Rear Seats Stuck in Up Position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Longhorn crewcab. The rear seats are stuck/locked in the up position with very little movement before they lock in place. I have tried to "slowly" move them back down, lubricated the hinges and everything else I could think of and find online but nothing works. I then brought it to the dealership (I have the lifetime warranty) and they said the hinges are bad and need to be replaced but they are back ordered and will take at least 4 - 6 weeks to come in. The dealership tech left both rear seats in the up position and gave my truck back to me and told me I have to wait for the new hinges.

Well now I am needing to use the rear seats for passengers/child car seat and am hoping someone can think of something else that I haven't been able to figure out.

OP
OP
16Longhorn

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: I was able to get both seats down... but they are now locked in the down position. At least I can have passengers use them now.

What I did was took a flat head screw driver and pushed down on the lower part of the inner hinge for both seats. I tried to raise the seat to take a picture of where I pushed on the hinge to show everyone but like I said... it's now locked in the down position. Now I just have to wait for the new hinges to come in so I don't have to worry about this anymore.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rear seat backs do not fold down from the factory. You need to modify the locking bracket to get them to lower.
I think he is talking about the seat bases. Mine are VERY stiff from either up or down position, but just need to tug on them "smartly" and they work just fine.

OP
OP
16Longhorn

16Longhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rear seat backs do not fold down from the factory. You need to modify the locking bracket to get them to lower.
Yes I know that the seat backs (the part that people lean back on) don't fold down. I am talking about the actual seat (the part that people sit on) that is supposed to move (fold up and down).

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I had the same problem on my truck. At first it wouldn't lock in the upright position. When I finally got it to lock, no manner of force could get it back down. I even tried using the Force but that didn't work. I had to get a little screwdriver and pry the little locking cams down so the seat would release. Of course, yeah, of course, the seat is now locked in the down position. My next plan is to remove the seat, take the hinges/locks apart and lube the crap out of them. Maybe fabricate/replace the little cam springs. I plan on doing the seat back mod at the same time. Time... I need more of it to complete these projects! LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat