do in our own district, but what we offer no other mom and pop shop can compare. We have had people drive 3+ hours just to come to our store because they didn't like their local Best Buy, and we have a very strong word of mouth.

We fix stuff weekly from other local shops, that charged more than we would. Two weeks ago I had a guy come in because he had 4 speakers and an amp installed, when the car was off the speakers still made noise. I looked for the amplifier and found it mounted to the steering column, I could of adjusted the gains by tilting the steering wheel up.

Not saying all locals are bad, but do your research, talk to any installers about your install, look for reviews, and just do your research fully.

Nothing like a shameless plug for BBY. on a 2year old post.. :)

i will be honest i have worked at both big box and small ma-pa shops. BOTH have their bad apples. i started out at a big box, went to independents then back to big box.

big box are known for taking "rookie" installers and having them work on cars usually right away after little training (i witnessed this first hand at bby).

unless its a very "fly by night" craigslist type installer (any good business man run store) it will have insurance to cover their a$$. BBy's insurance policy for this types of accidents really is no different than what any business owner can have. i have actually witnessed first hand BBY trying to deny claims even though they were proven to be installers faults.

i have seen hack/terrible installer at all shops ma-pa and big box. However i personally have seen more claims at a bby then i did in my 10+ years in ma-pa shops combined. i saw numerous speakers punctured by drills, i saw screws go through they roof on overheads, i saw main harnesses pierced when trying to go the engine, one guy, i actually saw an airbag go also. but on the flip side i have seen commission based installer that would do alarms and remote starts and it was a complete mess.

the most important thing like you said is to do your research. Ask for pics. 98% of people have a cam with them at all times. i know many installers that even take pics of their basic installs like a remote start. to show their quality.