Rear View Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Articgo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummings
Purchased a RAM 4500 Cab and Chassis, put a bed on it and mounted the camera. (factory, and came with the truck). All I get is a blue screen, the "bed" camera works fine. The "Dealer wants me to leave it there for 2 days. Any advice?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe they also need to string the wire along the frame, into the engine compartment & back into the cab to the radio

Hillbilly1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 V6
My truck (2022 RAM 1500, 16,000 miles) continues to have the same blue screen problems. I got a dealer appointment. They said I had a bad camera. 3 weeks later they got the part. Yesterday, they replaced the camera. Drove it home and started it up this morning. Blue screen said "Check Entire Surroundings" again. After I drove it an hour, it worked but it says "Check Entire Surrounds" for a few seconds, then the words go away. This is a gently used truck, but my wife won't drive it without that camera working. Any ideas? I just don't think I should have to work on a problem that the dealer can't seem to fix. If they can't fix an issue, RAM should issue a service bulletin. and or a recall. This is a safety issue.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My truck (2022 RAM 1500, 16,000 miles) continues to have the same blue screen problems. I got a dealer appointment. They said I had a bad camera. 3 weeks later they got the part. Yesterday, they replaced the camera. Drove it home and started it up this morning. Blue screen said "Check Entire Surroundings" again. After I drove it an hour, it worked but it says "Check Entire Surrounds" for a few seconds, then the words go away. This is a gently used truck, but my wife won't drive it without that camera working. Any ideas? I just don't think I should have to work on a problem that the dealer can't seem to fix. If they can't fix an issue, RAM should issue a service bulletin. and or a recall. This is a safety issue.

Every vehicle I've ever owned with a backup camera ALWAYS pops up 'check entire surroundings' when I put it in reverse, whether the camera is functioning or not. That's done for safety - they don't want you relying JUST on the camera to back up, you should also check mirrors and physically turn and look behind you to see if another car is approaching or what have you.

That said, I have ONCE seen the blue screen pop up on my wife's truck, I have not seen it at all on mine yet. Her tailgate rarely gets used, mine is used much more often, so I'd think if either truck was going to have problems it would be mine. If the problem is intermittent then they're going to have trouble diagnosing it, if you can find a common, recurring issue that occurs to make the blue screen appear you can help them out. The time my wife's didn't work, I believe something in the computer simply didn't load properly (which happens), because the next time we drove the truck, it functioned normally and has since.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 'check entire surroundings' warning pops up regardless of the camera working. I don't like the camera so I put a piece of electricians tape over the tailgate lens. I still see the warning, even though the camera can't see anything, and the screen still comes on but at least it's black and I don't have to deal with it irritating me out of the corner of my eye.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The 'check entire surroundings' warning pops up regardless of the camera working. I don't like the camera so I put a piece of electricians tape over the tailgate lens. I still see the warning, even though the camera can't see anything, and the screen still comes on but at least it's black and I don't have to deal with it irritating me out of the corner of my eye.
See the camera is incredibly useful for some things, like lining up a hitch ball or making sure you don't slam into the guardrail behind the spot you're backing into. Or to make sure the neighbor kid isn't hiding behind your truck.

But it's not meant to take the place of looking around before/while you're moving.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
See the camera is incredibly useful for some things, like lining up a hitch ball or making sure you don't slam into the guardrail behind the spot you're backing into. Or to make sure the neighbor kid isn't hiding behind your truck.

But it's not meant to take the place of looking around before/while you're moving.
I fully understand, and would never disparage someone wanting to use one. However, I've hauled about every conceivable type of trailer in my life, and maintained a CDL for 30 years before I retired, and I just find it kind of useless. Especially since Big Brother decided that all vehicles are required to have one, even if the owner doesn't want one, and you can't disable it even when it's not needed. And my closest neighbors are over 1/2 mile away, and none of the 5 families within 3 miles of me has any kids. Yes, we're rather rural.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
grab a can of electrical contacts cleaner, i prefer CRC or LPS

Behind the license plate, you will find a connection. The wire comes out of the bottom of the tailgate.
Unplug it, look inside for bent pins, spray contact cleaner into both the male & female ends, care fully replug both sides.

Check your radio screen for a picture.

If there is still no picture:
Open the inspection cover on the tailgate
find the camera & unplug it,
the procedure is the same as above.

There is a 3rd connection:
directly behind the rear tire on the drivers side
look around the trucks frame for it.
Again follow the same procedure